• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

24/11/09 Arsenal vs Standard Liege 19:45 Skysports Xtra

Viking

General said:
Gibbs has a broken metatarsal. Stupid shot to take if you ask me. Grates me when I see young defenders risk a counter attack with silly decision making when we have so many men forward. It didn't matter as the game was already won but professionalism shouldn't go out of the window. He should've just passed the ball now he has a broken foot.
So basically Gibbs should've been psychic and known that his foot would collide with the player who tackled him. Brilliant.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

I hate reading some of you guys views after a game, I felt like we fought hard and considering the lack of height in the side we really did battle well. Our football was fairly decent, especially in the first half and we should have scored a few. We may not have dazzled and scored 5 but we probably had an eye on the Chelsea game, we largely dominated and managed a clean sheet (with a bit of luck). Some people expect way too much every week...

Good result, good performance, clean sheet, job done.

Songs a monster.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
3 points

top the group guaranteed

can play second stringers against Olympiakos and the outcome doesnt matter

only 2 blights on the game is Gibbs' injury and Gallas' potential injury

oh, and 'Pool is out..

General

Established Member
Denilson did very well. I said he was a disaster as the main defensive shield and the point still stands but he is probably the best CM option after Cesc in the new formation. Nasri simply doesn't work hard enough and Rosicky is far too flashy. Denilson did in fact relieve some of the defensive burden on Song but more importantly added some positional discipline to the centre. I hope Wenger picks him against the tossers. Going forward, there seemed to be a glaring lack of calmness in the final third and we must do better on Sunday when chances are bound to be few and far in-between.

James

Established Member
Indeed, Denilson's performance was very good, particularly given how long he's been out for. I think he's under-rated in terms of the engine he has, and the ground he covers.

Share the concerns surrounding his capabilities in replacing Song, but in that role and formation, sharing some of the defensive burden with Song, and keeping the possession and tempo ticking, he's particularly good.

For me anyway :lol:

The Gambler

Agreed, the Denilson/Song combination worked well and - importantly - wasn't detrimental to our attacking capabilities. It shows we can create plenty of chances without having to burden Song with all the clearing up duties.

Although we were lucky not to concede, it's a case of job done.

graham_ka

Established Member
Our ball movement was night and day better than Saturday, whether that was the opponent, playing at home, or the inclusion of Denilson, I am not sure.

banduan

Established Member
actually, I thought all the returning players (denilson, theo, rozza) looked rusty, with glimpses of their best mixed with glimpses of their not so best

AliBabaBrewer

Is Wenger just trying to get the most out of his contractual money for Silvestre or something?

Senderos should've been on the bench tonight.

I kinda miss him.

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Just finished watching the game. Though we dominated possession, we did allow a few breakaways and some open shots on goal that were much too close for comfort. Song was immense, MOTM for me too. All in all, statistics wise, a stroll in the park, but with two(?) of their shots hitting the post, you have to keep wondering about our ability to really squeeze out teams.

Gurgen

Established Member
James said:
AnthonyG said:
Gurgen said:
Pretty shocking performance all round. Song did well though.
We were that much better than them, I thought our players did well not to fall asleep.
Our Gurge is never happy.

You know, it's not that I'm not happy with the win, I'm delighted, but our attitude has consequences.

A lot of the injuries we pick up in meaningless matches are the result of complacency. Players go into tackles half hearted or dribble into the opposition and get hurt. It almost happened with Song yesterday. Cesc also got a lot of kicks because he couldn't be bothered to move the ball quickly. Then of course he had to pick a fight with some no mark. So it doesn't surprise me one bit that Gibbs has broken his foot, even though that wasn't really his fault. Also, our arrogance winds up the opposition who start to go into tackles harder and harder.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
I just don't understand why we played key players when we have a game against Chelsea on saturday and this is a meaningless easy win at home

asajoseph

Established Member
It was a pretty dreadful match in the second half, no doubt, and the atmosphere in the stadium was REALLY flat once the Liege fans ran out of breath.

belgianfan

Surprised some of you are negative. We were much better than them. Created chances and were dominating the position and we showed some very nice football. Here in belgium everybody said we showed some stunning combinations at times.

I think you guys are underestimating standard a bit. They are not a world class side but at times they can play some great football. Remember liverpool and everton last year. It's a young side but I'm glad they have alot of injuries and that witsel isn't fully fit yet.

One negative point was the atmosphere, I could only hear those arrogant standard fans. Now we'll have to hear in belgium yet again what great fans they are and blabla.....

Viking

General said:
Not really James. My gripe is with the decision to take the unnecesary shot(It was naive and unnecessary) rather than the injury. The latter could've happened at any point during the game. Meh, step up potato head because Traore against Chelsea would be disastrous.

AnthonyG said:
General said:
Gibbs has a broken metatarsal. Stupid shot to take if you ask me. Grates me when I see young defenders risk a counter attack with silly decision making when we have so many men forward. It didn't matter as the game was already won but professionalism shouldn't go out of the window. He should've just passed the ball now he has a broken foot.
C'mon. If it went on that, it was probably going to go anyway.

Probably not. The impact with the Liege player's foot was what caused it I think.
_46797214_gibbs466.jpg

Obviously Gibbs' own fault, not the ****ed up challenge.

patrick42uk

Established Member
Interesting comments from Wenger on Brazilian ankles

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/30415/Wenger_I_think_Brazilians_have_shorter_ankles.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/30 ... nkles.aspx</a>

I'v always believed technique to be genetic personally but I dont know if this is specifically the reason. I suppose maybe for shooting. I think what makes Brazilians good dribblers is the same as what makes them good dancers, in general, and that comes from the hips.

alboots101

Established Member
Clrnc said:
I just don't understand why we played key players when we have a game against Chelsea on saturday and this is a meaningless easy win at home

this game was more vital than the chavs game.

asajoseph

Established Member
I have no idea about the physics of it, but my first guess about his goal would be that it had more to do with it being a loopy shot on a very windy night than short ankles.

Top Bottom