• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal (4) vs Bolton (1) Player Ratings

Man of the Match

• Arshavin

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Chamakh

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • Fabregas

Votes: 52 75.4%
  • Song

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters

est

I'm loving the fact that Arshavin, Theo, Chamakh and Vela make more runs behind defenders so Fabregas can stay deeper and orchestrate the play again.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
It's great, isn't it? Another benefit is that it takes some pressure off the fullbacks, which makes us less vulnerable down the flanks and easier for whoever plays as a full back to support the attack with overlapping and late runs.

The way the team worked last season when it really worked was that the wide players stretched the defence while the centreforward temporarily took a step down and brought more people into play, thus creating a numerical superiority both in midfield and when the ball was in the final third. Denilson scored against Everton last season that way. Yesterday Song chipped in with a quality goal. A few weeks ago Diaby put away a volley against Blackpool.

est

12 goals in 3 games with a very average chance conversion rate...

It's great indeed.

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
est said:
I'm loving the fact that Arshavin, Theo, Chamakh and Vela make more runs behind defenders so Fabregas can stay deeper and orchestrate the play again.

While I wasn't overly impressed with Arshavin yesterday, it was good to see him make so many runs behind Bolton's back 4. Its definitely an element of our attacking play that I want to see more of. It was lacking a little bit on the right side with Rosicky replacing Walcott though.

I'd like to see Chamakh do more of it. I think he needs to play more as a CF in general, he drifted a bit too much for me liking yesterday. I didn't mind him drifting when Theo is in the side as its a good change up but with anyone else there, I think Chamakh needs to act as the focal point.

qs

Established Member
Biggus said:
Humble Rex said:
Beating Bolton comfortably, and hardly conceding any chances, with a team full of squad players is a demonstration of strength. Very happy with the performance.
The scoreline is a lot more comfortable than it looked for a long time.

The thing you don't get about football Biggus is that only results matter.

Humble Rex

Established Member
lagos said:
Err why so many 6s and 5s, didn't we just beat bolton 4-1 without RVP, the in form Theo, an untested C-B pairing and 2nd choice LB and RB?

what a hostile crowd!

Agree with this.

Burnwinter

Established Member
Ron Burgundy said:
As soon as Theo's physical attributes start to wane, he'll struggle to maintain his level of performance. Cesc, on the other hand, will barely be affected when he loses his pace (the little he has!) and strength. It's all about his brain.
Speaking of the longevity of players with passing vision, Scholes dropped yet another beautiful diagonal ball in Berbatov's path for United's third.

I get a bit wistful imagining (presumably in all futility) Fabregas turning out for us at 35, having played passes like those we just saw against Bolton for Arsenal for more than another decade.

outlaw_member

Established Member
kel varnsen said:
fabregas easily the MOM yesterday. best player in the league. no other player in the league could have hit those passes. the quick turn and through ball to arshavin in the first half was some of the best stuff i've ever seen. a friggin genius and one of the best players to ever wear the arsenal shirt...

Better than Vieira, for my money. It's incomprehensible that his standing as a great will be defined by the trophies he wins with us.

Almunia 6 - Almost cost the team with a pathetic clearance.

Eboue 6 - Offered nothing.

Squillaci 6 - Decent.

Koscielny 6 - Amazing at times, but occasionally poor aswell.

Gibbs 6 - Offered nothing.

Song 6 - Quality goal, but generally all over the shop.

Wilshere 6 - Needs to play higher up the pitch.

Fabregas 7 - Not at his best, but the best player on the pitch.

Rosicky 6 - Anonymous, bar the odd through pass.

Arshavin 5 - Execution was off, but very dangerous.

Chamakh 7 - Should have scored his one-on-one but looked improved.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Klaus Daimler said:
I'm not sure if people noticed by the way, but the goal that Vela scored yesterday was apparently preceded by 24 passes within the team.

Dixon said it was 26 passes. Still short of the 27 passes preceding Adebayor's goal against Blackburn.

outlaw_member

Established Member
sabret00the said:
We looks a different team once Denilson came on. Our passing game came together and looked fluent. For all my love of Wilshere, we just didn't have that fluency when he was on. I think he's clearly better at linking play in the final third rather than in the middle. Some people are saying he's getting that education that Joe Cole missed out on, but what at the detriment of?

Giving Denilson a five is laughable though. I read somewhere that he only ****** up one pass, that in itself gives him at least a six.

Wilshere's passing ability really isn't that great. He can execute good passes, but he doesn't have a consistent range to be a top creative playmaker. His passing is outstanding in relation to an offensive position within the front three, but not as an actual central midfielder. He really needs to play further up the pitch, because he's being wasted at the moment.

Don Pacifico

Established Member
Armor for Sleep said:
I'd like to see Chamakh do more of it. I think he needs to play more as a CF in general, he drifted a bit too much for me liking yesterday. I didn't mind him drifting when Theo is in the side as its a good change up but with anyone else there, I think Chamakh needs to act as the focal point.

Agree with this. I just feel that he's behind the play too often when we're attacking the box. With VP and Theo out, we've lost two of our most mobile attacking outlets and there's bound to be less movement in the final third without them. In his position he needs to be able to support play, which he does (if not particularly incisive) and also provide an option in the box, which is too infrequent for my liking; I just can't imagine him scoring goals like VP's first goal against B'Burn and Brum (both home) and that is a major handicap without Theo on the wings any more. Our RW barely penetrated Bolton at all yesterday and we can't simply rely on Shavva for options in the final third.

Burnwinter said:
No one would accuse you of being easily pleased, Don. :D

Well he's our second-choice striker, so yes, my expectations are high.

ricky1985

Established Member
Almunia - 6. Nothing really to do. Didn't like his kicking, but he was okay otherwise. Still think his lack of command and communication is a factor in situations like Koscielny's mistake yesterday, or the corner Bolton nearly scored from, or Squillaci's headed back pass in the second half.

Eboue - 5. Gave the ball away a lot in the first half, and wasn't really a factor going forward.

Squillaci - 6. Some good moments and was generally solid throughout.

Koscielny - 8. Dealt with Davies brilliantly. Roughed him up, darted in front of him to win the ball countless times, dealt with his backing-in without much trouble, outright beat him the air plenty of times too. Great array of intelligent defending. Shame about the mistake, but his goal evened it out.

Gibbs - 7. Calm as anything with the ball at his feet, and did very little wrong defensively. Countless great runs going forward, but wasn't always picked out. I think he's the best left back at the club by a distance, and it's important that everyone realises that was his first competitive/proper game since November 2009. So he's still got big room for improvement.

Song - 7. Poor first half, but played much better second half. He played a strange role though, almost the most advanced midfielder. He was loving it towards the end when the crowd were cheering every pass we made, some great little flicks and tricks from him then. I guess the formation has given him license to move box-to-box and it's showing what a good footballer he actually is. He's much more capable than the typical holding midfielder that most people want him to be.

Wilshere - 6. Some great passes, but played in 2nd gear for most of the match and seemed happy to play as the deepest midfielder for the most part.

Fabregas - 9. Outrageously good. His passing was exquisite, and he was unlucky not to get the goal his play deserved. If Paul Scholes had played like Cesc did yesterday there would be a double-page spread in one of the National newspapers. We're just used to it now, but he was absolutely sublime. Still half a yard short of his best energy levels, too.

Rosicky - 6. One early pass to Arshavin with the outside of his foot was brilliant, but faded in and out for the rest of the half, and was then pretty anonymous in the second.

Arshavin - 7. Difficult one to mark. He made some great runs and some incredibly poor runs, he also played a couple of good passes, but his finishing was off. Can't help thinking Theo would have destroyed them in Andrei's place yesterday.

Chamakh - 7. Great header for the goal, and some brilliant pieces of proper centre forward play - back to goal, under pressure and still with the ability to pick a pass. The biggest compliment I can give him is I don't think missing Robin for 6 weeks will be too bad for the team.

Subs

Diaby - disgusting tackle on him.

Denilson - 7. Brilliant cameo. Did his thing, only looked quicker and stronger to me.

Vela - 7. Well taken goal, and his movement and pace livened up the game.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
So far so good as far as Chamakh as concerned. What has impressed me most about him is his workrate, and desire to get the job done.

Regarding MOTM, whereas Fabregas was back to his best, the moment that stands out for me is when he pulled that quick two touch move to beat his man and send the ball straight up the middle to the box - wow, I must give it to Song for this one.

Song, wasnt glamourous but he kept our midfield control in check. His box-box style performance was an absolute joy to watch. I was saying during the match that he can grow to be an Essien if not better in the near future.

Hoya

Very late to the party, but here's what I think...

Al- 6- Some poor distribution but he looks more and more confident, the number one shirt is his so I'm liking that.

Gibbs- 6- Liked him better than Clichy at least, offered more in my opinion.

Squid- 6- Was he playing CB yesterday? Won't get away with that against certain teams. Solid enough here though.

Kos- 6.5- Bad mistake, but other than that he was pretty fantastic. Glad to see even after a mistake and a bad game against Blackburn he has all the confidence in the world.

Eboue- 6- Some nice runs here and there, nothing too good or too bad. Should have gotten the penalty.

Song- 6- I like him bursting forward, it's that quality that made me advocate him back in the days of the 4-4-2. But he missed waaaaay too many passes in attack. He gave up possession feebly, but did improve as the game went on. Wondrous, life-changing goal though. Hot damn.

Wilshere- 6- Looks like a player for us, glad he got a game. Some sloppy stuff but he doesn't look out of his depth here.

Fabregas- 9.5- Best player on the pitch. Kept possession beautifully, out of this world pass to Vela, just awesome awesome awesome.

Rosicky- 6.5- Didn't do a whole lot, but he was good when involved. His passing and possession have been so good this year.

Arshavin- 7- Dangerous all game. Needs to read up on the offside rule, still clearly not at his most confident as well but if he keeps putting himself into position he will be fine sooner rather than later.

Chamakh- 8- This guy doesn't know the meaning of the word lazy. I've rarely seen anyone who works this hard as a striker. He's been a revelation. His heading might be the best in the league too, it's certainly up there.

Subsies

Denilson- 9- Okay, so I am rating him for how he played while he was in and not his impact on the game as a whole, but he looked like a BEAST today. Worked really hard, sharp passing (went forward as well), when he came in we raised our game and Bolton didn't know what to do. Wow, he deserves a start soon. Clearly bulked up as well. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm excited about Denilson.

Vela- 7- Calm finish, did well in possession while he was in.

kel varnsen

Established Member
est said:

if arshavin, walcott, chamack, vela etc can keep up making those direct runs behind the back four, cesc will reach 25-30 assists this season.

Latest posts

Top Bottom