Bernd Leno: 2019/20 Performances

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Aevi, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Jury

Jury Mission Accomplished

The rigid plan of playing it out from the back is a problem. However crap passes and stupid decisions made by players once they're in possession of the ball is 100% down to, and on, the player.

Flying Okapis and Makingtrax like this.
  2. Makingtrax

Makingtrax Policing Emery's English Skills

And we don’t always play it out from the back every time either, sometimes we go long. At least yesterday we did.

3. Jury

Jury Mission Accomplished

Aha... I only saw 60 minutes of the game, so if that's the case... Lee Dixon was banging on about it as if we'd been doing it all game. I rage quit when we conceded that stupid goal.

4. Flying Okapis

Flying Okapis Well-Known Member

The pass to Sokratis was fine, Sokratis wasn't exactly pressured, he tried to thread the eye of the needle and got it wrong.

5. razörist

razörist Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Goalkeeper is the one that can go “**** off, we’re going long.”

But can’t hold that against Leno. Just need players to think for themselves for once instead of blindly following the manager’s instructions.

6. Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility

Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility Not a Closet Spurs Fan

This is what the opponent is saying. I mean if you look at some of the clips and then you factor in the technical level of players like Sokratis, Xhaka, AMN, Guendouzi, Kolasinac, etc. every pass you play in and around your box is a risky one. Guendouzi got caught out twice playing out from the back. So even if I take into consideration that the players are dumb and lack game management, why didn't the coaching staff get the message out to stop taking risks because it's not working on the day? He had 53 minutes of reference to gauge the danger. And I don't think we hoofed it long even once before Watford's goal. The hoofing came as a reactionary measure after the goal.

Mrs Bergkamp likes this.
  7. Balboa

Balboa Active Member

Well if Sokratis isn't good on the ball, then how could he have "went to Xhaka" when under pressure in the box? What's the point of anyone (Emery or Leno, of asking Sokratis to do something he can't do?). All of the short options available to him had too much risk at that time.

Is Leno unable to make his own decisions about risk just because he's been asked to pass out?

Leno should not have put Sokratis in that situation. Luiz or the long ball would've been a better shout.

Mrs Bergkamp likes this.
  8. Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility

Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility Not a Closet Spurs Fan

Of course I'm not saying that the coach will send a player to the Gulag for hoofing it. What I'm saying is clearly there's a culture that has been developed that playing out from the back is the right way to do it and that being agricultural is a fall back in emergency situations, when it should never be that simple. These defenders, goalkeepers and midfielders are being led blindfolded into a slaughter by coaches who are either way in over their head, or think they are better than they really are, or both.
    I mean this clip is just damning. How can a coach think that this level of tactics is good enough in the premier league?

Mark Tobias and Maybe like this.
  9. Pepes blue pill

Pepes blue pill Well-Known Member

Good game tonight, did well not to take a step the wrong way for the free kick at the end, too many keepers do that now even tho thats the walls side

10. UpTheGunnerz

UpTheGunnerz Phallus Obsessed

Top, top keeper.

say yes likes this.
  11. PoleInGoal

PoleInGoal Well-Known Member

I think the Performances of Martinez will see Leno pushed to an even better Level this season. He didn't put a foot wrong yesterday in very tough conditions for keepers

say yes likes this.
  12. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Mr. Agreeable

Love this lad. Should be our captain.

13. Dutch D

Dutch D Well-Known Member

Had a few amazing reflexes yesterday to keep us in the game. One of the few top performers yesterday.

14. CJJ

CJJ Well-Known Member

Based on this year's performances i must say that his distribution is highly overrated. Pretty average.

Pepes blue pill likes this.
  15. TromsoGooner

TromsoGooner Well-Known Member

Anyone else think he`s been pretty good this season? Not the easiest job to be a GK in this team. Struggled on crosses last season but has looked more assured on that front this season. I might be forgetting something but can`t remember any big mistakes apart from that rebound aginst Sp**s before Eriksen scored.

16. Riou

Riou Well-Known Member

Was our best player last season for me, had his shaky moments but was the most consistent imo...one of the few players to actually be good this season too.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  17. RacingPhoton

RacingPhoton Well-Known Member

Genuinely surprised.

Riou likes this.
  18. Hleb's Sirush

Hleb's Sirush Well-Known Member

The only player in our team playing to his capabilities. It is no coincidence as the goalkeeper is the position least likely to be hamstrung by our woeful tactics.

19. BigPoppaPump

BigPoppaPump Laca Respect for Alexandre

That just means we’ve been getting peppered all season,

20. UpTheGunnerz

UpTheGunnerz Phallus Obsessed

Players that are playing actually good should get the cred for it. Leno have been good

Artisan and RacingPhoton like this.