• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal wins Gabriel red card appeal

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20150922/fa-release-statement-on-gabriel

There you go. Even FA literally admits that the red card was wrongly given to Gabriel. It was never a red by the letter of law, there was no contact and even intent was arguable given that he was back facing him.

What is shocking about this is that it basically meant Mike Dean did not get a SINGLE decision right that day. Shocking display.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Thats great news as he wont be banned but we were still robbed of him being on the pitch for 90 mins. Mike Dean should not be refereeing PL games for some time, but obviously he will.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Too little to late. The damage has been done. Only strengthens the need for instant replay, Costa should have been off and we should have had 11 men.
Agree. Little consolation but at least justice is served.

The United fans, who wanted justice for Gabriel all of a sudden isn't pleased with this at all because it means he is available to face them. :lol:

RandyMarsh

Established Member
I hope this means he's coming straight back into the 1st team and Mertesacker is now officially 3rd choice. The appeal would be kind of pointless if Per comes back in now and starts for the Leicester and United games.

RandyMarsh

Established Member
So what's Mike Dean's punishment in all of this? Or are referees just immune to any sort of justice nowadays? The **** should be banned from all high profile games from now on.

gunnergoa

Although i am ecstatic i cannot help but feel that's this is a reactionary action taken by the FA after it faced a **** storm of angst from media, fans and ex footballers. *In short what they are trying to say is "yeah Mike dean is ****" their incompetence cost us the match.
Its like giving candy to a toddler after he is given a shot on the arm. The overturning is just FA's way or shrugging responsibility appeasing the fans if they really want to do things right let us have a replay.

onetowatch

Unexpected good news. Hopefully that **** Costa gets a 3 or even 6 match ban and ends up costing his club points.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
**** me! As good a case as I thought he had, I naturally thought it'd make no difference. What a poke in the eye for those ****s, and a bit of a statement from the FA, that.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Thats great news as he wont be banned but we were still robbed of him being on the pitch for 90 mins. Mike Dean should not be refereeing PL games for some time, but obviously he will.
I very much doubt he'll be reffing an Arsenal game for a long time to come. It'd put him under too much scrutiny.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

So Gabriel was a stupid **** who costed his team yeah?

This incident should also educate people to back your own players when they are clearly right. I guess people who said Gabriel was stupid and should have

A) Either punch him hard to get sent off
B) Don't defend his teammates at all

and that the matter was a red card offence can rest their case now. Never a sending off. Refereeing error no matter where you see it from (before or after Costa's incident with Koscielny). Case closed.

Giroud

Established Member
So what's Mike Dean's punishment in all of this? Or are referees just immune to any sort of justice nowadays? The **** should be banned from all high profile games from now on.

I don't think this is all Dean's fault. Pretty much all the controversy happened off the ball and it's impossible for the ref to see all these incidents while following the play. My issue is how Costa managed to get away with hitting Kos twice in the face without any of the officials seeing it. If the linesmen couldn't spot this then another two officials must be introduced at both goals. People often slag off the use of them in the CL and critisise their lack of input on the game but there's no way Costa would have escaped a straight red if this was a CL tie.

As usual with English football the root cause of the problem is the poorly run FA. If they didn't waste millions on goal line technology and just added two extra officials Chelsea would have been the team with 10 men and we would have had an excellent chance of collecting 3 points.

Too little too late as usual. The only way to stop this happening again is to give the officials more help yet the FA have done nothing to prevent this happening again.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle

Yes, he did. Had he not reacted at all, he would have stayed on the pitch.

If you did what he did, there's every chance--rightly or wrongly--that ref will send you off for it. You just dont chance it.

That it has been rescinded 3 days later doesn't change that at all.

StoppageTime

Just happy to have Gab back for Sp**s. Three match ban for Costa, so long term, the whole fiasco could actually hurt Chelsea more than us :p

How amazing would it be if they got relegated. Would completely destroy that bas***d club.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
It's a lesson learnt for Gabbers hopefully. He's learnt first-hand now what English "referees" are actually like. I'm very excited by what I'm seeing from him as a player otherwise. He was excellent before the red card.

US_Gooner

Established Member

This incident should also educate people to back your own players when they are clearly right. I guess people who said Gabriel was stupid and should have

A) Either punch him hard to get sent off
B) Don't defend his teammates at all

and that the matter was a red card offence can rest their case now. Never a sending off. Refereeing error no matter where you see it from (before or after Costa's incident with Koscielny). Case closed.
Now I've seen everything; an Arsenal fan using a FA decision to justify their point-of-view.

So if the FA had not found with Gabriel, you'd still be defending that decision? I think not.

Top Bottom