• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal FC Vs Sunderland FC | Sun,Oct7th,12pm | Emirates Std

DC Gunner

Established Member
Christofaux said:
Almunia played very well, body on the line. If you think he should of saved the first goal please look again in real time and if you think lehmann, let alone anyone, would of got there your kidding yourself. My money would of been on stokes with that dipping shot if lehmann was in goals.

Walcott had a very good game.
QFT

After being exposed by the defense and having to rush to save a 1-on-1 then run back to the line expecting your defenders to provide either a cover or a clearance , I don't see how anyone would have been able to save it, he may be a bone head most of the time, but quite frankly he was not one when it comes to the first goal.

Anzac

Established Member
an up and down performance - went from the sublime to the rediculous!!!!!
IMO it was too easy for us to break Sunderland down & we were threatening with every attack. The disallowed goal at 2-0 did have an impact on our shape - we got lazy as a whole, but IMO Diaby allowed himself to get frustrated and we didn't play to our pattern. We started to spend more time on the ball and running with the ball, which then played into Sunderland's defensive set up, and IMO Diaby was the main culprit.

As a consequence we forgot to defend and allowed Jones to get 1 on 1 with Clichy - as physical mis-match & they scored twice. After this we still ran at the defence which is not our style, and then when Clichy did overlap with Diaby the crosses were too short and easily cut out. After the substitutions we regained our shape and dominated the latter stages of the game & secured the win.

Two valuable lessons - not to become complacent & kill the game off (we need to match ManU in this ability); and secondly we were able to regain our shape and win a match that last season we would have dropped at least 2 points from.

I don't blame Clichy for either goal as IMO he should not have been left exposed with Jones. Senderos got himself in no man's land going for the header in defence, which then left us short on cover at the back. Diaby started well enough to have 2 goals disallowed, but then let his frustration take him out of the game plan. Likewise while Toure looked impressive with his shot, I also see this as a sign of our having lost our shape & having players sucked into the Sunderland defence.

RVP continues to get better & Ade was himself unlucky not to score a brace.

Credit to Sunderland for hanging in there and taking their opportunities, but in all reality we were our own worst enemy and they should have been blown off the park.

I look at this game as a bit of a 'great escape' for us - hopefully LeBoss will drive home the lessons, and the opposition will continue to underestimate us for a bit longer.

Thommybhoy

Established Member
I couldn't watch the second half because my stream went offline.
I must say that our central defence and GK are really a worry, actually for a while this season. As far as I saw thier (Sunderlands) idea was to make Gael jump with their tall players. Our central defence and GK allow goal to happen from very strange situations. They simply don't make me feel comfortable as I think they should while watching us defend. I'm glad to see that Willy will be back and I hope he can change that. As for midfield and attack, apart from the fact that we need more deepth there, I have no worries.

stiiphunn

Established Member
Anzac said:
an up and down performance - went from the sublime to the rediculous!!!!!
IMO it was too easy for us to break Sunderland down & we were threatening with every attack. The disallowed goal at 2-0 did have an impact on our shape - we got lazy as a whole, but IMO Diaby allowed himself to get frustrated and we didn't play to our pattern. We started to spend more time on the ball and running with the ball, which then played into Sunderland's defensive set up, and IMO Diaby was the main culprit.

As a consequence we forgot to defend and allowed Jones to get 1 on 1 with Clichy - as physical mis-match & they scored twice. After this we still ran at the defence which is not our style, and then when Clichy did overlap with Diaby the crosses were too short and easily cut out. After the substitutions we regained our shape and dominated the latter stages of the game & secured the win.

Two valuable lessons - not to become complacent & kill the game off (we need to match ManU in this ability); and secondly we were able to regain our shape and win a match that last season we would have dropped at least 2 points from.

I don't blame Clichy for either goal as IMO he should not have been left exposed with Jones. Senderos got himself in no man's land going for the header in defence, which then left us short on cover at the back. Diaby started well enough to have 2 goals disallowed, but then let his frustration take him out of the game plan. Likewise while Touré looked impressive with his shot, I also see this as a sign of our having lost our shape & having players sucked into the Sunderland defence.

RVP continues to get better & Ade was himself unlucky not to score a brace.

Credit to Sunderland for hanging in there and taking their opportunities, but in all reality we were our own worst enemy and they should have been blown off the park.

I look at this game as a bit of a 'great escape' for us - hopefully LeBoss will drive home the lessons, and the opposition will continue to underestimate us for a bit longer.

I don't blame him for the second goal because he shouldn't have been left alone- someone should have been there and there was nothing he could do in the air.

For the first I blame him a little because he should have intercepted the pass before it got to Jones. That was bad positioning from him IMO and he could have done a little better.

I'd like to mention RVP as well. I think he's imroved tremendously in his game. He can score goals, that's not new, but he can give some great passes as well- ie the first one to Ade in the first minute of the game.
His link up play is a lot better than it used to be and that's great for team and for him as well. That way when he's having an off day individually, he can still be useful to the team through his passes.
Hopefully he can stay fit and if he does it'll be interesting to see what he can do this season.

number_0

Established Member
i forgot to give credits to sunderland for coming out and giving us a game....
And i was impressed by stokes really, he is gonna be big, mark my words

marco

RockyRocastle said:
>YounGunner< said:
Was he head of the Arsenal firm?

Rocky could you clarify?

Yeah. The guy was a 'football hooligan' so was obviously no angel, but this was the 80s where when you went to Liverpool/Manchester/Boro it came on top all the time and everyone with a cockney accent was a target.

If you were Arsenal Denton was your mate and would ALWAYS put himself on the line to protect you no matter the odds and that is why he was so loved and respected.

It was a sight to behold watching the ClockEnd part as he walked through.

if you look at anfield 89 he is on the pitch after the winner...
by all accounts a top man

MDGoonah41

Established Member
Biggus said:
1st goal wasn't his fault, he could have done better with the 2nd....so could Kolo.

The 2nd goal was a free header from 6 yards out. Not sure what he could have done, considering how close the player was to him. I guess maybe he could have rushed out to intercept the cross, but there were 2 defenders marking one guy, and neither defender got near the ball.

tam1886

Established Member
Quite a few people could have done better but there are some times where conceding a goal is inevitable.

Clichy should have cut out that long ball before it got to Jones, but after he didnt, I thought Jones would score. Almunia made a great save, and unluckily it went straight out to Wallace who done well to pick a spot neither the Almunia or Senderos had covered. Clichy and Toure should have done better, I didnt think there was much blame to be laid at Almunia's door.

For the second though, I dont think there was much the Almunia could have done again. A free header, directed right down into the corner from six yards out will go in 9 times out of 10. There wasnt much he could have done to stop that. He almost got to it from what I remember, but I dont blame him for it either. The defence were all over the place for that one.

the dawn raids

Established Member
KingReyes said:
Cesc was average IMO, can't remember the last time I've seen misplace so many passes.

it was a sloppy game in general; everyone was misplacing passes. but i really do hope he isnt picked for Spain; he needs all the rest he can get before the end of the month.

Endris

Tam, wallace picked the spot where almunia was supposed to be. I don't know what he was doing in the middle of the goal almost on the side that was covered by senderos, storming back like a headless chicken. And he should have come out for the second goal. He is as much to blame as the defense.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
Where's the Bolton thread?

Anyway Anelka pulled out of the French squad because of an injury he picked up on the Faroe Islands.

Hope he's not capable of playing v us, because he tends to do well.

tam1886

Established Member
clockwork orange said:
Where's the Bolton thread?

Anyway Anelka pulled out of the French squad because of an injury he picked up on the Faroe Islands.

Hope he's not capable of playing v us, because he tends to do well.
I wasnt expecting Nadz/RC8 to do one until after the midweek game.

Agreed on the Anelka point. If hes out, its a real bonus for us, and the chances of them getting something from the game would be severly reduced I think.

Latest posts

Top Bottom