• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alexandre Lacazette: Alex Swan Song?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Why did we give away Giroud for Laca....he was always the better player. Quite consistent and offered another approach to our game when things wernt working out.

For Lacazette he is like Willian...invisible and barely contributes to anything. We really messed up by getting rid of Giroud. He would compliment this David Moyes style of play massively with the amount of crosses we are trying to ping in.
I don't like Laca anymore. But when was Giroud consistent? Didn't he have long periods where he didn't score at all?

OSBK

Established Member
Why did we give away Giroud for Laca....he was always the better player. Quite consistent and offered another approach to our game when things wernt working out.

For Lacazette he is like Willian...invisible and barely contributes to anything. We really messed up by getting rid of Giroud. He would compliment this David Moyes style of play massively with the amount of crosses we are trying to ping in.

Really the question is why did we give rvp away for giroud, then to bypass auba for years whilst we wasted sanchez/Özil and santi all in prime for then to shelve them and go and buy 2 forwards that look to be pure mercs.

Classic arsenal mate

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Kind of sad seeing all my old foes in this thread give up on him, miss the days when people tried to convince me he was good.
He's too poor to realistically defend as a good player anymore, but he was never the sole reason our attack is poor.

You leave him to it in the box, he will still score - simple as. Arteta needs to pump the breaks on what he wants his team to be until the summer and use players like Lacazette a bit better.

Or just drop him entirely like he has done, cause the way he has been using him is very hard to watch - he can't do it. Tbf not too many can.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Still baffles me how the club thought spending 50million on him was a good idea. Firstly, bloke was available for years and no big club was ever in for him, I think West Ham was the club most interested in him in 2016.

Secondly, he is an example that passing the eye test should be the key criteria for signing a player. His stats were decent at Lyon (although inflated by pens), but on the eye it was always obvious he would have flopped. A Slow, short, weak center forward that doesnt do much outside of the box isn't a recipe for success.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
He's too poor to realistically defend as a good player anymore, but he was never the sole reason our attack is poor.

You leave him to it in the box, he will still score - simple as. Arteta needs to pump the breaks on what he wants his team to be until the summer and use players like Lacazette a bit better.

Or just drop him entirely like he has done, cause the way he has been using him is very hard to watch - he can't do it. Tbf not too many can.

Funny thing is I don't think anyone thought our attack was poor until Arteta, back then we though the defence was the problem. I guess it's either focus on attack and concede a lot of shots or focus on defending but create nothing with this team.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Still baffles me how the club thought spending 50million on him was a good idea. Firstly, bloke was available for years and no big club was ever in for him, I think West Ham was the club most interested in him in 2016.
He was on the brink of a move to Athletico Madrid and they had a transfer ban and we took advantage. I have no doubt he would have done just fine there, most of their strikers do well they rarely get them wrong.

He never had stand out pace but he was definitely much faster than the version we see today.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He was on the brink of a move to Athletico Madrid and they had a transfer ban and we took advantage. I have no doubt he would have done just fine there, most of their strikers do well they rarely get them wrong.

He never had stand out pace but he was definitely much faster than the version we see today.

Yeah, I mean he suits playing next to another central striker. His best form at Arsenal came when Emery played him next to Auba in that 3412, so I dont think there's any doubt he would have suited Atletico more. As a lone striker though, he just doesn't have the tools you required.

Was he faster, or did he just look faster as he was playing against slower French defenders? People go on about him declining physically, but he is only 29. I'd guess his physical performance metrics this season are not too different to when he first came. From what I've seen, he's never shown any pace/physicality here, he regularly got hooked after 70 minutes by Wenger lets not forget.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Funny thing is I don't think anyone thought our attack was poor until Arteta, back then we though the defence was the problem. I guess it's either focus on attack and concede a lot of shots or focus on defending but create nothing with this team.
My boy Emery managed to focus on defense and still conceded so many shots.

Actually I did. I have many posts that while Auba and Laca are decent goal scorers this Auba on left and Laca up top would be found out eventually. Dont rate Pepe that much either although Im always cheering him of proofing me wrong.

All I see in comments is that we just need to get these players in the box and then they will score a tons of goals. Great finishers. Let them camp in the box. But we have no creativity or dominating midfielders. Even with prime Xavi and Pirlo you cant have all your attackers camping around the box. None of our attackers is good at playing from the edge of the final third. I said before. I think this attack Auba-Laca-Pepe lacks certain balance. Even having two of them on the field at same time can be a big struggle.

BigPoppaPump

Actually I did. I have many posts that while Auba and Laca are decent goal scorers this Auba on left and Laca up top would be found out eventually. Dont rate Pepe that much either although Im always cheering him of proofing me wrong.

All I see in comments is that we just need to get these players in the box and then they will score a tons of goals. Great finishers. Let them camp in the box. But we have no creativity or dominating midfielders. Even with prime Xavi and Pirlo you cant have all your attackers camping around the box. None of our attackers is good at playing from the edge of the final third. I said before. I think this attack Auba-Laca-Pepe lacks certain balance. Even having two of them on the field at same time can be a big struggle.

Yeah I've never really liked Auba on the left, not because I think he's better upfront just that I'd prefer to have a proper winger out there. Give me an Alexis/Hazard/Mane type on the wings over Auba everyday of the week. Pepe has the profile of winger I like but he just isn't at the level of the best which is what you'd hope for the money we spent.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Alexis/Hazard/Mane type on the wings over Auba everyday of the week..
I am almost certain you and Hydro would find a way to sh*t on all of the above if they were here.

Particularly when Hazard would have his dull seasons and in his slightly chunkier state we see in Madrid.

BigPoppaPump

I am almost certain you and Hydro would find a way to sh*t on all of the above if they were here.

Particularly when Hazard would have his dull seasons and in his slightly chunkier state we see in Madrid.

Alexis literally played for us though and I rated him? I didn't like when people put him down when he'd have a strop or lose the ball since he was our best player and I'd defend him.

Just cos you personally love Laca/Pepe you think people who criticise them is because we hate Arsenal players, no it's because they've been poor. If they played well I'd praise them and I have before so what you're saying doesn't make sense. I think you need to stop taking the criticism personally, they're not your friends they don't know you exist.

Actually, I have never rated Hazard. Not my type of player but I defended Alexis even in his final months with us. Loved him! Also if Mane didn't look like he would be a serial killer with his anger issues if he weren't a professional footballer he would be my favorite player and I would defend him even if he played badly.

BigPoppaPump

Mane is like the best player in the league why would I sh*t on him :lol: if he was South American or European he'd be rated as one of the best in the world.

Yeah I've never really liked Auba on the left, not because I think he's better upfront just that I'd prefer to have a proper winger out there. Give me an Alexis/Hazard/Mane type on the wings over Auba everyday of the week. Pepe has the profile of winger I like but he just isn't at the level of the best which is what you'd hope for the money we spent.

I just wish Pepe had a more dominant personality and confidence, it would take him a long way of being a player that could actually receive the ball at the edge of the final third and the opposition team would instantly be on backfoot. Even with his weird dribbling skills.

The idea from his fan here is that he needs to be on the edge of the box for the whole game and wait for service puts him in Walcott category for me. The same idea seems to apply for Laca who seems like he can't run any longer for the rest of his life and Auba who is of course deadliest in front of the goal and all suddenly we have over 200 M worth of attackers that struggle to contribute to the attack and just wants to be at end of it.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Alexis literally played for us though and I rated him? I didn't like when people put him down when he'd have a strop or lose the ball since he was our best player and I'd defend him..
What did you think of Henry when he was here? Did you ever call him the best striker in the world at any point or was there always someone out there better? Same question to Hydro

Did Henry's fading hairline towards the end bother you? @hydrofluoric acid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom