• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bernd Leno: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Things like this happen especially when we allow cheap free kicks in dangerous positions. We really need to cut down on this.

Still it was a real howler and Leno will be the first man to admit that. He has been a rock for us this season. Good to see team mates and fans rally around him! COYG!

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
Tbf, he is registered for most errors leading to goals by GK's in the league with 7 since joining us.

Two things to consider when looking at that. First of all 5 of those errors were in his first season, which everyone has acknowledged he started very shaky. For comparison Alisson, who widely has been recognised as the best GK in the league was credited with 3 errors leading to goals last season.

Secondly, what constitutes an 'error' is very dubious imo. For example Leno's only other error he has been credited with this season is the first Sp**s goal, where he saves the initial shot but doesn't parry it wide and Eriksen scores from the rebound. If he let in the first shot it wouldn't have counted as a mistake.

West Ham's reserve GK Roberto has been credited with 2 errors leading to goals this season. I have seen highlights of their games where he has been responsible for 5 or 6 mistakes, including scoring an own goal, yet they didn't count it. If a GK lets a straightforward shot go in without getting much contact on it, it won't count as a mistake. If you however save a fierce shot but it stays close to the goal and someone scores the rebound it will count as a 'spill' and counts as a gk mistake for Opta stats.

Anyway crosses and high balls were Leno's weaknesses. Thought he improved on that but slight worry he still is capable of messing those up.

BenTal

Player:Zinchenko
He was more confident in long balls yesterday! I am so impressed by his performance.

andeoch1

Leno is a very good shot stopper and his reaction saves are super. however, he fails to command the box at all and that leads to problems. Our defense is not very big and he needs to forcefully meet more crosses and corners.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Kept us alive on multiple occasions. Great game from him. Between him and Mustafi for MotM for me.

CJJ

Established Member
Lovely shotstopper, awful distributor. I'd argue he has to take a some responsibility that last minute goal.
Complete and utter idiotic corner to give away. I was furious when it happened, and the fact they get a goal from a transition following that just puts fuel to the fire.

Has to ****ing improve his distribution.

Not surprised. A stuff like this has been waiting to happen for long time. His distribution and lack of confidence under pressure is so obvious. Just thankful he is not a surgeon.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I was underwhelmed when we signed him. I praised what he did well but let's not fall in to this trap again. We should be looking for a better number 1. I'm not being knee jerk. I just don't think he's top, top class. He's not authoritative and despite heroics, these mistakes are beginning to stick a bit. He'll be Buffon at the weekend but who cares?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom