• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Here, Arsenal There - Stockholm

Valleyman

Fredrik Ljungberg. Henrik Larsson. Patrik Andersson. They are all just a handful of players who have seeked playing in Europe, all with success. This is the number one reason as to why the Swedish Premier League Allsvenskan hasn't developed at the rate of which stars are produced. Following Kim Källström's departure to the French side Stade Rennes, Djurgården's official website stated that they wished Källström the best, and hoped he would play to the best of his capabilities, amongst other things.

Swedish sides have now settled into the role of "farmer teams" to bigger, established European teams, and have been successful at that. But the league won't be able to develop with its current mentality, thus creating the cement block they find themselves in, and are unlikely to escape. Källström's former team Djurgården haven't even been economically satisfied, as the majority of the transfer fee goes to his former club BK Häcken. So why on earth did they let their best player go, who had brought so much success, goals and marvellous displays during his time at Djurgården?

Of course, with all of these young players leaving, it means the fan base of the Premiership and other European leagues continues to rise, and creating an urge for their players to move abroad. Fredrik Ljungberg has played an influential role in becoming one of Arsenal and Sweden's trademarks, of course boosted by his CalvinKlien ads which can be seen from pretty much any window in London.

The following of the Premiership is an easier task than those who find themselves stuck in the land of soccer: the USA. Swedish newspapers provide regular updates on news, results and transfer gossip, especially in the tabloids, although the broadsheets have their fare share as well. The cable channel Canal+ shows an average of 3-5 Premier League games a week, Viasat Sport has the rights for the Champions League and Carling Cup, and TV4 with the FA Cup, means that I very rarely miss an important game. Soccernet and Arsenal.com's auto commentary makes up for any match I would happen to have missed.

I learned to love the Gunners when I, at the age of 8, moved to London where I became a die-hard fan, no by the most orthodox way. I was given a new computer by my parents, and with the new machine came the game Ultimate Soccer Manager 98/99. Having lived in America the past years of my life, I didn't know anything about "soccer," and spent most of my time watching Baseball games, although I was a dedicated soccer player. Anyway, the first team on the list on USM was Arsenal. I gave it a go, and memorized the players, of which included Dennis Bergkamp, Nicolas Anelka and the joker Christopher Wreh. I instantly became an avid fan, and have been unable to be drawn away from the amazing Gunners and their fans.

Although I have the matches and reports in front of me, discussing it is more of a problem, as many of my teenage peers suffer from the famous "I-support-a-team-but-don't-know-a-player" syndrome. I seek refuge at the excellent Arsenal-Mania, where many a foreigner and Englishman come to experience the atmosphere they so terribly miss. Although there is the odd person who is a football fan, getting on the level terms of enthusiasm like the English have is quite rare, something I've missed the past couple of years.

Although the feeling of which will never go away.

Jinn

Established Member
USM is a wicked game. I've still got it and play it from time to time, heh. :)

Great article - sums up the Swedish point of view well.

Arsenal Quotes

Play for the name on the front of the shirt and they’ll remember the name on the back.

Tony Adams

Latest posts

Top Bottom