• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: 20 Years and Counting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I see what you're trying to do but no they were terrible seasons, Chelsea walked away with it having only played half a season of decent football and then the one season where all our rivals shat the bed we were beaten to the title by Leicester.

The seasons were **** by any stretch of the imagination no matter how good 2nd of 92 sounds in your mind. No coincidence that the morale of match going fans has taken a nose dive in the past two seasons.
You 'you either win the title or your a failure' supporters don't live in the real world. I respect your ambition, but there are just too many variables in football to guarantee a win for any manager unless the one main variable 'money' is heavily weighted in your favour like they are for PSG, Bayern, Barcelona, Real etc.

In the EPL it's not that clear cut and hence other variables come into play, eg injuries, luck, player form/morale, fixture congestion, squad back up quality, etc

To win this league the cards have to fall right even if you have the most money like Man U, Man C, Liverpool and Chelsea. That's why Sp**s, Leicester, and other lesser money clubs have chance.

However the cards fall for Wenger, high injuries, no money when building the stadium, congested fixtures, players out of form . . . he always finds a way to challenge for the league and is never far away. Over 20 years that's remarkable. He's an exceptional manager by any standards and is why many clubs/England have wanted him.

Can't understand why you can't see that.

say yes

forum master baiter
You don't have to try and defend last season in order to rate Wenger as a manager.

Last season was an unmitigated clusterfuck, probably the worst of Arsène's career. Trying to pretend that it was a season of 'progress' because you want to defend Arsène at all costs actually devalues your defence of him - underlining as it does your total lack of objectivity.

We had humiliating campaigns in all of the cups, got fewer points than the season before in the league, and lost the title to the favourites for relegation. That's not progress.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

You don't have to try and defend last season in order to rate Wenger as a manager.

Last season was an unmitigated clusterfuck, probably the worst of Arsène's career. Trying to pretend that it was a season of 'progress' because you want to defend Arsène at all costs actually devalues your defence of him - underlining as it does your total lack of objectivity.

We had humiliating campaigns in all of the cups, got fewer points than the season before in the league, and lost the title to the favourites for relegation. That's not progress.
Ah . . . progress. Results have to get better . . the nightmare of every sales team. Continual progress is an impossibility in almost every field of human endeavour. No wonder Wenger was a clusterf*** in your eyes.

Many parameters do not necessarily increase, some will exponentially tail off and even others that will likely march onwards like market indices may go backwards for years before leaping up again.

It could be a hundred years before anyone beats Usain Bolt's record, will all these future sprinters be failures?

Progress is a myth in sport. No manager or team have continually improved. All teams throughout history have gone through cycles of ups and downs and Arsenal is no different. How do you improve on never having lost a match all season . . . the invincibles.

Thousands clamoured to see Ali when he was well past his prime. Sport is about so much more than progress.

Goonerozil33

Last season was an unmitigated clusterfuck, probably the worst of Arsène's career. Trying to pretend that it was a season of 'progress' because you want to defend Arsène at all costs actually devalues your defence of him - underlining as it does your total lack of objectivity
I am struggling to see how it was a clusterfuck. I mean last year was not great. I can agree with that. But we got our best league position since 2004-05 season. In 2015-16 we finised 2nd in Leage, R16 of CL and QF of FA Cup. In 2012-13 we finished 4th in League and lost in R16 of CL and R5 of FA Cup.In 2011-12 we finished 3rd in League, lost in R16 of CL and R5 of FA Cup.In 2006-07 we finished 4th in the League, Lost in R16 of CL and R5 of FA Cup. I mean looking at this how is that @Makingtrax lack objectivity and you do? I can understand you being unhappy with us losing title to Leicester. But we did finish ahead of Chelsea, Man U and Man C. So there are good things that happened in the League. Not everything is black or white. We had an average campaign. To call that a clusterfuck is purely lacking objectivity

Datguy

I know this isnt the forum to ask but, im not from the U.K and im going to london on vacation in about 2 weeks time (In time for the middlesbrough game).

Im not an Arsenal.com member, how do i get the best rates for the match ticket ?

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Seriously youv'e all contributed to it going downhill. Leave it or I'll have to delete the last two pages and lock this thing .

RUS arsenal

Established Member
I think Wenger himself said that he is most proud of the trophyless years because he was able to move the club forward by financing a new stadium while keeping the club competitive with the elite and the oil clubs (with the net gain of ~31 mil in the transfer market).

That's incredible and I don't think any other manager out there could achieve that if given the same situation...

...nor would any other high caliber manager undertake such a project nowadays.

Last edited:

Godwin1

Very well-known
You 'you either win the title or your a failure' supporters don't live in the real world. I respect your ambition, but there are just too many variables in football to guarantee a win for any manager unless the one main variable 'money' is heavily weighted in your favour like they are for PSG, Bayern, Barcelona, Real etc.

In the EPL it's not that clear cut and hence other variables come into play, eg injuries, luck, player form/morale, fixture congestion, squad back up quality, etc

To win this league the cards have to fall right even if you have the most money like Man U, Man C, Liverpool and Chelsea. That's why Sp**s, Leicester, and other lesser money clubs have chance.

However the cards fall for Wenger, high injuries, no money when building the stadium, congested fixtures, players out of form . . . he always finds a way to challenge for the league and is never far away. Over 20 years that's remarkable. He's an exceptional manager by any standards and is why many clubs/England have wanted him.

Can't understand why you can't see that.
What is this? Can you actually apply this to the last season where we failed due to critical errors in management? We had the squad, we had the money and we ****ed it up, if you would at least admit we messed up last season would make you seem more reasonable. I mean most guys on here who disagree with each other on Wenger at least share the opinion that last season was no good.

Last edited:

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Didn't think somebody would actually use that second place as some sort of argument pro progress. We lost the title to leicester, we bought no outfield players and we were short in crucial positions when we needed depth the most. There really isn't anymore that needs to be said about last season. Let's just enjoy the Wenger festivities together.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

What is this? Can you actually apply this to the last season where we failed due to critical errors in management? We had the squad, we had the money and we ****ed it up, if you would at least admit we messed up last season would make you seem more reasonable. I mean most guys on here who disagree with each other on Wenger at least share the opinion that last season was no good.
Sorry mate, would like to continue this interesting discussion but had a mods 'off topic' warning :eek:

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

I'm confused - this is the original Arsène Wenger Evaluation Thread, why are we only isolated to his achievements of 20 years, is there another evaluation thread?

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I'm interested to see whether he goes for thirty years. Set an even bigger land Mark. Not that this isn't impressive as is. But
A third decade would be interesting for this whole debate...

Sorry Mods. It's kinda on topic:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom