• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bernd Leno: Chosen One

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
Work, mate. Changed from freelancing into a steady job 4 weeks ago, shoots just keep on piling up and I haven't figured out a good balance yet. Been working about 100 hours last monday til today. Still reading on here, though. Just haven't found the time to post - and due to transfer time it's ****ing ****e on here anyway.

But I wrote this last week, I think, about the GK stuff in the trusted forums:

Guess it's Leno for me. He's been around for ages, used to be rated higher than Ter Stegen in youth teams, been a starter for top flight clubs since he's been 20 years old. He's entering his best GK years approaching 30, has massive experience and since his Arsenal transfer I think he's been on a rather positive trajectory.

Think Martinez is a good keeper, and I really liked his physical presence when he played and he seems pretty complete, but so is Leno. I think they're pretty similar in most aspects with Leno being a tad better in every aspect and with the still higher ceiling. Guess this Martinez is the best you can get, while the Leno who's now just slightly better than Emi still has room to grow. Also not sure about Martinez consistency for a big club - it's different playing for Arsenal or Reading week in week out and you need a bit of a different mental profile and I think Leno fits that better. Also think Martinez good performances during Leno's injury might be down to being hyper motivated to finally get a shot, but that might wean off once your No. 1.

Martinez might be compareable to Fabianski, who's a very decent keeper, too, but just not made for playing for a big club, controlling and organizing a progressive defense, etc etc, but rather someone who's main power comes from physical traits and being a good shotstopper and pushing yourself by being the "saviour" of a midtable/lower table leaky defense.

Damn bro, 100hours seems dreadful, hope you are keeping your mental health and physical health well as you go along!

Top post and echoes my sentiments on the GK situation. I remember you shedding some light on Leno when he joined with people questioning him constantly.

Comparing Fabianski and Martinez is quite fitting, great goal keepers who can have absolute worldies but never really meant to be the number 1 at a top club. Martinez has been a loyal player for the club and its actually amazing he has had the chance to be a starter elsewhere. He took his chance brilliantly but putting Leno down to elevate him has been grinding my gears since his purple patch started.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Top post and echoes my sentiments on the GK situation. I remember you shedding some light on Leno when he joined with people questioning him constantly.
Didn't help that Lehman who was around the club at the time, kinda buried Leno.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...esses-battle-between-petr-cech-and-bernd-leno

This wasn't even the quote I remember, so it must have been more than once. I remember Lehman on tv saying Bernd "wasn't ready" shortly after he arrived at the club.

On a side note, interesting how Emery had been trying to get these guys to play from the back from time ago. Arteta's execution way better but I am sure Leno helps with that unlike Cech.

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
Didn't help that Lehman who was around the club at the time, kinda buried Leno.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...esses-battle-between-petr-cech-and-bernd-leno

This wasn't even the quote I remember, so it must have been more than once. I remember Lehman on tv saying Bernd "wasn't ready" shortly after he arrived at the club.

On a side note, interesting how Emery had been trying to get these guys to play from the back from time ago. Arteta's execution way better but I am sure Leno helps with that unlike Cech.
Tbh most of what he said was already touched upon when he first joined.

We knew he was error prone and had to step up to play in the PL. Lehman didn't really say anything that someone who liked Leno before he joined us wasn't aware of.

If you look at the thread when he joined, I pointed out something similar and Toby who follows the Bundesliga a lot more added a lot of insight into what to expect in his first season.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I hope people can finally let go of Martinez. They tried to keep him, but Martinez deserved to get his chance at being clear #1 in EPL.

"on whether choosing Leno as his first choice and letting Emi leave has been the hardest decision of his managerial career so far...

Well, there's been many challenges since I joined the club! Obviously that one was tough but before that, as you can imagine, there were some conversations in the background about things developing in one way. So I knew what was going to happen with Emi. I had many discussions with him and I think we all finished in really good terms and we decided that Bernd was going to be the starter.

on what convinced him that Bernd was the long-term option...

I was very clear with both of them that it wasn't a #1 and a #2 and that they had to compete for the place like any other position in the team. To be fair, Bernd was superb before he got injured at Brighton and Emi was absolutely excellent with all of the games that he played and how much he helped us as well with winning the trophies. But at the end of the day, that created a big competition, some big expectations from both of them and we had to deal with that. We were really open, trying to have those discussions and at the end, Emi had a really good offer, really well-suited to what he wants to achieve long-term and short-term and we allowed him to leave the club."

https://www.arsenal.com/news/arteta-west-ham-willian-signings-transcript

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Work, mate. Changed from freelancing into a steady job 4 weeks ago, shoots just keep on piling up and I haven't figured out a good balance yet. Been working about 100 hours last monday til today. Still reading on here, though. Just haven't found the time to post - and due to transfer time it's ****ing ****e on here anyway.

But I wrote this last week, I think, about the GK stuff in the trusted forums:

Guess it's Leno for me. He's been around for ages, used to be rated higher than Ter Stegen in youth teams, been a starter for top flight clubs since he's been 20 years old. He's entering his best GK years approaching 30, has massive experience and since his Arsenal transfer I think he's been on a rather positive trajectory.

Think Martinez is a good keeper, and I really liked his physical presence when he played and he seems pretty complete, but so is Leno. I think they're pretty similar in most aspects with Leno being a tad better in every aspect and with the still higher ceiling. Guess this Martinez is the best you can get, while the Leno who's now just slightly better than Emi still has room to grow. Also not sure about Martinez consistency for a big club - it's different playing for Arsenal or Reading week in week out and you need a bit of a different mental profile and I think Leno fits that better. Also think Martinez good performances during Leno's injury might be down to being hyper motivated to finally get a shot, but that might wean off once your No. 1.

Martinez might be compareable to Fabianski, who's a very decent keeper, too, but just not made for playing for a big club, controlling and organizing a progressive defense, etc etc, but rather someone who's main power comes from physical traits and being a good shotstopper and pushing yourself by being the "saviour" of a midtable/lower table leaky defense.
Trusted forums?

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
tenor.gif

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I just have that bad feeling his nonsense from crosses is gonna cost us like the Chelsea game last season at some point at a crucial stage.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Yeah I’m sorry, you can feel his shakiness go through the defense. Wish we kept Emi. Nothing we can do about it now.

Pop Tart

Established Member
I thought he was shaky to tonight, been a great keeper so far but I hope we don't regret the EMI sale

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
His frame is too lightweight to deal with crosses, so he stays in his goal. This invites pressure.

Good shot stopper, but does not have physical presence of a goalie.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

He swept well and also got down really well to one of West Ham's chances probably stopping up from conceding.

But really needs to work on his dominance. The guy's 6'3 so he's not a midget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom