• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

29 Wed UEFA Champions League A Manchester United 19:45

progman07

Established Member
Some stuff Wenger said, related to Ferguson and Man Utd:

On Sir Alex Ferguson’s visit to Emirates Stadium…
“I thought he was coming to watch Middlesbrough? He knows we have good red wine in the Directors’ Box! I think he knows us and he’ll think it will be an exciting game between two teams who try to play. We know each other well but still the talent on the pitch always surprises you. But I believe that both teams will go for it and it will be an exciting game.

“[did you speak to him?] Yes, we are polite here, we greet people. I went up to the Directors’ Box before the game like I always do.”

On Man United warming up with a comeback against Tottenham…
“Yes, Tottenham played well. In fairness I didn’t see the second half I saw the first and during the period I saw, Tottenham played very well."

On Man United’s recent defensive form…
“We will be faithful to the game we play and we go like we go everywhere in Europe, to try and score a goal or two to win the game. What is important on Wednesday night is to be at our best. When we are at our best we can beat anybody so let’s focus on us to be at our best and not to speculate on any weakness of Man United because they have the experience. But if we play at our best we have a good chance and we can do it.”

On the players returning from injury…
“Adebayor is just coming back from injury, Djourou as well. Djourou’s knee was not 100 per cent but he came through – I will decide that on Tuesday or Wednesday. Djourou came through the game well we will have to see how he responds tomorrow. I believe the only serious problem we have from today is Silvestre, he has a back spasm. He is a 50:50 [for Old Trafford].”
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/-we-enjoy-the-way-we-play-and-love-the-game-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... -the-game-</a>

Jameel46

Established Member
Anzac said:
nazo said:
Anzac said:
I don't think Eboue was particularly good defensively today - was out of position far too often & allowed the wide man plenty of room behind him.

We were playing against Boro for crying out loud :p
Come to think of it, Eboue always seems to do well against ManU when playing at RB.

so why should it make any difference who we were playing against in regards to his performance / ability? The only real difference are the odds of him getting away with it & us not being punished.

OR he needed to be more offensive against a team like Boro and concentrate more on attacking than defending. Obviously against United he'd have to have the opposite mentality. Attacking is his strong point not defending so he stuck to his strong points and he did well.

still wanting to aim a gun at him when he's doing well :lol:

xcdude24

Established Member
In some ways, I think Manure have gotten kind of lucky in the past few weeks, because frankly they've been very poor as well. If they didn't play Sp**s, they probably wouldn't have won that game against another team. This being said, I doubt we'll win at OT, just because our defense is so fragile. Deploying Djourou ahead of Silvestre will be a HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE bonus, but they've got so many weapons that they're bound to score. The slightly good news is that they're defensively fragile as well, and although we look toothless in attack at times, I'm fairly confident we can nick at least one in.

The name of the game will be damage control, though. This can easily be a 4-1 Manure game if we're defensively careless like we were at anfield.

JazzG

Established Member
kel varnsen said:
as for sagna, i wouldn't risk it. eboue has played well recently, while sagna has not. in fact, sagna has been fairly poor the entire season.

As always the problem with Eboue is his work rate, if he gets caught up field there is a good chance he is going jog back into position and Sagna while not at his best will at give us the work rate needed to track runners and get back. While Sagna was poor against Liverpool his performances this season haven't been as good as last season but that Liverpool game was a one off in terms of how bad he was. I think he was rushed back in personally and apart from possibly Arshavin and Nasri a lot of players let us down at Anfield.

Nela

Established Member
Sagna will play of course. The only question in my mind is whether it will be at RB or LB.

progman07

Established Member
Nela said:
Sagna will play of course. The only question in my mind is whether it will be at RB or LB.
RB. I'm 100% sure Gibbs will be given another run-out after playing quite well in the FA semi.

A_Gooner_Matata

Established Member
The nerves are already starting to kick in...if there's one team you want to beat it's Manyoo, and if there's a game you want to win it's the Champions League semifinal. Huge.

asajoseph

Established Member
So I was walking back from the Tolly after the game today, and for those who don't know it, it's on the corner of Tollington road and Hornsey road, just round the corner from the players car's entrance to the ground. Anyhow, about 2 hours after the game has ended, Baca Sagna had pulled his car up a little way down from the pub, and was signing a few autographs and taking pictures with a few of the kids.

And someone asked him - are you back for Utd? His answer?

"Maybe".

There, you have it from the horses mouth - if that doesn't settle it, nothing will!

Rohit

Established Member
I think Wenger will start with Bendtner on the left of midfield with Nasri, Cesc and Song in the center. I wouldn't mind that to be honest.

progman07

Established Member
asajoseph said:
So I was walking back from the Tolly after the game today, and for those who don't know it, it's on the corner of Tollington road and Hornsey road, just round the corner from the players car's entrance to the ground. Anyhow, about 2 hours after the game has ended, Baca Sagna had pulled his car up a little way down from the pub, and was signing a few autographs and taking pictures with a few of the kids.

And someone asked him - are you back for Utd? His answer?

"Maybe".

There, you have it from the horses mouth - if that doesn't settle it, nothing will!
Interesting. I still don't get your point, though, probably because reading it isn't the same as seeing it. Does it mean he will get back if he recovers well, or that he is now facing real competition? :?

Viking

I'm probably not gonna be in the match-thread on Wednesday, so I'm just gonna do this now:

We're gonna lose, United are the FRIGGIN' Champions of THE WORLD!!1
Definite 5-0 loss for us. No chance. They're better than Brazil 1982, and Ronaldo is better than Pelé.

@ Entropy
You said it right, when you said you didn't get the point.

number_0

Established Member
Hey guys, I (somehow) managed to grab a bunch of tickets for the game, was wondering if there was any transportation for the away fans to the stadiam, I am from manchester but would like to know if the club would arrange any transportation or such.
cheers

Raider

Established Member
number_0 said:
Hey guys, I (somehow) managed to grab a bunch of tickets for the game, was wondering if there was any transportation for the away fans to the stadiam, I am from manchester but would like to know if the club would arrange any transportation or such.
cheers

Call the “Contact Centre” on 02076195000 and follow the instructions through to an operator who can book your travel.

If anything I'd advise you to book a VIP Coach ride up there. A tad expensive at £78, but its a Champions League Semi, might as well travel in that extra bit of comfort.

The price includes a tabled vehicle with Sky TV, hostess, tea, coffee, soft drinks and a return food service according to Arsenal.com

kel varnsen

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
People actually want Eboue to play right back over Sagna?

yes. he's a better right back atm imo. sagna's been terrible this season. eboue has done well at right back.

so what if he has lapses from time to time. it's not as if sagna is the perfect right back either; he was absolutely man handled against liverpool. one of the worst performances by any full back at arsenal in years. not to mention, he offers zero going forward. nothing. we won't defend our way to the final. if we are to beat united, we need to attack well.

Top Bottom