• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alexandre Lacazette: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

You guys forget how good Giroud was for us. Go back and watch his goals and assists to wake yourselves.
He was garbage and cost us the league when he was with us. I think it’s you guys who have the rose tinted glasses I remember his season long droughts infront of goal tbh.
We tried to replace him damn near every summer and for one reason or another it just didn’t work out.

He was in much better teams and he was still one of the most frustrating Arsenal players to watch. Don’t miss him at all.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
You guys forget how good Giroud was for us. Go back and watch his goals and assists to wake yourselves.
The same **** people are saying about Laca was the same **** they were saying about Giroud when he was here:

"Not good enough!", "Too slow!", "He's a donkey!".

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

I think Giroud was more influential for us than Lacazette, he’d provide us with a different threat too as we could get crosses into the box and he’d usually be on the end of them.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
I think Giroud was more influential for us than Lacazette, he’d provide us with a different threat too as we could get crosses into the box and he’d usually be on the end of them.
Don't get me started with the crosses. It was always a problematic aspect be it Sagna, Clichy, Bellerin, Iwobi or Walcott.
The only players who could cross from the flanks were Nacho, Alexis and Özil.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

If Benzema was in the picture Giroud would never be starter for France.

Him getting the nod doesn’t necessarily prove his quality, Giroud has always been afforded chance after chance at the top level without any real merit he’s just privileged. Mustafi has a WC medal and players like Martial and Sane (after winning the league) didn’t even get call ups, I personally don’t give a sh*t about internationals tbh.

Lacazette is a more rounded striker albeit not particularly excelling at anything, other than he had super cool composure when he joined and can create and finish chances on his own. He was my favourite player to watch last season by a long shot.

We are not exactly supplying him with a plethora of chances - unlike Donkey Giroud when he was here.

Benzema isn’t the one being mentioned, he was never in contention. Like I said before, Giroud hardly played for us in the lead up to the tournament yet he still made the squad. It just shows that Lacazette isn’t rated, not that it matters as Deschamps is a clown tbf but don’t divert from my main point.

My initial post was comparing both Giroud and Lacazette, also the criticism Giroud received from our own fans for his average goal scoring numbers yet both players have very similar stats. We paid 12m for Giroud which if you look at his stats was a decent return however I don’t expect those same stats from our 52m marquee signing in Lacazette.

I understand at the beginning why people were getting on to Giroud as the expectation was too high, they expected him to replace RVP which was never possible but I agree with @BigPoppaPump I think it’s a popularity contest here with our fans.

Still my main question wasn’t answered.

What’s the difference between Giroud and Lacazette during their time at Arsenal? (20 mark question) Because the numbers look very similar and I cringe every time I hear someone give Lacazette praise for his hold up play and silky little flicks.

FFS if Jamie Vardy didn’t change his mind about a move to us there would be no talk of Lacazette.

Last edited:

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Benzema isn’t the one being mentioned, he was never in contention. Like I said before, Giroud hardly played for us in the lead up to the tournament yet he still made the squad. It just shows that Lacazette isn’t rated, not that it matters as Deschamps is a clown tbf but don’t divert from my main point.

My initial post was comparing both Giroud and Lacazette, also the criticism Giroud received from our own fans for his average goal scoring numbers yet both players have very similar stats. We paid 12m for Giroud which if you look at his stats was a decent return however I don’t expect those same stats from our 52m marquee signing in Lacazette.

I understand at the beginning why people were getting on to Giroud as the expectation were too high, they expected him to replace RVP which was never possible but I agree with @BigPoppaPump I think it’s a popularity contest here with our fans.

Still my main question wasn’t answered.

What’s the difference between Giroud and Lacazette during their time at Arsenal? (20 mark question) Because the numbers look very similar and I cringe every time I hear someone give Lacazette praise for his hold up play and silky little flicks.

FFS if Jamie Vardy didn’t change his mind about a move to us there would be no talk of Lacazette.

Seriously what is wrong with people. Look at how each player has played for us not at the stats to try and remind you.

When Giroud played for us he was good at certain things, but the amount of easy chances he missed was ridiculous. At the time he was the focal point for us, so of course his stats were inflated but he really wasn't amazing.

Lacazette has been good for us, despite having a poor season he still managed 10 league goals. I think some of the criticism he's had this season has been very unfair.

Simply due to him being 29 with two years left on his deal I would sell Laca. We can't afford to be giving him 200k+ a week on a new deal.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

When Giroud played for us he was good at certain things, but the amount of easy chances he missed was ridiculous. At the time he was the focal point for us, so of course his stats were inflated but he really wasn't amazing.

Lacazette has been good for us, despite having a poor season he still managed 10 league goals. I think some of the criticism he's had this season has been very unfair.

