Angers SCO v Arsenal | July 31 | KO: 18:30 BST

Discussion in 'Match Day Archive' started by American_Gooner, Jul 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tourbillion

Tourbillion Angry 24/7

I completely agree. Really dislike Emery's midfield "system".

2. Dutch D

Dutch D Well-Known Member

Would definitely not be happy with a Xhaka - Guendouzi double pivot. Could only see the first half until there was a mysterious partial power outage in my neighbourhood, but Guendouzi looked really poor. Thought we generally looked poor in the first half, unable to reach our attackers in dangerous positions.

3. Preacher

Preacher Anti-Ornstein

What's the latest about Nelson injury ?

4. Red London

Red London Well-Known Member

Let’s hope he works it out this season with Ceballos, it won’t get worse at least :lol:

When we played 3atb it was even worse. It was literally our 2 CMs stranded with no one remotely close to them. They kept getting ran at and looked like headless chickens. It was no surprise all 3 of our mains CMs were trash from December/January onwards.

4atb is more compact. And if Emery hopefully plays Ceballos just in front of the two CMs rather than a 10 or in a free role, we will be better off (that’s his preferred position anyway)

MutableEarth likes this.
  5. Red London

Red London Well-Known Member

Guendouzi has such a nice long pass on him, but apart from that he can be terrible at times. He’s still young but if he continues like this he’s gonna be a one trick pony.

Needs to his hit the gym and start carrying the ball forward. He’s not a DLP imo his future is as a b2b or 8. He has the technical ability and engine to pull off those roles.

Can maybe become a DLP much later in his career.

dka91, Tourbillion and Dutch D like this.
  6. dka91

dka91 Well-Known Member

Yep I agree and like you said the excuses aren't there anymore, we have all of the tools there to create a mobile and pretty dynamic midfield in Torreira, Ceballos and Willock.

I do like Guendouzi though, I don't think he's that bad physically (atleast he's much more mobile compared to Xhaka, but then my deceased Great Grandfather is) and his long passes are wonderful.

I suppose in the more physically demanding matches in which we need to make sure our midfield is not trampled (flashbacks to Leicester, Wolves even Watford away) we need to match the physicality.

Perhaps at home against certain teams we could go with Guendouzi, Torreira and Ceballos three. I don't want Xhaka in the team if it can be helped.

We get caught so badly and so often on the break in Emery's system too, I've never really worked out why this is (I'm clearly a master tactician) but what you've said about the full backs being caught upfield and our midfield not being able to track back makes a lot of sense.

Emery really needs to nail his system because his pseudo-pragmatic but somehow can't defend style of play is f*cking annoying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.