• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal vs Plymouth Match Ratings

hackajack

Established Member
Gibbs is an excellent player but doesn't look like any kind of defender to me, I'd prefer to see him on the left wing (and Eboue at RB).

banduan

Established Member
hackajack said:
Gibbs is an excellent player but doesn't look like any kind of defender to me, I'd prefer to see him on the left wing (and Eboue at RB).

I'd agree with that. Our LB's are typically dodgy defensively though, ever since Cashley left.

asajoseph

Established Member
Gibbs doesn't have the game to make it as a midfielder at this club - I'd stake a lot of money on that.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
I've no idea exactly how good Gibbs is. I've seen him as a midfielder in the english U19 team a couple of times though and he's been excellent. I think he could turn into a more successful version of Eboue in the end: a defender who's able to step up and play on the wing whenever it's needed. There's much work still needed though, but the signs are encouraging. He looks like a positive force mentally as well. Can never have enough of those players.

FrankArsenal

I'd like either Gibbs or Traore as a back up to Nasri on the LW. We've got Rosicky and Walcott on the right: 1 speeddevil/winger and 1 ACM, then we would also have that on the left wing. Maybe Traore is more suited for the LW roll cause he's really fast and did score sometimes for the reserves.

Asa, why do you think Gibbs can't make it in midfield? Because he's not a typical Arsenal player or because we've got to many midfielders?

hesham

Established Member
Didn't get to see this game, judging by the scores for Diaby he done pretty well in the DM role. Good enough to get a run in that position?

Feet

It was Plymouth. So I'd take Diabys performance with a massive pinch of salt. If he can do it against Premiership sides the likes of Bolton and Hull then I'll agree he may have a future in the position but my personal feeling is he should play as a second striker further up the pitch. My own opinion is that he won't make it as a DM or holding CM. He might learn to be disciplined, to look up and play it simple when he needs to, but he can't tackle. At all. He's injured quite a few players when he tries to win the ball. Against Plymouth it's fine as we had 70% possession, he rarely needed to make a tackle, but against Prem opposition where we'll need to win the ball back far more he'll come unstuck as he has in the past.

His performance against Fener informs us of his best position, and it wasn't as in a holding role ala Gilberto.

asajoseph

Established Member
FrankArsenal said:
Asa, why do you think Gibbs can't make it in midfield? Because he's not a typical Arsenal player or because we've got to many midfielders?

Technically, I don't think he's got enough quality to make it in midfield.

It's the same deal as with Eboue and Clichy - when receiving the ball with time and space, he's good enough to use the ball efficiently and effectively to provide a good offensive outlet for a fullback. But for a midfielder, I don't think he'll make enough of a contribution, often enough, to succeed at a club that's serious about challenging for the title.

He has defensive flaws to his game, but he's got a great attitude, looks like he loves to tackle, and provides a decent attacking outlet from this position. He's got a lot to learn, but considering how new he is to this position, there's going to be a lot of room for improvement.

ricky1985

Established Member
I think Kieran Gibbs' future lies at left back. He doesn't have the dribbling ability, penetrative movement, or the creative potential to play left wing for us.

The attributes Gibbs have lend themselves much more towards a top left back, rather than a top left winger. It is a lot easier to teach someone defensive positioning or tackling technique, than it is to teach penetrative movement, or the right creative pass in the final third, and there is no way to teach someone the ability to run at people with the ball. You've either got that or you haven't.

hackajack

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
I think Kieran Gibbs' future lies at left back. He doesn't have the dribbling ability, penetrative movement, or the creative potential to play left wing for us.
I see him as a solid left midfielder, not a winger per se. It isn't so easy to 'make' defenders as people think, mind you if a clown like Glen Johnson can make a career at RB who knows.

ricky1985

Established Member
hackajack said:
ricky1985 said:
I see him as a solid left midfielder, not a winger per se. It isn't so easy to 'make' defenders as people think, mind you if a clown like Glen Johnson can make a career at RB who knows.

It isn't easy Hack, but it is easier than trying to teach someone, an eye for the right pass, or the ability make incisive runs. Gibbs has, or will have, similar athletic ability to Glen Johnson, and similar technical ability, but his attitude is already infinitely better than Johnson's.
He could be a really good left back one day, but I don't see him being anything more than mid-table standard, left sided-midfielder. Which is not to be scoffed at, but at left back he has serious potential.

Ideally I would love to have Gibbs stay in our squad for the next fifteen years as a squad player, at the very least, pushing Clichy hard for his spot, plus Kieran is 5 years younger than Gael. It will be nice if the current crop of youngsters can all forge a career at Arsenal in some capacity, together. Hoyte, Nordveit, Gibbs, Traore, Lansbury, Randall, Ramsey, Wilshere, Merida, Barazite, Simpson, Rui Fonte, Vela, and many, many more coming through. I know they won't all make it, but the vast majority have a real chance. Imagine winning major trophies with all these kids forming the team and squad together, what an achievment that would be! I think it's what Arsène is working towards.

Arsenal Quotes

As far as i'm concerned, Tony Adams is the effing Empire State Building

Ian Wright

Latest posts

Top Bottom