• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal vs Barcelona | CL QF | Wed 31 March 19:45 | ITV1

outlaw_member

Established Member
Nela said:
patrick42uk said:
Its interesting that Barca say this is one of their best performances. Maybe its because they turned up for the occasion. Or maybe its because they rarely meet teams that give them an easier ride. I cannot emphasise how clueless we are without the ball.
Those are my thoughts too. A lot of people are pointing to Guardiola's comments as some sort of comfort that we just happened to come up against a super-human Barca side without asking the question of whether the main reason they were super-human in the first place was us.

I think it had more to do with the fact no-one thought that they would be so utterly dominant against us. People expected a Barcelona win and them to control proceedings but they never thought that we would be embarassed at times by their sheer quality. It also indicates just how highly they rate us that they specifically devised an extremely high pressing line and that they valued their dominance at the Emirates above the many other games where they were also on top.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Was I the only one who thought that Henry was somewhat wasting time when he came on? He not only started running down cul-de-sacs but there were also moments where it seemed like he was saying to us 'come on lads, let's go for a casual run', then he would fall down and lose the ball. Like as if it was some time wasting ploy to stop Barcelona from creating an attack. He actually ended up helping us more then he did for his own team. Legend. :worthy

dbig

There was one moment when I thought he could have had a clear run at the goal but he sort of slowed down and went side ways a bit, allowing Song to get back into position. Not sure if that's the new Henry, but it was probably not what the Henry of Arsenal would have done.

jerome2158

Established Member
It was a bit hard to tell if he was doing it on purpose, or if it's just his age starting to show and take effect on his game.

Though i like to think that even if it was age, he was dragging it out to help us a bit.

KArsen

outlaw_member said:
Nela said:
patrick42uk said:
Its interesting that Barca say this is one of their best performances. Maybe its because they turned up for the occasion. Or maybe its because they rarely meet teams that give them an easier ride. I cannot emphasise how clueless we are without the ball.
Those are my thoughts too. A lot of people are pointing to Guardiola's comments as some sort of comfort that we just happened to come up against a super-human Barca side without asking the question of whether the main reason they were super-human in the first place was us.

I think it had more to do with the fact no-one thought that they would be so utterly dominant against us. People expected a Barcelona win and them to control proceedings but they never thought that we would be embarassed at times by their sheer quality. It also indicates just how highly they rate us that they specifically devised an extremely high pressing line and that they valued their dominance at the Emirates above the many other games where they were also on top.

It was Barca's best performance of this season. They are not in the same form as last year, maybe due to Eto'o leaving or just players not playing at the same level as well. Infact I thought they used to play better last year than they did against us in this tie.

Its not just that we look clueless without the ball, when pressurized we just dont give enough options quickly enough for the person with the ball to pass to. Lack of decision making and knowledge/practice of the pass and move game. Which has always suprised me since these youngsters coming from the youth/reserve team should already have learnt the pass and move over there. Except for Fabregas not one person stepping up from our youth/reserve team has been ready with the quick pass and move game when he joins the first team. Considering the way our team plays, shouldn't that be a criteria for joining up with the first team?

dreamLord

Established Member
arsenal-2-2-barcelona-passing-2.jpg

:shock:

outlaw_member

Established Member
Their fullbacks possess the ball more than anyone other position in the team bar the central midfielders. Even our fullbacks generally get alot of the ball, which is why it's so imperative that they are productive in one way or another.

otfgoon

Established Member
Not all that funny when you consider Barca had about 98.89% of the ball in the time he was on the pitch.

outlaw_member

Established Member
I thought this was an interesting point made by Arshavin. Thanks to Julius from the Lobby for the translation.

Did you have any particular plan for this match?

It was clear that we have to play very fast and go forward, in other words - to play our football. We didn’t prepare anything particular for Barca. However, it appeared that we were locked in our penalty box for 20 minutes. Opposition played very aggressively, controlled the ball and created chances. In fact, Barca plays football that we were taught to play by our manager Yuri Morozov (former manager of USSR in 1988-1990 and Zenit manager 2000-2002): to block opponents, to pressure them when losing the ball, to think about attack even when you’re defending. And just as you strip opponent of the ball, go on attack with the whole team at the same time. It’s very progressive football! And best in the world at the moment.

I can understand that we would have wanted to play our own way against Barcelona, so there wasn't a particular need to conjur up an alternate gameplan, but it does amaze me that we didn't seem to devise anything whatsoever. Not that you would have expected any else, though.

dutchMasta

irishgunnerz said:
dutchMasta said:
sabret00the said:
:lol: @ Arshavin's successful passes.
I know, hilarious wasn't it. Ripped my vocal chords laughing at that one.

Never mind that! I dont remember Manny being that accurate :D
Actually, was being sarcastic about Shava, find it shocking if anything. But Al though, props to him for being the only one to do better than his opposition number!

sabret00the

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
I thought this was an interesting point made by Arshavin. Thanks to Julius from the Lobby for the translation.

Did you have any particular plan for this match?

It was clear that we have to play very fast and go forward, in other words - to play our football. We didn’t prepare anything particular for Barca. However, it appeared that we were locked in our penalty box for 20 minutes. Opposition played very aggressively, controlled the ball and created chances. In fact, Barca plays football that we were taught to play by our manager Yuri Morozov (former manager of USSR in 1988-1990 and Zenit manager 2000-2002): to block opponents, to pressure them when losing the ball, to think about attack even when you’re defending. And just as you strip opponent of the ball, go on attack with the whole team at the same time. It’s very progressive football! And best in the world at the moment.

I can understand that we would have wanted to play our own way against Barcelona, so there wasn't a particular need to conjur up an alternate gameplan, but it does amaze me that we didn't seem to devise anything whatsoever. Not that you would have expected any else, though.
Our football works against them, however in order to attempt it, everyone has to do their jobs, a midfield that just backs off of the opponents isn't going to help us.

Arsenal Quotes

In June 1996, David Dein, Peter Hill-Wood and Danny Fiszman came out to Nagoya to meet me on behalf of Arsenal. Within an hour we came to an agreement. The Japanese directors didn't try to keep hold of me in the usual way but talked with persuasive arguments... But as far as I was concerned, the decision was taken. Arsenal. A decision that would change my life.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom