<

Alex Runarsson: Welcome to Arsenal

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by yousif_arsenal, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Jason Jace

Jason Jace Member

We are saying the same thing mate

Height is not really what makes a good goalkeeper

2. Jason Jace

Jason Jace Member

1.93m

3. pigge

pigge Wishes Wrestling Fans Liked Him

Well, I'm saying height matters. But its not the only thing. Its better to be tall basically.

4. akhil

akhil Well-Known Member

What if he's average height for a keeper but has long arms and above average hand size? Wouldn't that matter more than just height? If they have a long legs and a short torso, you're center of gravity is higher which will make it harder for you to pivot and hit the ground faster. Aren't these kind of physical factors more important than just height if you're above a passable height.

If you look at the NFL combine, they measure these kind of traits based on the position you play in.

truth_hurts and drippin like this.
  5. Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility

Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility Not a Closet Spurs Fan

The only situation where height can be a noticeable advantage is during claiming crosses or catching/punching loose balls up in the air. And if that was a really important thing Matt Macey would've been our No.1 keeper. But he's not. Being good with your feet, being a good shot stopper in 1 v 1 situations, being able to play as sweeper keeper, combined are the definitive requirements for a more modern goalkeeper.

6. Jason Jace

Jason Jace Member

Spot on,
    Having Good technique is what makes a good keeper not being a giant

I can even go as far as saying being too tall makes you slow as footballer( which includes goal keepers)

7. Pyres7

Pyres7 Well-Known Member

As a short term solution yeah. Or would you rather have two good keepers and not strengthen our midfield?

If we had money we would have signed one a long time ago. The first team is the priority, if we sign Aouar/Partey it's a great window.

8. kash2

kash2 Obsessed With Jury

short keepers matter!

9. Jason Jace

Jason Jace Member

1.85m is not short

10. kash2

kash2 Obsessed With Jury

timid keepers matter!

11. ThorKetill83

ThorKetill83 New Member

More like obvious fact since he is Rúnarsson

Aubameyang son would be “Pierreson” if he was icelandic

Rimaal likes this.
  12. vantoure

vantoure Well-Known Member

Already dislike him :(

13. Vanpayslip

Vanpayslip Active Member

I bet you’re a bundle of laughs at a dinner party.

14. pigge

pigge Wishes Wrestling Fans Liked Him

Your funfacts probable gets people going :lol:

Vanpayslip likes this.
  15. TromsoGooner

TromsoGooner Well-Known Member

I strongly disagree, espcially in the PL where many teams still use crosses and set pieces a lot. Of course it`s important to have a goalkeeper that can take pressure off the defenders when you are being bombarded with crosses away to Burnley or Sheffild United. A lot of defenders will tell you so. Of course there are excellent goalkeepers that are not that big but most of the really good GKs in the PL the last 15-20 years have been very tall. Seaman, Van Der Sar, Cech, De Gea (until recently),Allison and P Scheimchel were all at least 191cm or taller.

16. ThorKetill83

ThorKetill83 New Member

ok... just informing you about the icelandic name system. We dont have family names.

17. Vanpayslip

Vanpayslip Active Member

Sorry if you are offended but my first post in this thread was a joke and I didn’t mean to sound insensitive to the Icelandic naming convention.

ThorKetill83 likes this.
  18. ThorKetill83

ThorKetill83 New Member

Not offended ... just did not get your joke :p

19. Taneruit

Taneruit Well-Known Member

Watching him for the first time tonight and while Iceland doesn't play out of the back and he wasn't tested too much I have to say: I'm impressed.

Especially his distribution was excellent, found his man on nearly every occasion in some very good positions. Is also not afraid to take responsibility and direct his defense.

And not that everything was perfect or this was remotely the most challenging game (Belgium looks one of the worst I've ever seen them in recent times tbh), but I would lie if I wasn't more confident in him as our number 2 after tonight than I was before.

20. Tosker

Tosker Does Not Hate Foreigners

Iker Casillas is 1.82