• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Finances

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33163281

Nigerian billionaire Aliko Dangote wants to buy Arsenal

Africa's richest businessman says he is planning a bid to buy Arsenal.

Nigerian billionaire Aliko Dangote believes the building of an oil refinery in his homeland will give him the finance to secure a takeover.

The 58-year-old, who has an estimated wealth of £11.5bn, says he has supported the Gunners since the 1980s.

"When we get this refinery on track, I will have enough time and enough resources to pay what they are asking for," he told BBC Hausa.

American Stan Kroenke is Arsenal's majority shareholder, owning 66.64% of the club's parent company Arsenal Holdings plc.

Russian-Uzbek Alisher Usmanov owns 29.11% with the remainder of the 62,217 shares held by minority shareholders including former players and the Arsenal Supporters' Trust, who own three.

Dangote is ranked 67th on the Forbes rich list.

He had previously been interested in purchasing the 15.9% stake sold to Kroenke for £123m by Lady Nina Bracewell-Smith in April 2011 only to pull out.

"There were a couple of us who were rushing to buy, and we thought with the prices then, the people who were interested in selling were trying to go for a kill," Dangote added.

"We backtracked, because we were very busy doing other things, especially our industrialisation."

Dangote believes Arsenal require a different ownership in order to be more successful on the pitch.

He added: "They are doing well, but they need another strategic direction. They need more direction than the current situation, where they just develop players and sell them."

I think it's a bit worrying he doesn't even know we have changed how we operate and no longer are s he describes in the bold above...

ScotVieira

Established Member
Looks like Dangote just wanted some media attention.

How can you want to buy a club without even understanding their current operational model?

Marmaduke

It's media attention for sure. But also chances are he isn't as informed as AM posters on the state of affairs at the club. He sounds like he is just parroting pundits criticisms of Arsenal for the past couple of years.

In any case you need willing sellers and there is no indication of anyone wanting to sell.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

It's media attention for sure. But also chances are he isn't as informed as AM posters on the state of affairs at the club. He sounds like he is just parroting pundits criticisms of Arsenal for the past couple of years.

In any case you need willing sellers and there is no indication of anyone wanting to sell.

That's what boils my blood Marmaduke - just parroting old criticisms that aren't relevant anymore and the sheep swallow it hook, line and sinker.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
And the thing to note about the above is that they're FY15 figures. We had a net spend of around 50-60m last year and still managed to record a 20m profit. That gives us a transfer budget of around 70-80m per year. The bulk of this has remained unspent in the current year. If we remain similarly parsimonious next year, the manager after Wenger will have some serious dosh to spend.

Bigbludfire

Established Member
Most fans would be proud if they had that sort of self sustaining money lying around. To me, that's just depressing.

ScotVieira

Established Member
And the thing to note about the above is that they're FY15 figures. We had a net spend of around 50-60m last year and still managed to record a 20m profit. That gives us a transfer budget of around 70-80m per year. The bulk of this has remained unspent in the current year. If we remain similarly parsimonious next year, the manager after Wenger will have some serious dosh to spend.
What is this based on?

JENSON_GUNNER

When is the AST meeting ? Some serious questions to be shot at Mr. Gazidis. The team does require serious investment in certain positions. I'm surprised the management has failed to address that.

"We continue to look to develop every aspect of our operations while remaining true to our principles around being self-funding, investing in youth, our style of play and our commitment to our fans and to our place in the community," added Gazidis.

Sounds wonderful but it's just more spin. And I am not even from the WOB camp.

The_Roadrunner

Burned Out

Its quite clear we have money to spend. Not in the United/Real level of money but yes 50-70M net depending on the year is perfectly sustainable and affordable for us.

Not refreshing the squad might cost us. Maybe January some wild option will become available. At least Wenger is good at those wild options sometimes.

jms

What is starting to worry me about this situation is the distinct possibility that Kroenke and or Usmanov are stacking the cash as security to use to borrow off of in order to make a takeover bid ala the Glazers at Man U.

Even if this isn’t/wasn’t intended the more time that goes on and the possibility of it increases due to the cash reserves bloating, while also meaning the cost in doing it decreases, the more tempting it will be from them to do so.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
What is this based on?
I haven't actually calculated our net spend last year but it'll come to around 60m I think. I've simply added the profit made to this figure to arrive at 80m. The profit's the amount our cash reserves swelled by

This is what self sustaining business models should do in theory. Save money when the bubble is expanding. Then spend money when it burst and crisis takes over.

But with all jokes aside, I hope there is something bigger purpose to all of this!

ScotVieira

Established Member
I haven't actually calculated our net spend last year but it'll come to around 60m I think. I've simply added the profit made to this figure to arrive at 80m. The profit's the amount our cash reserves swelled by
So what factors influence your determination of what the budget should be? And are those the same factors which the club uses in determining annual budgets?

samshere

Why so serieuse?
So what factors influence your determination of what the budget should be? And are those the same factors which the club uses in determining annual budgets?
Don't know where you're going with this cross questioning..If you want to make a point, make it..

ScotVieira

Established Member
Don't know where you're going with this cross questioning..If you want to make a point, make it..
If it is too difficult to understand, how about letting you know that you do not decide what the transfer budget is and I doubt if you know what gets factored in when deciding upon the budget.

Goon_si

Haha what the hell? @ScotVieira

@samshere simply made a prediction on how much we have to spend on players, based on last years number and our profit. We had aproximately 60M net spent last year, and still made a nice 20M profit. This means that if we had a net spent of 80M last year, we'd still break even.

He made a damn prediction!! He's not trying to be a smart ass or anything, it's 1st grade logic!

Wow... Internet a gift that keeps on giving.

Top Bottom