• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal vs Newcastle - Player Ratings

mistaT

Established Member
Been a while since I've seen a ratings thread - be nice to have a go after a win of that quality :mrgreen:

Szcesny - 6 - Not his best game, like his willingness to play from the back but should have done better on their goal

Sagna - 8 - Full of energy galloping up and down the right flank all night
Kos - 7 - Committed performance again from him
Vermalean - 7.5 - GWG aside he was alright, but loved his determination for the goal
Gibbs - 6 - Wasn't impressed with his play going forward or defending

Song - 6 - Decent game, wasn't overly involved but was tidy and strong
Arteta - 6 - Kept the ball moving, won balls but I'd like to see more
Rosicky - 8.5 - Really helped us press and keep an upbeat tempo, unlucky not to score and I think the blame is 50/50 on that chance

Theo - 8 - I love these kind of games from Theo...not overly involved in build up but some killer crossing and defensively smart on the wing
RVP - 7 - Not his best game, troll face is hilarious though
Chamberlain - 6 - very very weak game from his standards

Ramsey - 7 - looked sharper
Gervinho - 6 - ineffectual as usual

MOTM - split between Rosicky and Theo...hard not to give it to Theo for his contribution in both goals

Wenger - 7 - Not impressed with Ramsey for Rosicky, felt we should have pulled Arteta and then had Rosicky/Ramsey ahead of Song

ferrarif50hunt

Established Member
Szczesny - 6: Only had 2 shots on goal to deal with, one was an easy save and the other went in.

Sagna - 8: Great performance, him and Theo dominated the right side.

Koscielny - 8: Added Demba Ba to his pocket tonight, brilliant.

Vermaelen - 8: All over the place for the Newcastle goal, really should have done better. Was good after that though and scored the winner, so all is forgiven.

Gibbs - 7: Again, all over the place for the Newcastle goal. Apart from that though, he didn't do much wrong and was occasionally threatening going forward.

Song - 7: Played pretty well, nothing spectacular but got the job done. He's quickly becoming the king of the chipped through ball, played some great passes over the top to Robin.

Arteta - 7: Mr Consistent. Nothing amazing from him but he keeps the game ticking and controlled the pace.

Rosicky - 9: MOTM for me, absolutely outstanding performance again from him. The only thing he really did wrong was miss that chance, his pressing was brilliant.

Walcott - 8: Did really well. His crossing was good and he actually ran at the defence, want to see more of the same in the future.

van Persie - 7: Great goal, did really well to get it on his left foot and finish it. Missed a few good chances as well though, most notably a shot from 6 yards straight at Krul and a right footed effort from 8 yards which almost went out for a throw in.

Chamberlain - 6: Not his night unfortunately, just couldn't get in the game. Went on one really good run though and also tried a really good volley from outside the box.

Subs

Gervinho - 5: Didn't really do anything apart from drag an absolute sitter wide of the post somehow.

Ramsey - 6: Again, didn't really do much apart from a few tidy passes and a couple of crosses.

Airknight

Established Member
Szcesny - 6 - I was scared a couple of times when he hold the ball for a little more time than needed

Sagna - 9 - MOTM, was everywhere
Vermaelen - 7 - Sharp and got us the goal, but keep losing headers against Ba
Gibbs - 6 - Too quiet

Song - 6.5 - Wasn't so slow when holding the ball and once again showed glimpses of his passing
Arteta - 6.5 - Liked how he started to help offensively on the second half, still there are passages when both him and Song become too static
Rosicky - 8.5 - Good game, improved superbly on the second half but missed a sitter

Theo - 8 - Effective when we needed him, but dissapeared for a while. Great crossing.
RVP - 6.5 - Poor game, great in the goal but unneeded yellow and had trouble controlling the ball a few times.
Chamberlain - 6 - Did very little.

Ramsey - 7 - Did the assist to the second goal and didn't destroy our play.
Gervinho - 6 - Another "Gervinho moment", did a nice play but you can see he needs to be more brave.

MOTM - Sagna

Wenger - 9 - The Ramsey sub worked :lol: but his best move? not subbing Theo, spot on there.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Chesney 6 nothing to do in the game apart the newcastle goal was quality shot from benarfa and its hard to save it.

Sagna 7 great performance mate
Kosh 7 not good first 5min but he return to kosh the boss
Tv5 8 What a run and at the 2nd goal he play with a knock he is beast and deserve MOTM
Gibbs 7 not good first 15min but then he start playing very well

Song 6.5 good game
Arteta 7 good game
Rozza 7.5 f**king amazing man keep it up

Walcott 7.5 great tow assist mate
Aoc 6 not good game but dont be sad its just the begining long way to go OX
Rvp 7 world class goal

Subs

Gervinho 5 miss an open goal, really gervinho stop being very scared and give a confeidence to yourself.

Ramsey 7 very good when he enter some nice passes.

DiamondGooner

Established Member
ferrarif50hunt said:
Szczesny - 6: Only had 2 shots on goal to deal with, one was an easy save and the other went in.

Sagna - 8: Great performance, him and Theo dominated the right side.

Koscielny - 8: Added Demba Ba to his pocket tonight, brilliant.

Vermaelen - 8: All over the place for the Newcastle goal, really should have done better. Was good after that though and scored the winner, so all is forgiven.

Gibbs - 7: Again, all over the place for the Newcastle goal. Apart from that though, he didn't do much wrong and was occasionally threatening going forward.

Song - 7: Played pretty well, nothing spectacular but got the job done. He's quickly becoming the king of the chipped through ball, played some great passes over the top to Robin.

Arteta - 7: Mr Consistent. Nothing amazing from him but he keeps the game ticking and controlled the pace.

Rosicky - 9: MOTM for me, absolutely outstanding performance again from him. The only thing he really did wrong was miss that chance, his pressing was brilliant.

Walcott - 8: Did really well. His crossing was good and he actually ran at the defence, want to see more of the same in the future.

van Persie - 7: Great goal, did really well to get it on his left foot and finish it. Missed a few good chances as well though, most notably a shot from 6 yards straight at Krul and a right footed effort from 8 yards which almost went out for a throw in.

Chamberlain - 6: Not his night unfortunately, just couldn't get in the game. Went on one really good run though and also tried a really good volley from outside the box.

Subs

Gervinho - 5: Didn't really do anything apart from drag an absolute sitter wide of the post somehow.

Ramsey - 6: Again, didn't really do much apart from a few tidy passes and a couple of crosses.

I'll 2nd this because I think you've said it pretty spot on tbh.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Rozza MOTM 9.

Alot of very average performers apart from that, and particularly against a Newcastle side that showed little ambition.

Felt for Ox as everything went down our right first half. He'll have learnt a thing or two tonight. 6's and 7's the rest.

ArsenalDNA

Szczesny - 6 - 2 shots on target. It was a decent shot for their goal but he really should have been covering near post a bit better.

Sagna - 7.5 - Was everywhere down that right side.
Koscielny - 7.5 - Had Ba in his pocket the whole game.
Vermaelen - 8 - +1 for the goal. Maybe could have done better for their goal but other than that had a good game.
Gibbs - 6.5 - Should have shut down HBA a bit better. Got up and down reasonably well.

Arteta - 7.5 - Controlled the game.
Song - 7 - Good game. Helped dominate their midfield.
Rosicky - 8.5 - His run of great form has continued. Pretty rough pass for his chance.

