• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arteta’s Transfer Targets: Summer 2024

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 3,585
  • Views 181,415

KnoxvilleGooner

Rashford would be the better fit. Don’t think we need a Mezzala like Musiala.
I think if you can get a talent like Musiala you probably just do it and figure out the rest later. But I do tend to agree with him not being a natural fit for our system. We lack a bit in build up play with Rice as the 6, and dropping in a left 8 that is more on-ball talent rather than someone who helps massively in build-up play could be a tough fit. Its tough because I love Rice as the 6 defensively, but becoming more on board with him being the 8, especially in the big games, as the future plan. It is a bit alarming how much more open we seem without him at the 6 though.

Who knows, having potentially Timber and White as the outside backs could really help Rice in build up next year if Arteta wants to keep him at the 6.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
I wonder what the latest is with Ruben Neves - whether he still wants away from the desert and whether Al-Hilal are still willing to part with him. Loan with an option?

KnoxvilleGooner

Kind of an interesting question to think about...

I think there are probably six signings we could really use (not counting backup GK). Assuming we probably only have the budget to sign four of them, which of the following two profiles would you opt to not address this summer?

1. Striker
2. Winger with a pacey profile
3. Attacking left 8
4. 6/8 hybrid kind of profile (or just a 6 if the plan is for Rice to be the 8 in the future) to partner with Rice in midfield
5. Left back (either a more attacking option or someone in that White/Timber mold, depending on Arteta's plans for the system)
6. CB (Not realistic to expect Saliba and Gabriel to start every game)

I think personally i'd opt to build the summer around a marquee midfield partner for Rice (and hopefully keep Partey to rotate with them when he is fit) and a quality speedy winger to provide competition of Martinelli/Trossard on the left and be able to spell Saka on the right. Players in the profile of Bruno G. and Nico Williams, to name examples we've been linked to. After that i'd be tempted to try and get a defender that is a bit more of a center back than a left back, but can still do the outside back role in a pinch (like a better version of Kiwior), as I don't love the idea of potentially having to play White or Timber at CB in a big game.

For the final signing, I'd love to get a quality striker, but think if you're going the developmental route there (Sesko, Zirkzee, etc) that the money would be better spent on an attacking 8 that can help in the games against the smaller teams. Couple things that could impact this: The fact that a big time striker signing would probably be difficult to pull off if we also make a marquee midfield signing, as well as what the summer plans are for Vieira and ESR. I think we can probably all agree we'd stand to benefit from a bump in quality over those two (as much as I hate to say it about ESR), but if you're having to leave a couple wanted roster spots unaddressed this summer due to budget I think there is a fine argument to make that you can leave the attacking 8 spot open and hope ESR and Vieira take a leap/provide you with enough to fill that role for another season.

KnoxvilleGooner

I wonder what the latest is with Ruben Neves - whether he still wants away from the desert and whether Al-Hilal are still willing to part with him. Loan with an option?
If you could get Neves on a loan with option to put the spend into the following year's budget I think it'd be a no brainer. Would provide a profile we really need and still save resources for other signings this summer. He'd be a great fit in that Xhaka role.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
If you could get Neves on a loan with option to put the spend into the following year's budget I think it'd be a no brainer. Would provide a profile we really need and still save resources for other signings this summer. He'd be a great fit in that Xhaka role.
More of a great fit in the Leverkusen Xhaka role. Could def see him as the Jorginho replacement if he leaves.

Arsenal Quotes

An Arsenal fan, when you finish fourth, will say, “Hey, we’ve been in the top four for twenty years. We want to win the league!”. They don’t care that Manchester City or Chelsea have spent 300 or 400 million euros. They just want to beat them.
But if you finish fifteenth two years running, they will be happy if you finish fourth after that.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom