• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bergkamp and reyes

efurze

If everyone's healthy, Henry-Bergkamp is still first choice. Reyes has yet to earn his spot.

No way would Dennis play in midfield. Too slow to play on the wings, not nearly defensive enough to play in the middle. If Reyes plays on the wing, however, they could get the same effect if DB drops deep (as he usually does) with Reyes rotating up in attack.

quattro

^that would mean that you'd have to relegate pires to another position. not gonna happen (especially if pires is healthy). reyes was brought in to be a striker. we can't afford to wait for bergie to get injured to start him. he just has to break in this season. its the only way to justify his record-breaking transfer fee. when we bought reyes we didn't buy a youth player like cesc or senderos who needs to be molded and brought through the ranks. we bought him to come into the team and play. the acclimitization period is over. like it or not he must break into the position he was bought for this season.

and he is going to be fantastic.

lewdikris

Established Member
Arsène's confirmed that Reyes and Van Persie will play on the left sometimes this season:

"Reyes played in the centre and wide because during the season that will happen," said Wenger.

"He's comfortable on the left - you can see he's played many times there.

"He wants to play central - every player does - because he gets the ball there.

"Van Persie is a bit the same - but you need players to play wide.

KingReyes

Established Member
I think regardless of where Reyes plays, he is going to be a success. You can how easily he adapts from one postion to another. As soon as he completely adapts to the physical side he will be fine.

calvinngai88

Gregwin04 said:
the thing is with bergkamp i dont think he can be used as a sub as well as some of the others he is not so much of an impact player he workes well when he has 90 minits to work out and distroy the defence of the opposition

Bergkamp may not be able to have the impact of destroying the opposition's defence, but his slick passes have the potential in creating chances of destruction. As long as those players who latch on to his passes and make good use, goals will just start bang in, provided the player has the skill to do it, e.g. Henry or Reyes.

DB10

its not just bergy and reyes, but the link up btw the mid and the front two.

playing bergy you'll also have the connection he has with freddie, and the runs he makes into the box.

but also playing reyes, he can link up with pires on the left.

obviously dennis and reyes are fighting for the starting place, but i think reyes will start most of the games away from home and dennis to rotate with RVP for the home games.

still having DB play for 60 mins and having Reyes come off the bench to rip into the tired backs sounds very good.

Taozhe

Bergkamp played in right midfield before and has done quite well with his good vision. Reyes's runs can make him a good replacement for freddie as well. If we can play Dennis and Henry as forwards and pires as LM and Reyes RM ... sounds like a good force ... I am not too sure but it might work.

Anyway, Wenger knows best :)

johe

We have so many players that can play on the left - Pires, v. Persie, Freddie, Reyes, and propably someone I have left out. The best thing about it is that every one of them are versatile and can play on the right as well - in theory at least.

Gregwin04

if we lost a few mids to injury i would like to see henry,reyes up front and bergs to slot in mid behind them? it would be good to c him slotting those passes through to them. not sure what his defence would be like though?

what about playing all 3 up fron with bergkamp playing off reyes and henry. we could then leave gilberto out of the center have vieira playing the center defencive cover and have freddi and pires rampaging down the wings.. or am i thinking too attacking..

plus it would be a brake in tradition for AW who likes playing the 442 formation

maby a good option in games where its not going so good tho

efurze

Gregwin04 said:
what about playing all 3 up fron with bergkamp playing off reyes and henry. we could then leave gilberto out of the center have vieira playing the center defencive cover and have freddi and pires rampaging down the wings.. or am i thinking too attacking..

maby a good option in games where its not going so good tho

Remember the last 15 minutes of the FA Cup semi against ManU? Bergy, Henry, Reyes and Kanu all in at the same time. That was fun to watch. (I just didn't understand why AW took Pires out - he's the most creative and the second scorer. If you're going for broke shouldn't he be in?)

Gregwin04

yeh i think so unless he aint fit. plus we were looking for the chams league at the time and the fa cup was not the priority

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
We do tend to play with four strikers at times when we are losing at times. I just can't put my finger on when it was, but I remember Henry Kanu Bergy and Wiltord playing at the same time once.

Gregwin04

yeh the chucking as many forward players on when we are loosing a game seems to be one of AW trade marks.

imagin a game where Henry Bergkamp, rayes, RVP, Pires and Freddie all in the same line up.. that would be fun to wach

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Now that would be da bomb. We can only afford to do that in Cup matches though, because the onus is on us to attack (as we have nothing to lose) and the other team will be happy to defend, whereas in a league match, we might get sucker punched and our goal difference will fall.

Gazza Martinez

Established Member
I remember it worked against Spuds at home last season, but we really came unstuck when we tried it against Man Utd in the cup semi. Probably because we had no midfielders to actually win the ball.

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Not really. It was mainly to do with our biggest inspiration being broken (Reyes) and Lehmann kicking out at Ronaldo, and all their players feigning injury to keep the game from flowing.

Arsenal Quotes

We live a society where everybody knows everything and it looks like it is a shame to say I don’t know

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom