<

Bernd Leno: Chosen One

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Marjorie, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Mo Britain

Mo Britain Doom Monger

Your point is valid but so is the idea that Wenger's principles on this occasion have cost us dearly. Smoking a couple of fags didn't stop Barthez from keeping goal for Yanited for years.

We put up with far worse behaviour from other players.

2. El Granit-Coq

El Granit-Coq Well-Known Member

Yeah it was a shame he left but thats all in the past. We have a great GK now and should just support him.

Also, what he did was on club grounds, inside. Like I don't know many people who even smoke cigs in their own houses let alone the showers.

3. Macho

Macho Well-Known Member Trusted

Was glad to see the back of Scezeny tbh don’t care what he does at Juve.

Way too much is made of claiming corners also, this forum just loves to cry. I’m happy Martinez got his move and the club profited - great outcome for me.

4. El Granit-Coq

Can't deny he had the potential though. Seemed like a proper wind up merchant as well :lol:

Leno seems the new Arsenal guy. Hopefully this season he shows again why he is so highly rated.

5. Macho

I have no doubt he will be fine, it’s just typical AM behaviour - they pick a corner and stay there for eternity ignoring sense.

Leno is goated.

El Granit-Coq likes this.
  6. razörist

razörist Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

You’re doing the same thing.

7. Macho

How? I wanted Martinez to stay and have them battle it out.

Its not happened and there’s nothing I can do about it, plus I know it’s important that Martinez is number 1 somewhere - he did 11 years of waiting. A bit naive and unrealistic for Arteta to ask him to do it for one more season in my opinion.

The way it panned out is one of the few situations for us where all parties won. Well, except Martinez enthusiasts.

8. El Granit-Coq

Who just happened to emerge after a purple patch :lol:
    Some actually rated him, but majority are just out here trying to be unsuccessful trolls.

Emi been here 11 years and barely a word from them...

Macho likes this.
  9. GDeep™

GDeep™ Dissociating

He’s crap in the air, that’s clear and obvious. You can’t say there is nothing wrong with Leno.

10. Macho

It’s way overblown - it’s not his strongest area but he’s not crap - he’s the modern keeper we need.

I think it’s wrong a lot of you pretend like Leno effects our results negatively - he’s one of the few strong areas in the team and a lot of you have hang ups over minor preferences.

I am adamant that there’s nothing wrong with him. You were sh*tting bricks when Leno did his knee in anyways, I don’t even know why you’re saying this.

drippin likes this.
  11. Jury

Jury Mission Accomplished

What's 'modern' about Leno, his haircut?

12. El Granit-Coq

Ball playing GK + Sweeper Keeper

Macho likes this.
  13. Let's play Aubamawang

Let's play Aubamawang Well-Known Member

I've always wanted Martinez to succeed because Wenger rated him, he was here so long and was fantastic at Reading.

Maybe some people think I am too hard on Leno, but being able to claim corners is clearly underrated by some on here. Look at how Gabriel stopped Antonio scoring after he jumped over Ceballos to claim the ball. It was a brave move, but he needs to communicate better so Ceballos can get out of the way next time. That way he doesn't nearly injure himself, drop the ball and almost concede a goal.

Mrs Bergkamp likes this.
  14. grange

grange Well-Known Member

Martinez is extremely overrated on here. It's similar to when Scz left us yet Chez was far more accomplished. We didn't miss him and we aren't going to miss Martinez either.

El Granit-Coq and Macho like this.
  15. Mo Britain

Mo Britain Doom Monger

I can't give a toss about fanboying any player. Martinez was anonymous for 11 years so why on earth would anyone want him to stay? Until he plays and has a "purple patch". Why on earth would anyone want him to go? Agendas, agendas, agendas.

El Granit-Coq and Macho like this.
  16. Riou

Riou Non-Stop Nostalgia

We did miss Scz, we had a WAY past it Cech and Opsina after we sold him and those 2 were pretty ****.

balthazar likes this.
  17. Mo Britain

Mo Britain Doom Monger

My main concern now is that Leno may not have adequate cover and as a result will be overplayed. Which is why I'd happily have given up the Martinez money and seen how things panned out this season before either selling Leno or letting Martinez leave on a free next season (or offering an improved contract to stay if he'd won the place). All over now

18. grange

grange Well-Known Member

What did we miss out on again? At least, we got some comedy out of Ospina injuring himself every 25 minutes by diving into the posts.

19. drippin

drippin Well-Known Member

Leno played over 2900 minutes for Leverkusen every season out of total 7, plus UCL & UEL games and most of cup games.

Bundesliga has only 18 teams so there is 34 games, and when you multiply that with 90 minutes it makes 3060 minutes.

He has been injured 15 games in his whole career, and 11 of those were for Arsenal last season.

The expectation should be that he can and will play very much.

Macho and El Granit-Coq like this.
  20. Jury

Jury Mission Accomplished

Hmmm... Do you prioritise being a “sweeper keeper” above being very safe from corners?