Simply due to him being 29 with two years left on his deal I would sell Laca. We can't afford to be giving him 200k+ a week on a new deal.

This sums it up for me.

:lol: :lol:

The state of this thread which is why I try to stay out of it.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
This sums it up for me.

:lol: :lol:

The state of this thread which is why I try to stay out of it.

You have highlighted me saying Giroud misses easy chances. And then me saying Laca has had a poor season? Laca was our player of the season last year and hardly missed any easy chances. This year hes missed a few and generally been in poor form under Emery especially.

If youre going to just highlight comments and laugh there's no point in you being in this thread anyway. You offer as much as a Nun on heat.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
If Benzema was in the picture Giroud would never be starter for France.

Him getting the nod doesn’t necessarily prove his quality, Giroud has always been afforded chance after chance at the top level without any real merit he’s just privileged. Mustafi has a WC medal and players like Martial and Sane (after winning the league) didn’t even get call ups, I personally don’t give a sh*t about internationals tbh.

Lacazette is a more rounded striker albeit not particularly excelling at anything, other than he had super cool composure when he joined and can create and finish chances on his own. He was my favourite player to watch last season by a long shot.

We are not exactly supplying him with a plethora of chances - unlike Donkey Giroud when he was here.

If Benzema was in the picture Giroud would still get called up and play a sub role, Lacazette however wouldn't even sniff the France squad because he's wack.

You can't say Lacazette is more rounded than Giroud since Giroud is bigger, stronger, has better technique and is better bringing others in. I hated Giroud too when he was here, but watching Lacazette makes me feel like I took him for granted.

I don't get how people can hate Giroud and rate Lacazette though, they're around the same level with Giroud being the better player.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

What’s the difference between Giroud and Lacazette during their time at Arsenal? (20 mark question)Because the numbers look very similar and I cringe every time I hear someone give Lacazette praise for his hold up play and silky little flicks.

I tried to tell you but you wasn’t having it. I took the liberty of comparing Girouds best season statistically (2015-2016) and compared it with Lacazette’s best season for us to date (2018-2019) with the help of various articles and all the stats I could find.

From my findings I can safely say

-Lacazette has the superior strike conversion (almost double that of Giroud’s)
-Lacazette has the superior passing accuracy (marginal)
-Lacazette has the superior dribbling ability (nothing amazing but completes 1 per game compared to Giroud’s 0.1)
-Lacazette’s defensive contributions are actually better

in my opinion which I can’t find stats for, Lacazette also has a much better first touch

Where Giroud actually came on top:
- aerial duels won.
- He also takes way more shots than Lacazette, Laca doesn’t take nearly enough.
- Chances created by Giroud were also marginally higher - but they are virtually identical.

Otherwise not only was he trumped by Lacazette in most departments he also trailed in comparison to many of the strikers at the time in his best season.

I have included illustrations to further drive this home.
qRAWC9e

uSCL7dv

It is important to note the stark drop of in chances created per game in league for Arsenal. Between 2015-2016 and this season it actually halved (this is where Lacazette’s chance conversion kicks in). Also to note that in 2015-2016 Özil actually smashed the record for chances created that season.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/15118/10283243/arsenal-2015-16-premier-league-season-review

Stats of the season

Arsenal scored an average of just 1.6 goals per game at home this season in the Premier League, their lowest return since 1994-95.

Olivier Giroud went 881 minutes without scoring in the Premier League between January and May.

Mesut Özil has created more chances in a single season (146) than any player in any of Europe's top five leagues since Opta started recording data in 1996.
The above is particularly damning.

please let’s not forget that during Giroud’s 5 and a half year stay at Arsenal he essentially went 5 years uncontested as main striker.

I can go on and on and on but tl:dr the difference between Giroud and Lacazette is, Giroud is tall and white (being sarcastic here).

I never want to see this Lacazette Giroud comparison again tbh the latter is a very fortunate bum. Find other ways to call Laca sh*t so I don’t have to explain this again.

Links to sources I used below:
https://eplindex.com/77803/statistical-strategic-approach-understanding-olivier-girouds-game.html

https://www.arsenal.com/news/how-lacazette-has-thrived-under-emery
https://www.fourfourtwo.com/feature...attacking-midfielder-season-201516-mesut-Özil

Last edited:

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

I tried to tell you but you wasn’t having it. I took the liberty of comparing Girouds best season statistically (2015-2016) and compared it with Lacazette’s best season for us to date (2018-2019) with the help of various articles and all the stats I could find.

From my findings I can safely say

-Lacazette has the superior strike conversion (almost double that of Giroud’s)
-Lacazette has the superior passing accuracy (marginal)
-Lacazette has the superior dribbling ability (nothing amazing but completes 1 per game compared to Giroud’s 0.1)
-Lacazette’s defensive contributions are actually better

in my opinion which I can’t find stats for, Lacazette also has a much better first touch

Where Giroud actually came on top:
- aerial duels won.
- He also takes way more shots than Lacazette, Laca doesn’t take nearly enough.
- Chances created by Giroud were also marginally higher - but they are virtually identical.

Otherwise not only was he trumped by Lacazette in most departments he also trailed in comparison to many of the strikers at the time.

I have included illustrations to further drive this home.
qRAWC9e

It is important to note the stark drop of in chances created per game in league for Arsenal. Between 2015-2016 it actually halved (this is where Lacazette’s chance conversion kicks in). Also to note that in 2015-2016 Özil actually smashed the record for chances created that season.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/15118/10283243/arsenal-2015-16-premier-league-season-review

The above is particularly damning.

please let’s not forget that during Giroud’s 5 and a half year stay at Arsenal he essentially went 5 years uncontested as main striker.

Lacazette had Aubameyang to contend with minus Cazorla, Özil, Sanchez, Miki and Ramsey to fashion chances for him where as Giroud had most of the above. Even then, he offers enough to have Auba moved to the left as is all round play is superior.

I can go on and on and on but tl:dr the difference between Giroud and Lacazette is, Giroud is tall and white.

I never want to see this Lacazette Giroud comparison again tbh the latter is a very fortunate bum. Find other ways to call Laca sh*t so I don’t have to explain this again.

Links to sources I used below:
https://eplindex.com/77803/statistical-strategic-approach-understanding-olivier-girouds-game.html

https://www.arsenal.com/news/how-lacazette-has-thrived-under-emery
https://www.fourfourtwo.com/feature...attacking-midfielder-season-201516-mesut-Özil

:lol: I like that you added the sources, I’ll give you that.

Although it’s quite funny that you cherry picked which season you wanted to choose for Lacazette and Giroud. Why not compare their whole period at Arsenal? As I done something similar when I compared Özil with Coutinho and apparently it wasn’t a fair reflection as Özil got 19 assists in one season.

Giroud probably played more games as he was at Arsenal for 5 years but he probably has a better goals to game ratio than Lacazette, I’m assuming?

Also, you mention that Giroud went goalless but before Lacazette scored against Wolves, did you forget his terrible away record?

That’s an absolute disasterclass for a player we spent 52m to be our main striker.

And yes, Auba was pushed wide as he can provide a threat on the left but didn’t Arteta prefer Nketiah over Lacazette? He probably still would have retained his place if it wasn’t for the red card he received.

We spent similar amounts on Lacazette and Aubameyang yet one has proved his more than his worth and the other we overpaid for and has been a serious disappointment.

I still can’t get over that disgraceful performance that Lacazette put in Baku...absolutely anonymous.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Although it’s quite funny that you cherry picked which season you wanted to choose for Lacazette and Giroud. Why not compare their whole period at Arsenal?
Giroud probably played more games as he was at Arsenal for 5 years but he probably has a better goals to game ratio than Lacazette, I’m assuming?
I didn't cherry pick, like I said - Giroud has been here 5 and a half years mostly uncontested. I thought comparing their best seasons would be a better approach and I could be wrong.

This is Lacazette's third full season and hes had to compete with Aubameyang for 2 of them meaning hes been in and out the team.

I haven't forgotten Lacazette's away goal drought at all, the whole teams record away was not good (West Ham with Freddie was our first away win) but I am not going to defend it.

As for goals to game ratio, the pair of them is identical but Lacazette has done it with half the chances (hinting that he is clinical when chances do fall his way). Giroud's international record is where it was super high until the World Cup.

I am not saying Lacazette is perfect but I just completely disagree with Giroud being better. We can agree to disagree but I can respect you backed your points up.

Last edited:

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

:lol: I like that you added the sources, I’ll give you that.

Although it’s quite funny that you cherry picked which season you wanted to choose for Lacazette and Giroud. Why not compare their whole period at Arsenal? As I done something similar when I compared Özil with Coutinho and apparently it wasn’t a fair reflection as Özil got 19 assists in one season.

Also, you mention that Giroud went goalless but before Lacazette scored against Wolves, did you forget his terrible away record?

That’s an absolute disasterclass for a player we spent 52m to be our main striker.

And yes, Auba was pushed wide as he can provide a threat on the left but didn’t Arteta prefer Nketiah over Lacazette? He probably still would have retained his place if it wasn’t for the red card he received.

We spent similar amounts on Lacazette and Aubameyang yet one has proved his more than his worth and the other we overpaid for and has been a serious disappointment.

I still can’t get over that disgraceful performance that Lacazette put in Baku...absolutely anonymous.

No doubt which was better buy, but Auba cost 10 million more according to Transfermarkt.

I think your mention of Baku seems a bit odd as the whole team was bad. I have to resort to WhoScored, where Laca got rating of 6.32 and Auba 5.82.

Laca had 3 shots with 1 on goal and 3 chances created. Auba had 4 shots with 0 on goal and 0 chances created. I'm not sure how you can use this against Laca.

Anyway both have been player of the season once. I think serious disappointment is overstating things and not looking at the whole picture, rather something more like goals scored.

I'll add my calculations here too, from the transfer thread:

Lacazette had 1879 minutes in EPL according to Transfermarkt, and Auba 3139 minutes.

Laca got 10+4 according to Premier League website, Auba got 22+3. Auba had 2 penalties, Laca 0.

So with my calculations Laca had a point per 134 minutes in EPL, which is worse than earlier seasons which were something like point per ~120 minutes if I remember correctly.

Auba had a point per 125,5 minutes in EPL. Without the two penalties he had a point per 136,5 minutes.

So while his season was not good, these stats surprised me. Laca missed 5 big chances and Auba 10. Laca created 4 big chances and Auba 7.

Btw. I would like Macho's post, but that comment about Giroud being a bum is too much for me.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...urope-Europa-League-2018-2019-Chelsea-Arsenal

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

No doubt which was better buy, but Auba cost 10 million more according to Transfermarkt.

I think your mention of Baku seems a bit odd as the whole team was bad. I have to resort to WhoScored, where Laca got rating of 6.32 and Auba 5.82.

Laca had 3 shots with 1 on goal and 3 chances created. Auba had 4 shots with 0 on goal and 0 chances created. I'm not sure how you can use this against Laca.

Anyway both have been player of the season once. I think serious disappointment is overstating things and not looking at the whole picture, rather something more like goals scored.

I'll add my calculations here too, from the transfer thread:

Lacazette had 1879 minutes in EPL according to Transfermarkt, and Auba 3139 minutes.

Laca got 10+4 according to Premier League website, Auba got 22+3. Auba had 2 penalties, Laca 0.

So with my calculations Laca had a point per 134 minutes in EPL, which is worse than earlier seasons which were something like point per ~120 minutes if I remember correctly.

Auba had a point per 125,5 minutes in EPL. Without the two penalties he had a point per 136,5 minutes.

So while his season was not good, these stats surprised me. Laca missed 5 big chances and Auba 10. Laca created 4 big chances and Auba 7.

Btw. I would like Macho's post, but that comment about Giroud being a bum is too much for me.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...urope-Europa-League-2018-2019-Chelsea-Arsenal

Would you like to move on to Aubameyang and Lacazette? Because this is clearly a non starter.

One is a world class striker and the other is very average player, I’m not sure I want to refer to him as my striker as he isn’t.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Would you like to move on to Aubameyang and Lacazette? Because this is clearly a non starter.

One is a world class striker and the other is very average player, I’m not sure I want to refer to him as my striker as he isn’t.

I don't understand at all what you mean here?

I am not here to say Lacazette is better than Auba, as he isn't. But I'm here to say Laca is not very average player.

Anyway, for every season they both have been here, without penalties their points per game ratio has been almost identical if I remember correctly.

So to say he is very average, Auba with similar points ratio (but mostly from the wing, while Laca drops deeper) should be only average or good then? Sounds very silly to me.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

I don't understand at all what you mean here?

I am not here to say Lacazette is better than Auba, as he isn't. But I'm here to say Laca is not very average player.

Anyway, for every season they both have been here, without penalties their points per game ratio has been almost identical if I remember correctly.

So to say he is very average, Auba with similar points ratio (but mostly from the wing, while Laca drops deeper) should be only average or good then? Sounds very silly to me.

Points per game? :lol: who the hell comes up with stats like this?

Top strikers are defined by how many goals they score and Lacazette isn’t doing that well:

skysports-graphic-aubameyang_5060419.png

2018/19 season, Lacazette scored 13 goals which is Giroud-esque levels in the PL whilst Aubameyang got 22 goals.

skysports-golden-boot-graphic_4667113.jpg

Even in his first season at Arsenal when Auba joined in January, he was 4 goals short of Lacazette who had a full season. Auba played half the total minutes of Lacazette:

skysports-arsenal-aubameyang_4378372.jpg

Lacazette should be scoring a lot more if he’s this great striker that you think he is. His numbers look pretty average and it doesn’t surprise me as we spent 52m on striker who should be worth 10-15m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom