• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

About Celta De Vigo

lewdikris

Established Member
Ok, so we got these guys, what do we know about them?

1. They have no real 'stars'. Savo Milosevic, Juanfran and Mostovoi are their most highprofile players, and at 35 Mostovoi is not the player he was. Milosevic improved greatly after leaving Aston Villa (who wouldn't?!). Juanfran is real good, and a fixture of the national team.

2. They may be Spanish, but they're a defensive team primarily. They don't score a lot of goals. They usually play 4-5-1. Against Real last year they played 7-3-0 - unsurprisingly, they got a draw! Expect much the same against us, particularly at Highbury.

3. They have Silvinho, and it would be nice to see him again...

4. They have their own Edu, who's pretty decent, apparently.

5. We tried to flog Kanu to them in the summer, but he didn't wanna go - and Cabellero, their Argentinian goalie was apparently on Wenger's longlist of potential replacements for Seaman.

6. This is a good draw for us. No nasty weather to surprise us, a style of football which suits us, and a team who are in rancid form domestically ... they're currently in the bottom four of La Liga.

7. Roll on February.

Adam

Established Member
Get something away from home and score an away goal (where we prosper due to space, and the other teams attacking attitude) so it forces them to play their unnatural attacking game at Highbury.

beaney

yeah nice one! very knowledgable lewdikris.

would like to see silvinho again, i really liked him thought he was a top player, would be good to see how he fares against freddie!!!

a good draw for us i reckon

Adam

Established Member
I remember when they had Karpin and Mostovoi, with G. Lopez in midfield and they were very dangerous. They are slightly over the hill now.

Robin

I think the most dangerous player in his team is Alexander Mostovoi. We have to stop him. He can make a lot of trouble to our team.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Adam said:
I remember when they had Karpin and Mostovoi, with G. Lopez in midfield and they were very dangerous. They are slightly over the hill now.

Yeh I agree. We would have faced Valery Karpin had we drawn Real Sociedad.

PolishGooner

They have Silvinho too. Maybe you dont remember buy their goalkeeper - Cavallero was linked with Arsenal this summer

I`m really unhappy. I wanted Stuttgart or Sparta so I could go and watch that game :cry:

AFCG7

Established Member
Their key players will be Catanha, Edu , Mostovoi , Milosevic and a name always forgotten Benni Mcarthy who has been in good form in the league this season.
Mostovoi is the main man.. and Edu is dangerous... Sol will have to be good v Milosevic he's big and powerful and not easy to sahke off the ball.
Still.. we should be able to hold them off..good news is that the away leg is first for us so we can hit em on the break in spain

mayoud

About the best draw we could get, all we need now is for their abysmal current form to last into the New year and spring.

A

Anonymous

AFCG7 said:
and a name always forgotten Benni Mcarthy who has been in good form in the league this season.

:?:

I dont know how you work that out as im sure he plays for Porto now.
Hes a worry for the mancs, not us.

Rupert

They are currently 4th from bottom in the Spanish League and won just 3 of their 15 games in the league. However their last match saw them see off AC Milan 2-1 away.

JGooner

Jesuli's goal against AC was class. They are technically excellent and defensively tough - a bit like Deportivo but without the stars. They will not be a walkover and their domestic form will have improved by February, giving them more confidence. But this is still a good draw for us, given that we could have got Bayern or Deportivo.

Adam

Established Member
Depor defensively tough? I'd make the comparison with Valencia who are a Spanish side with a strong defence.

torgrim

Celta was the weakest team, and I'm sure glad we got them. Shouldn't pose any threats over two games, but I'm slightly conserned over the entertainment value at Highbury since they'll probably barricade themselves in their own box and try for counter attacks. Mostovoi is very precise at set-pieces and also scores from long range every now and then. I'm sure as hell going to pay better attention the next time I see them at Eurogoals, come February, I do not want any unpleasant surprises.

r_blair2

Deportivo ????

This season - Monoco 7 - Deportivo 3

UEFA Cup Finalist Season - Arsenal 5 - Deportivo 1

------- :?: I would be s****** myself if we got them right enough :roll: --------

Latest posts

Top Bottom