• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal players on twitter

Glovegun

Established Member
famous no 10 said:
I've never really liked the whole "yid" thing, but the sp*rs have themselves to blame for that one...if they didn't adopt the name as a badge of honour then there would be no mixed message as to it's meaning, and the term {used as abuse by other fans}would never have been so widespread.

As far as I understand {and remember} other London football fans would use the term in a derogatory manner when referring to sp*rs...to diffuse this they adopted it as their own.It hasn't worked and is a complete sick joke of a nickname...I know a couple of sp*rs fans {yes, hard to believe but true!} one is jewish, the other not, bot both are embarrassed by it's use.

Actually, even sp*rs fans would admit, us Gooners probably understand the complexity of the "yid" issue better than most other football fans...we're from practically the same area for one thing, but I think you'll find that many jewish people find seeing the star of David flag with "yids" written on it, waved by the sp*rs fans, as sending out a message of encouragement to carry on using the term. I do understand the tribal identity of a football community, with it's quirks that are unique to the mainly match going locals, {for instance, not many on here, and even less other fans, would know the significance of "SHE WORE! or "EIE!"} but of course this is broadcast through the media through chanting and banners, etc.

As a club, perhaps they should have banned their own fans from using the term.

Adopting the word themselves and using it as a badge of respect was a reaction, not the cause. You say that Sp**s fans have no-one to blame but themselves, but all the anti-Semitic abuse will offend Jewish Gooners far more than it will offend non-Jewish Sp**s fans, and it's almost implying that I should shut up and accept it (I'm Jewish) because some sweaty knuckle-dragging ***** from up the Seven Sisters chooses to wear a shirt with 'Yiddo Dave' on the back. In order to target someone you don't like all that ends up happening is offending a neutral third party, as it were.

I don't like the use of the word Yid at all, but I do recognise that most football fans are intelligent enough to divorce that from it's connotations and use it purely to refer to a Sp**s fan. It's when they make the jump to other things, and start with the whole big nose/ tight arse/ bagel eating stuff that it gets more problematic, because they are directly seeing Tottenham as Jewish, which isn't right.

I've long said this, but with all the advances we've made regarding racism towards black people in the game, it still seems to be acceptable to be racist towards Jews and Asians at football. I wish Tottenham would do more to stamp it out, but I lay the blame more with the far-right scumbags at clubs like Chelsea who like to sing about Hitler. They are the real problem in all this.

Apologies for the rant.

evoh_1

Established Member
If you have been to the games and heard the chanting that use the word Yiddo its a bit rough but I doubt that most people using it mean anything inherently anti-semtic by it. Example "We hate tottenham, we hate tottenham, we are the tottenham haters, Yiddos, Yiddos" I never do the last bit as I find it uncomfortable but if Sp**s fans refered to themselves as anything else I reckon it would be in there instead.

That is not in any way to say it is right its just there is alot of stupidity and unfortunately that allows this sort of veiled acceptable racism to exist, which is what it is. And I don't think there aren't plenty of anti-semitic arsenal fans in there too and anti jewish sentiment is the last bastion of acceptable racism in football, e.g having a group of black and white pissed lads sing "I've got a foreskin haven't you?".

You wouldn't get away with singing "We don't eat bananas who bout you?" so why is it still seen as ok to target Judaism?

As said arsenal have been the most progressive club in terms of black supporters for over 30 years but the clouded anti-semitism makes me feel uncomfortable. Even if my jewish friends say they have no problem with it as long as its just football not in the street or outside synagogue it does need to be looked at.

Glovegun

Established Member
Nah, most people don't mean anything by it. The guys I go to games with will still sing the songs but leave out the 'Yiddo' bit at the end, which I've noticed has started to happen in a few of our boozers as well.

Interestingly you rarely see black guys doing the Yid stuff. I did once see a black kid of about 19 hissing outside the Twelve Pins, which hurt quite a lot, but then again he might be too young to remember what it used to be like - I doubt you'd get his parents doing it for example.

But I agree, the problems start when people take the Yid thing out of the North London football rivalry context and plonk it into genuinely racist stuff.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Speak to god on Twitter.

<a class="postlink" href="https://twitter.com/DBergkamp1969" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://twitter.com/DBergkamp1969</a>

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Jesus, you'd have thought his Ajax work colleague would have known it was fake, rather than validate its authenticity to Piers Morgan. Van der Sar you ****. :lol:

Arsenal Quotes

When you grow up with a club and you end up playing for them and winning things, you are from that club. I was born here. I was formulated here.

Liam Brady

Latest posts

Top Bottom