• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal FC Vs Wigan Ath FC | Sat,Nov24th,3pm | Emirates Std

Nutsy

Established Member
Early or not, with International football on the break in between, one can't help to wonder what will happen in the next premiership game and our next one is against a struggling side..

arsenalwiganfy9.png

Before getting on to the details of our opposition..

A brief report on the last match - Reading F.C. VS Arsenal F.C.

Returning back on top of Barclays Premier League table, surpassing rivals Manchester United after a convincing 3-1 win against Reading at the Madejski Stadium.

With the home side hoping to frustrate Arsenal by defending deep in the first half, just enough until Mathieu Flamini broke the dreadlock with Alex Hleb and Emmanuel Adebayor set up in the 44th minute, just before the half time whistle blown.

Six minutes after the second half commenced, Emmanuel Adebayor added a superb finish inevitably a notable strike considering it was the club's 1000th Premiership goal.

Alex Hleb rounded Marcus Hahnemann 12 minutes from time to make it 3-0 and goal number 1001 for the Gunners in the Premier League, before Nicky Shorey strike home close-range after a goal-mouth scramble, a consolation goal for Reading.

Arsenal still unbeaten locked horns with rivals Manchester United for the top spot with a game in hand, looking forward the next match after the 2 weeks of international break.

Wigan Athletic Vital Statistics

wiganstatscopycl8.png

A few facts on Wigan Athletic F.C.

Courtesy of Arsenal.com / English Premier League Official Site

Wigan Athletic won promotion to England's top flight for the first time ever in 2005 and have stayed in the Premier League for the last two seasons. Remaining in the top half of the table for almost the entire 2005/06 campaign, the Latics also reached the League Cup final for the first time in its history.

They surprised teams with their dynamism in attack and ability to continue carving out chances. Wigan's rise has been swift. Playing in the old Third Division when local millionaire Dave Whelan purchased the club in 1995, his Premier League ambitions were realised in just 10 years.

Wigan found last season more taxing and were pulled into a relegation dogfight. However, they survived on the final day of the campaign after a 2-1 win against relegation rivals Sheffield United. Manager Paul Jewell chose to step down after survival had been guaranteed and was replaced by his assistant Chris Hutchings.

Chris Hutchings was then sacked after a disappointing start of the season and Wigan Chairman Dave Whelan strive to find a replacement in time before the clash against the Gunners on the 24th November 2007.

* Wigan were the last team to play Arsenal at Highbury. An entertaining encounter ended in a 4-2 win to the Gunners.

* Arsenal have a 100 per cent record against Wigan in the Premiership.

* Wigan reached their first major Final, the 2006 Carling Cup Final, by knocking out Arsenal in the Semi-Finals. The Latics edged the two-legged affair on away goals after extra time.

Wigan Premier League history

2004-05 - Promoted to Barclays Premiership
2006-07 - Emile Heskey signed from Birmingham for a club record £5.5million
2006-07 - Paul Jewell resigns as manager and is replaced by his assistant Chris Hutchings
2007-08 - Chris Hutchings sacked as manager

Last Five Meetings

PL, 11-02-07 Arsenal 2-1 Wigan Ath.

PL, 13-12-06 Wigan Ath. 0-1 Arsenal

PL, 07-05-06 Arsenal 4-2 Wigan Ath.

LC, 24-01-06 Arsenal 2-1 Wigan Ath.

LC, 10-01-06 Wigan Ath. 1-0 Arsenal

Current premiership standings

premtablenp0.png

Still on top of that table, still Mancs breathing down our necks, we have so far in this season prove all the doubters wrong after the big summer we had losing a certain number 14 former captain.

They know it very well, their fans, their red nosed manager, their players that we are the ones who can seriously give them a beating of their title hopes this season. Sure its still early, we're still going through our wintry patches that could cost us a few points but after that Reading game, to get back in gear in the second half, in that bloody freezing weather and what not, but no, I'm more than convinced that this season is ours. Mancs can rot in hell for all I care.

wigangame2wb8.png

Wigan just been thumped by the Scums 4-0. Shows how terrible in form they have been to be thumped by Scums at 4-0 to be honest. Although to be fair, they didn't have a manager then.

Emile Heskey is supposed to be back and he could fare us some problems. but then again, I wouldn't count on it too much ;)

I'm more concerned on who will be on our possible line-up, with Fabregas suspended, one can expect Denilson to start or Gilberto or even Diarra, Diaby etc. We need creativity present in that CM partnership. To show whether or not we can cope without Fabregas present. people say we depend too much on Fabregas, we have to see if that is the case even if it is against Wigan.

Robin should be back for this game, but I doubt he would start straight away. I would expect in the first half, Arsène to field a 4-4-1-1 again with Hleb in hole again. RvP to come in the second half.

A game we should win, at all costs. Points are vital and the theory of our squad depth will be put in test here.

COME ON YOU GUNNERS!!!

Druid

Eduardo and Ade starting in a 4-4-2 would be interesting, however I can't see it since the former would still need time to adjust to the physical demands of the English game.

number_0

Established Member
it will be wicked if eduardo scored to knock england out, then start against wigan.
personally van persie should start if he is fit, he wont regain form by sitting on the bench.

Gooner T

Van Persie back for this one please. I dont give a **** if he isnt "match fit", as long as he is physically 100% then hes gotta be in. Its only Wigan at home (i know im tempting fate). He can have the ****test game of his career and I wouldnt care. It would just be another step to him getting back to the form he was starting to show before those ****ing internationals.

tam1886

Established Member
Gooner T said:
Van Persie back for this one please. I dont give a f**k if he isnt "match fit", as long as he is physically 100% then hes gotta be in. Its only Wigan at home (i know im tempting fate). He can have the ****test game of his career and I wouldnt care. It would just be another step to him getting back to the form he was starting to show before those f****g internationals.
I don't know how fit he'd be, but I think he has to half at least half an hour at least if he is fit enough. We're going to need him in December and the quicker we can get him back in the better, however I don't want any risks taken. We shouldn't need to.

I'm holding out my predictions etc until after the internationals.

International Week.........that must mean I need to dust down my international avatar for a while!

COME ON SCOTLAND

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member
Weve always beaten wigan but they always seem to give us early worries...Lets go out there and put on a convincing performance

Were still the premierships top scorers but thats nnot very important...Just a reminder of how good were playing

6 points from these two games are a must, we got the 3 from reading now lets the other 3 from wigan before we prepare for the toughest challenge of the season

DECEMBER!!

I dont know how flamini and denilson work togther so ill play denilson and gilberto...Give flamini a rest too
4-4-2 with RVP up front...
If hes fit hes got to play, nothing to it

Have a nice break and come back fresh 'cos its us against the world
COYR!!!!!!!!

Arnie

OMG NO CESC!!!!

haha, will be good to see Robin back. There is huge speculation Steve Bruce is going to wigan btw. By the time we play them they might be revived by a new manager!

M+D

Established Member
Arnie said:
OMG NO CESC!!!!

haha, will be good to see Robin back. There is huge speculation Steve Bruce is going to wigan btw. By the time we play them they might be revived by a new manager!

Brum rejected Wigan's approach I think. But I think revived or not, we'll crush them at home, as long as we get a goal nice and early Wigan could get hammered.

I'd rest a few players for this game as well, before the Sevilla game in midweek:

------------------------ Almunia ---------------------

Sagna ----- Toure ----------- Gallas ---- Clichy

Walcott --- Gilberto ---- Denilson ---- Hleb

-------------- Bendtner ---- Eduardo -----------

lagos

Established Member
That's the sort of complacency that leads to dropped points against small teams. Wigan is a more important game than Seville. Start with the strongest team, then rest players once the job is done. In fact this is the sort of game you want to use to boost your goal difference

On a side note, Must say Nadz, you do good work!

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Agree Lagos, I think Wenger is far more likely to rest players during the Sevilla game as qualification is already secured. He may even have intimated as much.

Wigan may be ****, but we shouldn't forget how hard it was against them last year.

tam1886

Established Member
RocktheCasbah said:
Agree Lagos, I think Wenger is far more likely to rest players during the Sevilla game as qualification is already secured. He may even have intimated as much.

Wigan may be s**t, but we shouldn't forget how hard it was against them last year.
I think he should take the opportunity in both games to rest a player or two. It could be the difference in winning some of those other games and losing them. I think he will play mainly fringe players against Sevilla, with maybe one or two first teamers. However if we can't beat Wigan without resting one or two players then we don't deserve to win the league, if that is what really makes the difference. I'm not talking wholesale changes to the squad, but maybe the likes of Gilberto in for Flamini, or even Hoyte in for Sagna. Just examples though. Don't shoot me down.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I don't think Gilberto will start as he'll still need time to recover from the travel (if the Brazil games are not hold in Europe). Rosicky may not start either as he may be suspectible to injury shortly after internatioanl duty.

tam1886

Established Member
tactica442 said:
I don't think Gilberto will start as he'll still need time to recover from the travel (if the Brazil games are not hold in Europe). Rosicky may not start either as he may be suspectible to injury shortly after internatioanl duty.
I forgot he was likely to be doing a Michael Palin.

Just examples though as I said. We should be able to swap one or two players about in these types of games though. I agree with the whole take every team on it's own merits and all that, but Wigan are no better than Reading this season, and we dealt with them comfortably in the end. They are one of the worst teams in the Premiership this season, and they are in a bit of a crisis. We could put the Carling Cup team out and still demolish them without breaking a sweat. Relegation fodder. If we can't play some squad players against them and win, then we aren't as good as we think. Whether Wenger rests remains to be seen. I think the opportunity is there though to keep the players fresh for much tougher games.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
this has gotta be a thrashing game. wigan is as bad as they could be now.

a team that makes Sp**s look like real madrid is horrendous

andyswafc

lagosgooner said:
That's the sort of complacency that leads to dropped points against small teams. Wigan is a more important game than Seville. Start with the strongest team, then rest players once the job is done. In fact this is the sort of game you want to use to boost your goal difference

On a side note, Must say Nadz, you do good work!

I agree with both parts.

AW will rest players against Seville, lets cement the 3 points in the League

banduan

Established Member
I'm thinking it's Diaby in pace of Cesc. He was on the fringes before and is likely going to be in the starting 11 before being subbed on the hour mark.

Top Bottom