• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain: Less Ox, More Snake

Status
Not open for further replies.

a_fourteen

Established Member
Wondering how the Ox fits into Wenger's plans. With the arrival of Sanchez (hopefully) and the potential we will also hang on to Campbell (hopefully) we have better wide attacking options than the Ox. Does that mean he now plays exclusively through the middle? And if so how much playing time can he expect? He's got to get past Özil, Ramsey, Wilshere, Rosicky and dare I say it even Diaby to start in a central midfield role. He's spent three seasons with us and given his talent should be locking down a starting role at this point.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Re: What next for the Ox?

Needs to stay fit before he can be considering an option for anything. If he stays fit I'd expect him to take Rosicky's spot.

DasBootist

I fully expect Oxlade-Chamberlain to cement his place in the starting eleven, this coming season.

Where? I hear some of you ask. Well, as part of the three behind the forward (be it Giroud, Walcott or somebody else), making it Chambo, Özil and Sanchez.

He's simply too talented to not be in the starting eleven, assuming he isn't out injured.

dave_rwr

Established Member

DasBootist said:
I fully expect Oxlade-Chamberlain to cement his place in the starting eleven, this coming season.

Where? I hear some of you ask. Well, as part of the three behind the forward (be it Giroud, Walcott or somebody else), making it Chambo, Özil and Sanchez.

He's simply too talented to not be in the starting eleven, assuming he isn't out injured.

Özil flanked by two strong, stocky and fast wingers does sound pretty mouthwatering..

ASAP Berg

Established Member

It looks great on paper, but it depends on how Sanchez fits in. For Chile he plays a similar role to Cazorla for me, starting out left but dropping deep and helping out the midfielders, turning on the ball driving forward, and the guy can pass. So sort of a winger/playmaker who can score.

So if you have him and Özil swapping over, then I feel you need the right winger to make forward runs, play higher up, just like Walcott.

If we have Chamberlain and Sanchez on the wings I feel they will be too central, need to see Chamberlain being more direct, he's been playing much like a central midfielder at times.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

With Sanchez and probably Campbell coming in we'll have plenty of depth in attack, and hopefully this will result in a lot of rotating of players.

Ox should get plenty of opportunities to stake his claim.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐

I want Ox to really step up, likewise with Wilshere.

Also I hope next season Ox is started as a winger, be it on the left or right, I hope we well and truly kill the notion of Ox being a central player. Be it CAM, or B2B (the thought of the latter makes me wanna vomit.)

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer

Ox HAS stepped up though, he was genuinly great several times last season and looked quality more often than not. The problem is he hasn't been able to stay fit, if he did he would've started almost every game last season due to Walcott's injury.

Wilshere is a different case as he looks like a player who began believing his own hype, trying to do too much pretty much every time he gets the ball.

Bigbludfire

Established Member

Campbell isn't ahead of the OX. Some of you lot are going into overdrive over Cambell.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐

Dokaka said:
Ox HAS stepped up though, he was genuinly great several times last season and looked quality more often than not. The problem is he hasn't been able to stay fit, if he did he would've started almost every game last season due to Walcott's injury.

Wilshere is a different case as he looks like a player who began believing his own hype, trying to do too much pretty much every time he gets the ball.

By step up I mean influence games on a more consistent basis, I know Ox had his injuries but there were still a couple of games that passed him by, which is normal for a player only 20 years of age. I'm guilty myself of forgetting just how young he is.

Wilshere, I agree is a different case. We know he has the ability, and has already had his breakthrough season. Now he needs to show what he can do week in week out (or whenever he's picked), he himself has admitted it's a big season for him, he's not an 18 year old kid anymore.

a_fourteen

Established Member

This rotation stuff is all balls. It is not easy to rotate out top or in form players. I think Wenger has some tough choices to make regards to Podolski, Campbell and even the need to persist with Rosicky.

ASAP Berg

Established Member

But I think you need to rotate the players who play at high speed, who can easily pickup knocks from defenders making stupid tackles. I'm glad we now have 3 pacy wingers in Alexis, Walcott, Chamberlain. Briliant choice of wingers.

For example for this WC both Ox and Walcott were injured, they are so injury prone, so I'm glad we have Alexis and Cazorla available to start as our wingers.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Last season Walcott, Ox and Podolski all suffered injuries that kept them out for half of the season. When they come back next season we shouldn't expect them to play every match.

Last season Ramsey and Özil both picked up injuries because we overplayed them, and frankly when players get injured you're forced to "rotate" players anyways.

If we have attacking options that won't result in a significant drop in form, which we do, we should try to rotate our players a bit more next season.

Suave Gooner89

Established Member

Sanchez
Chamberlain Özil Walcott

Sanchez to be deployed as a roaming forward, interchanging with Walcott - that's my master vision (assuming we don't bring in a top striker).

The pace, movement, and dynamism would be breathtaking: Özil would have a field day surrounded by those three players.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover

IF Alexis and Debuchy arrive, I very much like the fact we would finally have a good offensive fullback. He makes tons of forward runs and with him around we wouldnt need anyone from our wing position to stick to his side but could easily drop in like SAnti, or go all the way up like Theo. As much as its nice to have Alexis, having Debuchy would be of a huge importance for our tactics

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle

Ox-------Özil------Alexis

Would be my first choice three behind the striker.

a_fourteen

Established Member

The Jury said:

So you'd pass on Theo and his 15-20 goals per season? Bold.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle

a_fourteen said:
This rotation stuff is all balls. It is not easy to rotate out top or in form players. I think Wenger has some tough choices to make regards to Podolski, Campbell and even the need to persist with Rosicky.

Yeah, form and injury dictate rotation most of the time anyway. You dont take a player out if he's in form and in rude health. You may think about keeping him safe before a massive game, but that's where it should end. If you have a squad you can afford to get what you can out of them, then give them a breather because you have to, not because you want to be needlessly clever.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle

a_fourteen said:
The Jury said:

So you'd pass on Theo and his 15-20 goals per season? Bold.

He's not really in my thinking yet. Of the two, I prefer Alexis anyway. I expect him to do at least as much damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom