• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène dismisses talk of defoe

marhes26

Do not slander Arsenal by linking them with any transfer targets!! thats an insult to the club!! signing players is against the law when it comes to them!!.We wont sign anyone...full stop.Trezeguet,Eto'o,Kluivert,Me,you..no one!!!.Arsenal are always so quick to dismiss any signings like it's some kind of crime against the club.I can see whats going to happen...we will have all our strikers injured and only have Mr Papadoupalous (The guy that owns the launderette in Eastenders)up front.People say that we should wait until the summer to buy this and that one but you cant tell me that a signing wouldnt give everbody a lift at this stage in the season?.

satan_beckham

wenger kept saying that he have faith in youngsters and will let them play,but can someone tell me why he let volz who is a promising youngster go? Its really hard to be convinced about his words

Sammer

Established Member
I agree "satan"....

Wenger should have extended Volz´ loan to the end of the season and then Volz should have competed with Lauren. in 2004/2005

Andrew

satan_beckham said:
wenger kept saying that he have faith in youngsters and will let them play,but can someone tell me why he let volz who is a promising youngster go? Its really hard to be convinced about his words

If we didn't get good money for Volz (ie. 2-3 million at least) then I don't think we should have sold him.

lewdikris

Established Member
Once again .... because Toure is the first choice right back now.

I could repeat this once a day if you like. :|

reggiepaul

I have to agree and slightly disagree with marhes. It's true our signings are always covert and anonymous. Even some people who want to be Myles Palmers Hussy don't realise that those bits of information were available way before that person was signed. Most of the players we are associated with are unknown to most of us. How many of us have actually seen them play regularly and on top of that - with the great players we already have at the club, how many of you actually think that player would make such a massive difference? Difference to what scale - if we up the stakes, our competition will surely up the stakes as well because we will NEVER have a one way ticket to glory no matter who we buy.

That is why Wenger strengthens the team from within. Mental strength. Camaraderie. These factors are what builds a great squad and what most effective managers use.

Personally though I can't see the problem with Kluivert. People say he has an attitude problem and a bad lifestyle. Let's picture the situation then. In soap opera world, Kluivert will not arrive to training. He will not play well for us. He will have multiple affairs with teenage women from the local council house estate. He will be on a dangerous cocktail of drugs and all kinds of things. His performance, when on the pitch will be dire and he will chat up women as well as men on the stands.

Surely we don't want a player like that. Yet, surely, when we are not living in the "once upon a time" land this will never happen.

Kluivert is the cheapest of options available to us. I heard the other day we are going to sign a new player very soon who is an international star. How much truth to that is I don't know. Yet if we look at things sensically - first of all, Kluivert is a very good player. No doubts there. Secondly the whole lifestyle, attitude talk is born of self righteous garbage. Thirdly, how many players do you KNOW who are so hell bent in football they cause problems for the club and everyone around them - other than the crap we choose to believe in the papers, BUT how many, on field are actually problematic. I don't think there are any.

Importantly - Wenger is a highly experienced manager now and also importantly the board are also experienced in this light as well. No one will be bought if they know any problems will arise from it.

Other than that, for the next two seasons I feel if we didn't buy anyone (until 2005) we would have the metal available at the club but someone should be bought for sure because some guys are getting on in years. Saying that - for arsenal, if someone came in someone would have to leave. So we eased things up at right back. Someone may well be coming or we may leave things be.

Football is football (i.e. on the field) and the tabloids are tabloids. That distinction should always exist so that it doesn't waste peoples time.

jc8gooner

for the next two seasons I feel if we didn't buy anyone (until 2005) we would have the metal available at the club but someone should be bought for sure because some guys are getting on in years.

I do agree there, but players also have to be brought in to freshen up the squad at times, to give opposition something more to think about, to increase competition for places within the squad. Within the next 2 0r 3 years, we will definitely need to buy a replacement for Bergkamp, a replacement for Pires and a replacement for wiltord and Lehmann, unless w can provide a player from within the club's existing ranks- Bentley, Aliadiere, Pennant, Stack, Taylor....etc

reggiepaul

Yeah I agree with that. The 2005 I saw as a limit really. Yet who do we bring in? A lot of the names mentioned - don't impress me that much. The players we have grabbed in the past had titbits of glory to their hands and notes of exceptional experience. The latest names we are associated with are glorified by the headlines only yet. Which is acceptable to a point.

Dunno :|, I can see Pennant making a difference but our Champions league schedule isn't AS taxing as last season as well. FA Cup we can handle game after game. We will have the the bunch back soon fighting fit as well. I think the summer would be the key but if someone does come in it'll mix things up pretty well. He has to be good for club (financially) and players too though.

jc8gooner

lot of the names mentioned - don't impress me that much.
I feel exactly the same way. Smith, Viduka, Kluivert all have their problems and might not even be good enough. Ther will be somebody oming in during the summer, definitely one striker, but I don't think any fans really know who yet? It will not be any of those I have just mentioned. We will just have to wait and see.

reggiepaul

Well I hear someone is coming in very soon and maybe the Volz removal was part of that. I don't care as much really. Reason being we always have this phase of suspense and wonder beforehand and then when someone arrives we wonder some more - then at the end of it all we're back to fighting at the top as the competition adapt and so we adapt likewise.

If there was a quick fix to edge beyond our present competition I am sure the board and Wenger would go for it but if you look at teams who have bought big with finances available, they remain in the position they are in. As much as Wenger is a brilliant manager his hands are tied around the stability of football. Sure, some footballers are remarkable players individually but as a team you can be outwitted quite easily and also be outwitted by mediocre teams as well - no matter what edge you posess as a team.

I still feel Pennant is one of the best weapons we have to operate well with whoever is upfront or working ahead of the midfield. It's an option because he is a team player I feel he could make a massive difference to the team.

Webdesignlab

Established Member
lewdikris said:

Yes it is official TOURE is the new Thuram. Voltz would never have got his place.

johe

Webdesignlab said:
lewdikris said:

Yes it is official TOURE is the new Thuram. Voltz would never have got his place.

Well, if Toure's going to be our first choice right back, we shouldn't be talking of a new striker, but a centre back. Cygan's ok, but Keown retires soon. We have Senderos though.

lewdikris

Established Member
There could be a new centre back in the summer, maybe, but i'd bank on Wenger pushing Senderos through next season, if and when all his injuries are over.

He's that highly rated that 10-15 first team games is not unlikely ... and when the current first four choice is unavailable, Kolo can go central with Lauren or Hoyte at right back. There are lots of options.

thegame24

Established Member
after we win the quad or at least the champs league and prem, we will have the money to buy a super star something we havnt done since bergkamp and that wasnt really major but really exciting.

A

Anonymous

jsut curious here guys.but where is senderos?i know he's been injured, but when is his recovery due?

Gooner83

im disappointed, Defoe is the best young talent i've ever seen.. far better than hyper boy Rooney.. and i can't understand why he isn't a full international.. maybe if he moved to Arsenal ;D

Arsenal Quotes

I’ve told Dave to cut off his ponytail. I think it makes him less aerodynamic.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, May 17

Cedric and Mohamed Elneny will leave the clubs when their contracts expire this summer [Fabrizio Romano]

Newcastle have joined Arsenal and Liverpool in the race to sign Barcelona winger Raphinha [TBR Football]

Arsenal are keen on Benfica’s 21 year old striker Marcos Leonardo [TBR Football]

Aaron Ramsdale denies agreement to join Newcastle:

Talks have progressed over a deal to take Ramsdale to Newcastle, in a potential £15m deal [Luke Edwards and Sam Dean - Telegraph]

Latest posts

Top Bottom