• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

arsenal v az alkmaar - player ratings

True Gooner

Established Member
I thought Song pushed up more than he should but I guess that's just the way we play. Decent performance but outshone by both Diaby and Fabregas.

progman07

Established Member
I love how Song dribbles around and always keeps the ball. Thought he did quite well today, won back balls, collected the loose balls, though misplaced some passes.

kamikaze80

Established Member
qs said:
For Gibbs do you mean Ramsey? Gibbs was nowhere to be seen IIRC, which is probably even worse considering our full backs are always the ones to cover the defensive duties when we have a set piece.
that was ramsey? even sloppier than i thought, then. you're right, where the hell was gibbs, then?

i know it's dumb to complain about a consolation goal after we annihilate someone, but it's all about getting into good habits. no one should have to tell gibbs to stay back in that situation, he should just know. although someone should've said something.

otfgoon

Established Member
Gibbs went up to win the ball in the air and didn't get back up when he fell to the ground.

qs

Established Member
Other goals when we've won well haven't bothered me much but that one really annoyed me tonight. It took the sheen off a good win. I doubt we'd have been caught like that at 1 or 2 goals ahead because we'd have been more cautious but its still really bothering me. I think its because I finally realised Al isn't going to be great this season. I thought today maybe the whole being dropped thing will really sort him out, he has the skills to be a top keeper but theres just something lacking in him mentally. All his costly errors this season have been all about bad decision making.

I finally think we are in desperate need of a keeper. It was fine when I thought all we were going to do was compete for 3rd or 4th but we look a team now. We need a keeper worthy of being in this side.

lagos

Established Member
xcdude24 said:
lagos said:
Cesc etc will get all the plaudits in games like this but Song and Vermaelen are just f****g awesome right now!

Thought Song wasn't as good as he usually was. His positioning was as good as it always was, but his passing was a little off today.

Well Song and Vermealen are my players of the season so far, not that I don't appreciate Cesc, RVP etc but I never expected Vermaelen to be this good and consistent and the step up and consistency from Song is just mind-blowing. The others I already knew they were good so it's not that impressive!

All I need is for Theo/Denilson to pull out a shocker of a season (in a good way) and I'll have to rewrite the laws of the universe!

raidersoftheark

Established Member
qs said:
Other goals when we've won well haven't bothered me much but that one really annoyed me tonight. It took the sheen off a good win. I doubt we'd have been caught like that at 1 or 2 goals ahead because we'd have been more cautious but its still really bothering me. I think its because I finally realised Al isn't going to be great this season. I thought today maybe the whole being dropped thing will really sort him out, he has the skills to be a top keeper but theres just something lacking in him mentally. All his costly errors this season have been all about bad decision making.

I finally think we are in desperate need of a keeper. It was fine when I thought all we were going to do was compete for 3rd or 4th but we look a team now. We need a keeper worthy of being in this side.

Co-signed. Manny will cost us more goals than he'll save our bacon. Would love it for Arsène to splash out serious dosh on a youngish keeper that has the quality, like Adler or (would have loved Lloris but Lyon just bought him and we should never really do business with Lyon in any case). Don't see that happening though.

jay-d

Established Member
Lukazan said:
Almunia 5

Eboue 4
Gallas 7
Vermaelen 7
Gibbs 6

Song 7
Cesc 8
Diaby 6
Arshavin 6

Nasri 7
RVP 6

Ramsey 6
Eduardo 6
Rosicky 6

LOL Grumpy git.

Lazaq

Almunia - 7 ****ed up for their goal, was fine otherwise I thought.
Eboue - 4 Very shaky defensively and absolutely **** all when it came to end product offensively.
Gallas - 8 Strong and reliable.
Vermaelen - 9 Pure, undeniable awesomeness.
Gibbs - 6 Offense was good. Defensively however, very awkward.
Song - 8 Has become a real force to be reckoned with in the middle.
Cesc - 9 Too short. Next.
Diaby - 8 That's how I like it, yeah! Yeah, harder! Oh yes! Don't stop! Give it to me!
Arshavin -7.5 Three assists and just a 7.5? Yep, I'm a tough cookie. Can do even better.
Nasri - 8 Was delicious with the ball, worked hard without it.
RVP - 7 Did well, but nothing spectacular.

Ramsey - 6 Needs to bulk up, but did okay I guess.
Eduardo - 7 Fine. Good. Nice.
Rosicky - 7 God I miss him when he's not in there. That's what she said.

dutchMasta

Almunia - 6 (one amazing save, one awful moment, ok otherwise)
Eboue - 5 (some decent dribbles, but poor defensively)
Gallas - 8 (strong, dedicated, and eager to attack)
Vermaelen - 9 (vermaelen)
Gibbs - 6 (decent, but caught out once or twice. had to defend against their best player, a good test)
Song - 7 (solid, though some sloppy passes)
Cesc - 9 (total football)
Diaby - 8 (some bad habits still creep in, but one of his great performances)
Arshavin - 8.5 (3 great assists, although a bit wasteful at times)
Nasri - 8 (quality, great to have him back)
RVP - 7 (so on form, kept play ticking, always involved, great runs)

Ramsey - 6 (nothing to show)
Eduardo - 6.5 (wonderful backheel)
Rosicky - 6.5 (tidy, nice to have back)

god damn, i love this team

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Almunia 6
Eboue 5
Gallas 8
Vermaelen 8
Gibbs 6.5
Song 7
Diaby 7.5
Fabregas 9
Nasri 7
Arshavin 8
van Persie 7

Eduardo 6.5

vin de guerre

I do have to say that we are still a piece of art in process. I dont think we are the finished product yet but we are getting there! The only disappointment was letting in a goal.
I give a team rating of 8

vin de guerre

Sometimes it is worth listening to the "experts" on the TV! (very rarely though)
After the game the panel of "experts" ( Sports channel Israel)went through the games. After summarizing our game the general concensus was that Arsenal are at this stage of the season the best team in the world and a couple hope we maintain that standard or improve all the way through to the final whistle in Madrid. This is from a panel that is in love with Manure and La liga.

banduan

Established Member
Almunia - 5, need better distribution, and that should have been saved
Eboue - 5, not too bad but very very wasteful
Gallas - 7, overeager in attacking, yet calm and intelligent in any case
Vermaelen - 7, solid, insightful defending
Gibbs - 6, good going forward, good recovery, but needs to put some common sense awareness in his game
Song - 7, only in Arsenal do you get an ox with mazy dribbles
Cesc - 9, pulled strings in waves of passion
Diaby - 7, as long as he kept it simple, was good
Arshavin - 8, ultra efficient, put a shift in yet ultimately destroyed with little effort
Nasri - 8, tricksy, gutsy and surprisingly strong
RVP - 7, solid all-round performance, if somewhat unspectacular

Ramsey - 5, could have contributed more, needs to be stronger
Eduardo - 6, great backheel, get fit quicker damn you
Rosicky - 6, as with the Crozillian, looked rusty yet sharp enough to bite

Pepe LeFrits

Established Member
kamikaze80 said:
qs said:
For Gibbs do you mean Ramsey? Gibbs was nowhere to be seen IIRC, which is probably even worse considering our full backs are always the ones to cover the defensive duties when we have a set piece.
that was ramsey? even sloppier than i thought, then. you're right, where the hell was gibbs, then?

i know it's dumb to complain about a consolation goal after we annihilate someone, but it's all about getting into good habits. no one should have to tell gibbs to stay back in that situation, he should just know. although someone should've said something.
Gibbs was back, he was beaten in the air for the flick on to Lens.

Poor goal all-round to concede, but at least it came at 4-0 up. Hopefully they'll learn from it. Ramsey in particular was very slack in his play last night.

xcdude24

Established Member
Chelsea is better than us right now. Obviously anything could happen between now and the time we play them, but I think we'll struggle in that one. If anything, our home form will carry us with that one.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Lazaq said:
Song - 8 Has become a real force to be reckoned with in the middle.

Tell that to Holmann(sp?) who had many free runs at our defence last night. Song was average at best. Not doing his job effectively in terms of screening the back 4 and vacates the space far too often.

As I've said a billion times, on the ball Song is doing pretty well (though was sloppy last night) but off the ball leaves alot to be desired.

How hard is it to sit deep when we are protecting a lead. Very annoying and will cost us later unless we are more compact as a unit. Denilson, return soon!

kel varnsen

Established Member
Re: Arsenal vs AZ Match Ratings

Almunia 4
Eboue 7
Gallas 7
Vermaelen 7
Gibbs 7
Song 5
Cesc 9
Diaby 8
Arshavin 9