• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal vs Barcelona | CL QF | Wed 31 March 19:45 | ITV1

Captain

Established Member
gunner321 said:
And that United side was far better than our current side in big games.

Yes and no. If Ronaldo could get into the game they always had a shot but their midfield was functional and not only did they lose half of that functionality with Fletcher out but Fergie messed about with the front three for that game.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
Really some strange thing isnt it? Arsenal was praised of their pressure to the opponent to defend forward beginning of the season, but it never happends anymore right now

Gurgen

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
On Barca's pressing, I reckon its a strength and a weakness. THere was a couple of times in the second half when Bendtner got a hold of the ball and switched the play in our half and there was acres and acres of space on the other side. That something we should be looking at. If you move the ball quickly when you'v recovered it, you can exploit the space.

Absolutely correct.

We made them look much better than they are, there were acres of space in front of their back four and behind the fullbacks waiting to be exploited.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Not just Bendtner...Diaby had at least 2 opportunities to open Barca up on the left hand side but he dallied on the ball for too long. One of those resulted in Nasri going close with a shot but had Diaby the presence of mind/quality to see the pass earlier he could have split Barca open.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Yeah, there were times that we could have gone longer but Bendtner was playing **** so I doubt we would have been able to exploit it.

In regards to United, C.Ronaldo or their team couldn't do anything because they barely managed to get the ball. The longer you keep possession, the less chance the opposition has of hurting you. We need to accept this in every aspect of our team setup and player selections for us to maximise our abiltiy to keep the ball.

Don Pacifico

Established Member
It did indeed seem that in the middle portion of the game that we tried to catch them on the counter. There were definitely pockets of space that towards the end of the game, when their defence was tired, we actually exploited very well, particularly with Bendtner, Nasri and Theo.

To ad a bit of context to the game yesterday, Guardiola remarked that it was the best away performance he's ever managed. Whilst I wouldn't disagree that Barca are superior to us in terms of their technical potential, we can beat anyone on our day and we are still a very good team.

Nela

Established Member
Diaby's a pretty poor passer to be honest. I like him, but passing has long been one of his big weaknesses. Often if feels like he sees what pass he wants to make, but his foot can't execute it. Like if you're right footed/handed and you try to kick or throw a ball with your left hand/foot. It just won't do what you want it to.

asajoseph

Established Member
The thing I think that Barca did really well, particularly in the first half, and in comparison to most teams we play, was negate Diaby & Song's strength on the ball. Against most teams, these two have enough strength and skill to hold onto the ball that little bit longer under pressure and pick the best pass rather than the easiest.

Yesterday, Barca did an absolutely fantastic job of closing these two down in particular and disposessing them in situations they'd normally be more comfortable in.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Nela said:
Diaby's a pretty poor passer to be honest. I like him, but passing has long been one of his big weaknesses. Often if feels like he sees what pass he wants to make, but his foot can't execute it. Like if you're right footed/handed and you try to kick or throw a ball with your left hand/foot. It just won't do what you want it to.

His passing has been steadily improving all year long. Before he would only attempt short sideways passes due to a lack of confidence but he's become far more expansive and accurate over the past few months. I just think that he was caught out of his depth and that we were caught stranded with the huge amount of pressing they did. They man-marked each of our defenders and central midfielders and as a result our players just couldn't handle the ball, due to a lack of space and time. We won't ever see such tactics again, until we play Barcelona again, so I doubt Diaby or any other of our players for that matter would look so incompetent again, as they won't have to contend with such tactics.

lagos

Established Member
I think the occasion just got to Diaby. Even when we were fighting back, he in particular seemed to lack belief. They wrecked his confidence in the 1st few minutes and he never recovered!

gunner321

Another problem is we are terrible on the counter. Ok Walcott is good but he helps as an impact player for the last 30, lacks the guile to do it for the entire 90 against top defenders.

The amount of times we get a break and win the ball back and then just slow play down and let the opponents get back is amazing. And when we do go for a counter it seems to break down a lot. Happened last night and has happened constantly with this current team.

Massive difference between this side and the old Wenger sides which attacked with pace and decisiveness, and were deadly on the break.

Invincible

Established Member
Barcelona's first goal for me, showed why we won't get near the CL trophy anytime soon. I've seen better defending in sunday league.

gunner321

Both goals. Both time it was 1 pass and we were sliced open. Bad defending by the entire team. Giving time for those passes to be made (I mean look at the time Xavi had to pick his pass) and then the back line for letting Ibra run free down the middle.

Almunia deserves special mention for doing the only thing that could have allowed Ibra to score from that position and running out like an idiot.

est

Don Pacifico said:
To ad a bit of context to the game yesterday, Guardiola remarked that it was the best away performance he's ever managed. Whilst I wouldn't disagree that Barca are superior to us in terms of their technical potential, we can beat anyone on our day and we are still a very good team.
No. Apparently we are complete ****, stand no chances in any competition what so ever and should just give up and go home. :roll:

bojed

AM Resident Joker #1
thegame24 said:
Listen ffs, we gave them too much respect and made them look better. I wathc them in la liga every week and ****ter teams dont even get owned like that.

You're an idiot but I agree with you.

I watch la liga week in week out too. I'm not denying barca are a great team but even f*cking Malaga put in more pressure against barca than we did last night.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Btw, am I the only one impressed by Diaby's tracking back pace. I have never thought he would be faster than Ibra and Clichy. He caught up with both of them when Ibra had the side netting shot.

The wankfest and debate here is going nowhere. So many points being debated

Y va marquer

Established Member
I think it'll be a different story at the Cam Nou...
We'll have planted a seed of doubt in their minds.
They should have had us buried yesterday and they couldn't finish it.
Even if they were to take a lead I can't imagine that they'll feel too secure especially now that they're missing their first choice central defence. We need to play on that.
We have the game to score the goals so we just need to go for it. Nothing to lose.

patrick42uk

Established Member
What I absolutely hated yesterday was the way we'd stand back and let them pass the ball around. Have to say, Diaby was the most guilty of this. Just not enough pressure on the man on the ball. Yeah Barca are a great passing side but lets see what they can do under pressure. They had it way too easy.

Top Bottom