• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alliadere

Adam

Established Member
Cheers. Add that to Dein's recent admission that Arsène is targetting a striker aswell, and it seems Wiltord's departure is certain. Aliadiere will probably battle it out for 4th striker with Kanu, while Bergkamp will be on the bench.

This all depends on the quality of striker we bring in, of course.

JGooner

who do you reckon he meant by "out of contract" players? was he talking about renewing wiltord's contract or poaching someone from another club who is out of contract?

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Aliadiere's rated very highly by the French but I still think he's got a little way to go but he's got a lot of potential. In time I feel he'll be a great player.

Adam

Established Member
JGooner said:
who do you reckon he meant by "out of contract" players? was he talking about renewing wiltord's contract or poaching someone from another club who is out of contract?

He would of said re-signing for the existing players. He has to mean signing new players otherwise it's odd terminology he's used there.

If it is out of contract players; then it would have to be an unknown talent because we haven't been linked with any world class ones i.e. Rivaldo, Davids....

Mark

Established Member
i definetly think ali has potential, i think it would've done him good to go out on loan for a couple of months to another premiership club just so he can get used to regular premiership games. he still needs to develop a bit before he can be henry's long term partner, but it's ok since bergkamp and kanu have been doing well this season.

JazzG

Established Member
Not many players will be out of contract in Jan :?

Maybe he was refering to players whose contracts are gonna run out in June?

JazzG

Established Member
Would love it if he joined us but like you pointed out in your article we will find it hard to get him a work permit, we either need some contacts in the home office or we need to get some english bird to marry him! :lol:

lewdikris

Established Member
Ali is basically an 18 year old in a 20 year old's body - he's not gonna be as powerful as Henry or Anelka, he strikes me as more like Lineker physique wise. And he weren't bad!

I've said it before, Ali's getting ready to really flourish, but he needs a few EPL goals to get the confidence that will really let him do what he wants to in league matches. Only then can we really judge how good he's gonna be.

Jinn

Established Member
Adam said:
Everyone expects Aliadiere to fill out. It would be understandable if they expected Cesc too (he is 16), but at the age 20/21 your growth plates have essentially acheived closure.

He will need more gym work. Some protein drinks, and a good routine will get him there. But would it be at the detriment of his nippy movement - i don't know.

I see him being a better player in a more technical league like Spain. England demands physical strength, and most of the succesfull strikers of the last ten years have had that - even Bergkamp has great strength.

The thing is that Henry will do alot of work for him. The real chance when we can analyse him is when we are playing at home and are predominantly on the front foot. Then we will be able to see what he can bring to a flowing Wengerball game.

What you're saying about growth plates is not necessarily true. In most people, for sure, growth will have stoped by the age of 20. Once that occurs, bulking up usually follows. However, this is not true for all people. Some people can be 22 and still be getting taller.

Aliadiere could well still be growing - and playing such a demanding sport with a young body cannot be healthy for him: Note that hernia he sustained.

Give him time. His body may not be physically ready to play in the physical Premiership, but I doubt it will remain this way forever.

Adam

Established Member
Growth closure is said to be acheived at a younger age with footballers as the increased strain they put their bodies under quickens the process.

What i will say though that muscle growth increases after the bone growth has finished. Also, the chest and shoulders fill out at a later date in growth (usually 17-23 or so) so he may have delayed his growth and be a late developer.

GoonerLuke

I think anyone who thinks Ali is gonna get bigger is kidding themselves. He has been at Arsenal long enough to be on their weight training program. His body has fully developed. If he puts on anymore weight he will lose his first step. What he does need, as many of you are saying, is a run of first team games, and a couple of goals, then he will become lethal.

No worries, Arsène knows, Arsène always knows.

Jinn

Established Member
Adam said:
Growth closure is said to be acheived at a younger age with footballers as the increased strain they put their bodies under quickens the process.

From what I have read, this only occurs when near-maximal exertion is required. For example, lifting weights that are far too heavy, or using improper technique.

But you're right about upper body growth. Especially at Arsenal, where the focus is on the lower body, there is not a lot of upper body gym work usually done.

Adam

Established Member
Yeah, young weight lifters get it, as do footballers put on a weight training scheme at a young age. Toning is fine, bulking however can be at the detriment of bone growth. Severe stunting of growth only occurs when there is damage to the growth plates (the ephydisials in particular) but some argue the strain that young sportsmen are put under also has an affect on growth.

Yes the lower body stuff (the hips, groin etc) are focused on because research shows that players with strong muscle in these areas are less likely to get injured. Nice work Arsène!

The Italians do alot of upper body work, as do some clubs in England. Thierry came with alot of bulk from Italy and Arsène told him to lose it, and he did, and he became alot more flexible and gained a bit of speed but didn't lose any strength. He is a natural athlete with natural strength.

Strength in football remains mostly in the legs; thighs, quads and bum. This is how Sol Campbell can move players with ease - his legs are huge. Thierry and Kolo also have great leg strength. Abdominals also play a part in centre forward play when holding up the ball.

Genetically, Aliadiere is not heavy on muscle in the main areas of his legs (his legs are skinny) and this proves costly. He will be working on his legs mostly so he can stand his ground and not be shoved over easiily by CB's.

Top Bottom