Theo - 9 - MotM - Probably as good as he's played all year. Threatened the whole game and had a massive hand in both of our goals. His pass for Rosicky could have been a bit better but his pass for RvP in the first couple of minutes was awesome. If there's one thing i would have wanted was to see him attack centrally from time to time.
RvP - 6.5 - Not his best game. Had quite a few chances that he should have done better with. World class close control for the goal though. If he was on he could have easily finished with 3 or 4.
AOC - 6.5 - Found it tough to get involved but hardly his fault considering how good Theo was on the other side. Did ok with the chances he was getting including a volley that surely would have been our goal of the season if it had gone in.

Subs
Ramsey - 7 - Thought he did alright when he came on. Looked to keep the tempo up. Thought he should have come on for one of the other midfielders though.
Gervinho - 5 - Pretty poor really. Fckd a pretty decent chance. It didn't seem like AOC was tiring so struggling to see why he was taken off.

Hoya

Szcz- 6- Agree, he should have done better with the goal.

Gibbs- 6- Nothing too impressive, had some nice spells of possession and some bonehead moments.

Vermaelen- 7- Decent game, tremendous effort for the goal obviously, very important for us. Love love him.

Koscielny- 7- Good performance, a little more solid than Verms I thought defensively.

Sagna- 8- Man, did we miss him. I thought his crossing was good tonight, but alas, we are Arsenal with no one in the box.

Song- 7- liked his positioning tonight, thought he really stayed back and let the offense function. Overhit some tough through balls, but overall a solid game.

Arteta- 7.5- thought he kept possession for us really well, always available for the pass. Wish he'd try some more creative passes, but we dominated the midfield because of how well he kept possession.

Rosicky- 8.5- He's been awesome the past month. No coincidence that our form has really picked up with him playing. Fantastic effort. Glaring miss, but I never expect goals from him anyways 8))

Oxlade-Chamberlain- 6- Didn't really come off for him tonight. Looked dangerous but his decision-making let him down a bit, but this should be another good learning experience, and we got the win too.

Walcott- 8- Dangerous all night. Some great passing, looked to cut into the box instead of running out of space down the wings, which is his most frustrating attribute for me. Great game, improved in general as of late.

van Persie- 6.5- Another great goal, but I thought his decision-making today was questionable in front of goal and missed quite a few chances. Of course, if he keeps scoring every game who cares.

Gervinho- 5- Hope he rounds into form. Wish we had a Cup he could play in still to help him get back to it...

Ramsey- 7- Looked good when he came on, but should not threaten any of the current midfield 3 for their place right now. Liked what I saw tonight, but we did see some more of him holding onto the ball for a bit too long which has turned into his biggest weakness.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Szczesny.........6.....beaten at the near post. Little else to do really. Usual nervy moments with his distribution.

Sagna..........7.5.....he's been a rock in recent weeks. Back to his best.
Koscielny...........7.5......solid as a rock. Looks alot better than Vermaelen recently.
TV...........7.....extra for the desire to pop up and score the winner. Defensively I thought he had another average shaky game.
Gibbs.........6.......don't see the fuss with this kid really. It's crucial that our full-backs join the attack but you can't make glaring errors every game. His positional awareness stinks, too naive and casual.

Song........6....average.
Arteta......7....first half he was pretty meh, second half I thought he was key for us and played with more drive. Possibly rushed back too soon, who knows, he looked laboured early on but grew as the game went on.
Rosicky.........8...MOTM....only midfielder who showed first half. Rich vein of form right now. Probably would have scored but for a horrible pass from Theo, it was overhit leaving Rosicky to throw his weaker foot at it.

Theo.........8.....heavily involved. Usual passages of sub-par play but he's at least looking confident and somewhat productive these days. Does look a tad slower to me aswell.
RVP...........7....wasn't a great night for Robin, but scored and knifed Krul so a 7 seems fair. Could have had more goals.
AOC.........5.5.....had a shot and did little else. Snuffed out of the game really.

eye4goal

Established Member
The Jury said:
Felt for Ox as everything went down our right first half. He'll have learnt a thing or two tonight. 6's and 7's the rest.

He still has alot to learn in terms of movement without the ball. He did alot better in the second half, but I think people are getting carried away in thinking he should be a starter next season

eye4goal

Established Member
fabo said:
Sagna..........7.5.....he's been a rock in recent weeks. Back to his best.

His energy is unreal. We tend to over-use him by playing exclusively on the right but he kept it going for 90 mins. He is becoming a leader too this season. I heard he was screaming at our players to get back into defence when the RVP vs Krul melee was on

David Smith

Established Member
Szczesny - 6 - It was a power strike that beat him at his near post. He could've done better, just as much credit goes to the strike that beat him.

Sagna - 7.5 - Superb. Showing great energy running up and down that flank. Supported Theo when needed. Not great crosses however.

Kos - 7.5 - Solid as a rock. Committed defensive performance from him.

Vermalean - 7 - He has to take blame for giving possession away and not doing enough to prevent the goal. That run however, more than takes his mistake away.

Gibbs - 5.5 - He didn't impress me much. He should've stuck with Ben Arfa to prevent the goal (or show him onto his weaker foot) and he lost possession often in attack.

Song - 6.5 - Decent.

Arteta - 8 - Did really well I thought, an under rated performance. He made vital interceptions, courageous defensive work and controlled the pace of the game. Was often the starting point of many attacking moves.

Rosicky - 8 - Showed superb will and courage. Like Arteta, Rosicky made moves flowing and did well in defence. Unlucky not to score but he shouldn't feel saddened, needs to keep trying in the upcoming games.

Theo - 8 - With help from Sagna Theo dominated that flank. Made the final moves that lead to both goals.

RVP - 7 - Superb goal but should've scored 3. If this was RVP on a bad day.... *troll face*.
Great captain showing.

Chamberlain - 5.5 - Not a good game by his very high standards. Did little to contribute. Looked frustrated when he was substituted but Wenger made the right call. I hope he was disappointed with himself and not his manager because that way he will drive himself on to do better.

--subs--

Ramsey - 6 - Looking sharp when he came on, eager to get on the end of things.

Gervinho - 5.5 - Should've scored. Needs to make his decisions better.

Segway

Szczesny 6.5 - Had very little to do in general but could perhaps have done a little better on their goal although the finish was close to perfect in terms of power and precision.

Sagna 7.5 - Incredible athleticism displayed along with determination and his partnership with Theo looked good.
TV5 7.5 - Inhuman the way he ran about like a mad man in the last 15 minutes of the game. He wanted that winner more than anything which is how it should be.
Kos 7 - Very reliable and solid at the back. Ba barely got a sniff of the ball but he does tend to take a lot of chances when he moves forward to intercept leaving space in behind.
Gibbs 6.5 - Defensively he still has a lot to learn but I'm surprised every game watching his ball control. When he's in possession I just can't see him losing it.

Song 7 - His through balls were pants but his work rate can't be questioned.
Arteta 7.5 - Was a key part of our pressing and helped us keep possession very assuredly. Good performance.
Rosicky 8 - Took Tiote to the cleaners. Worked extremely hard as well.

Walcott 9 MOTM - He literally ran them ragged down our right hand side. Though it was an amazing display and got 2 assists to his name.
RvP 7 - His goal is what we've come to expect from Robin but his first touch and then the finish really was special. Fluffed a good number of chances and uncharacteristically miscontrolled the ball on a couple of occassions in dangerous positions so not his best game.
The OX 6.5 - So much of our game was concentrated on our right side that he had to move in there to become involved thus he had a pretty anonymous display.

SUBS:

Gerv 5.5 - What a glaring miss he had. I still have high hopes for him though and believe he'll become a great player for us. He's just bereft of confidence I feel.
Ramsey 6.5 - Thought he looked surprisingly quick. His injury lay off could have been just what the doctor ordered.

Arsenal Quotes

A player's true character is in how he plays and not in his social life. You can hide your real personality in your social life, You cannot on the field.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom