<

Bernd Leno: Chosen One

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Marjorie, Aug 18, 2020.

1. RacingPhoton

RacingPhoton Well-Known Member

Fab was worse. My memories are not fresh with Szczesny to comment on his skills. But Martinez was much better.

yousif_arsenal likes this.
  2. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter Rumours Moderator

I think Martinez height body strength make him much better. Leno seem know he don't have the good body strength to catch balls in air when players around him.

El Granit-Coq likes this.
  3. pigge

pigge Wishes Wrestling Fans Liked Him

Leno is unlucky that everyone bashing him now forgot that they praised him last season for saving us at least two figure points.

4. Riou

Riou Non-Stop Nostalgia

Elite passing from the back...never makes a mistake...like having Pirlo in goal...

NieThePiet and El Granit-Coq like this.
  5. RacingPhoton

RacingPhoton Well-Known Member

Yes. The question is why did we prefer Leno over Martinez.

6. blaze_of_glory

blaze_of_glory Moderator Moderator

Was a bit weak on the first goal, other than that very good. Great save off Mane in the fist half and was extremely fast off his line to force Jota to miss. No chance on the third goal at all.

Don't know why we keep forcing him to play tiki taka with the cbs though, not worth it imo. Let him make saves and adjust the breakout accordingly.

7. Troopz

Troopz Established Member

Leno getting bullied by VVD in the air whilst Emi was the one who was knocking.

[​IMG]

razörist and hydrofluoric acid like this.
  8. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter Rumours Moderator

Still that doesn't make Leno awful gk he saved our ass in too many games.

blaze_of_glory likes this.
  9. El Granit-Coq

El Granit-Coq Well-Known Member

No GK is perfect and its fair to point out flaws in someones game, going full attack mode makes no sense.

Like many have pointed out, Leno was one of our best players last season and has hardly put a foot wrong since joining. Those who watched or even seen some of his games for Leverkusen knew he had a mistake or two in him, like most GKs but also knew he was highly rated in most circles since a very young age. It wasn't purple patch analysis stuff but over a long period of good perfomances.

During the 15 games Emi played, he played well but not well above Lenos level. Sure, the only thing you can cling to is that he is commanding in crosses etc but not much else. His distribution is not better than Leno, his positioning in 1v1s is not better than Lenos... there is a lot he doesn't do better.

Using every opportunity to attack Leno because Emi, who most of you could care less about a season and a half ago, had a good 15 games is nonsensical.

10. pigge

pigge Wishes Wrestling Fans Liked Him

Why did we get the player who is the same age but have played 400+ games an proved to be a great goalkeeper and saved us alot of points last season over a guy that was good for 15 games?

This forum... really

Trilly likes this.
  11. El Granit-Coq

El Granit-Coq Well-Known Member

Fking love you :lol:

Riou likes this.
  12. Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility

Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility Not a Closet Spurs Fan

Yes I bet by asking "Are you sure?" to a coin toss made a hell of a difference. Let's not forget that he was sent the wrong way for every single penalty :lol:

13. Rex Banter

Rex Banter Got Swerved By Gallas Trusted

Are we gonna see this every time we concede a goal?

It’s probably hard to find a bigger Emi fan than me but people are making out like Leno is like latter day Cech ffs. Scandalous stuff.

14. Garrincha

Garrincha Wilf Zaha Aficionado Trusted

My boy Runarsson will have to end this civil war.

15. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Vinai Venkatesham Stan Trusted

The thing that annoys me is we had 0 of this last season, everyone but Hyrdo was more than happy with Leno in net. The we saw what another GK could do and off the back of that sold him for a solid 20M.

I understand people saying we should of kept him but can't stand the constant sh*tting on Leno for ever goal we concede now or any little thing he does wrong, no one will now praise him when he does well either. That's AM though I guess.

Rex Banter likes this.
  16. Troopz

Troopz Established Member

:lol:

I think I saw a stat on Reddit that said Leno has only saved 1 penalty out of his last 34 over the last 5 years.

Abysmal.

17. Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility

Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility Not a Closet Spurs Fan

Haven't checked the stats but don't think Emi is a whole lot better than that

18. Lakersgooner24

Lakersgooner24 Well-Known Member

I'm going to continue to support Emi, but hate that this forum is making me want to see him fail at times.

Leno being compared to Almunia?! Some of these guys must not have seen him in goal against Barca in '06. Literally cost us our first CL title.

19. Rex Banter

Rex Banter Got Swerved By Gallas Trusted

Saved 6 out of 18 penalties over his career I think I saw the other day excluding shoot outs.

20. Ashybashy86

Ashybashy86 Well-Known Member

He's saved us innumerous times, so I don't want to critises him too much. I just wish he was more commanding.