• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Best move the club made in recent years?

What was the best move?

• Not buying Lemar for 90M

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Selling Ox for 40M

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Rinsing Everton for Theo and Iwobi

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Binning Raul

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Not spending money on Ryan Fraser

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Instead of the do-over question we asked the other day let’s have a positive one.

What’s the opposite of that so one thing the club got right that you wouldn’t change?

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Rinsing Everton for Iwobi in particular.

I don't know what criminality Raul used to get £40m out of Everton but I loved it.

Would pick not buying Lemar, just on the cost but I honestly think Wenger would have suited Thomas much more than Simeone's style. Probably still far from a £90m player though so we did dodge a bullet there.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Selling Iwobi and Walcott is not very good decisions. Logical, but not very good.

very close between Lemar and Raul. Getting rid of Raul is probably better for us in the long run.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Rinsing Everton for Iwobi in particular.

I don't know what criminality Raul used to get £40m out of Everton but I loved it.

Would pick not buying Lemar, just on the cost but I honestly think Wenger would have suited Thomas much more than Simeone's style. Probably still far from a £90m player though so we did dodge a bullet there.

Tbf Lemar’s actually turned the corner this year for Atletico so who’s to tell.

Would have been a net expense of 30M right because the deal was contingent on selling Alexis?

I guess in that case it’s what would you rather? Lemar and 30M spent or Mkhitaryan on a free.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice

Would have been a net expense of 30M right because the deal was contingent on selling Alexis?

I guess in that case it’s what would you rather? Lemar and 30M spent or Mkhitaryan on a free.

Oh cool, I'm glad for him. I haven't seen much of Atletico this season so I wasn't aware of that.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Lemar deal was contingent on us getting the £60m from Man City for Sanchez.

Surely you have to go for Lemar and £30M over Mkhitaryan in those circumstances.

I think Wenger would have loved working with a player like Lemar.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Saka & Martinelli renewals for me.

Raul was mixed but he got stuff done and not all signings under him were bad (Leno, Tierney, got Gabriel and Partey started).

Plus I can't see how it's a good thing that he's gone when his lackey Edu still here who to me was equally as dodgy, nobody has made this make sense to me yet.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Definitely that criminal Raul. Even for the disastrous Pepe deal alone, but he was really reluctant to sack Emery and wanted to give him a new contract after Baku and bottling top 4. And for those not convinced on Arteta it was mainly him who decided on Arteta as opposed to trying to go for a serious experienced manager.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Out of the options...Lemar, man would that have been terrible!

Random choice...Malaga going into bankruptcy, allowing us to get Cazorla...Özil gets the acclaim for kickstarting our best period at The Emirates (deserves some tbf) but signing Santi the year before really put us in a good position...don't know if something that happened nearly 10 years ago counts as recent, but there you go :lol:

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Iwobi has been playing fairly well for Everton. At least he was when I've saw them play. He is only 24 so I think the move to Everton was a good one for us and him.

Of that list it's much of a muchness. Lemar arguably stands out as he has struggled, selling Ox given his injury record at Liverpool makes it feel like we dodged a bullet but we still haven't addressed the positive play he brought from Rwb/Rb.

Raul there is a lot of conjecture about what happened but as Macho says he got some good deals done and helped start other deals. Ryan Fraser is at a struggling Newcastle side, would he have done better here? Hard to say.

Based on everything it's probably Lemar but one not on the list that I think was a bigger dodge, especially since how it panned out, was not renewing Alexis in the same way we renewed Özil. The thought of them nearly nearly 3/4s of a million doing nothing brings vomit to my mouth. At least Lemar would have been a gamble on a young talented player that would have cost net 30m.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Out of the options...Lemar, man would that have been terrible!

Random choice...Malaga going into bankruptcy, allowing us to get Cazorla...Özil gets the acclaim for kickstarting our best period at The Emirates (deserves some tbf) but signing Santi the year before really put us in a good position...don't know if something that happened nearly 10 years ago counts as recent, but there you go :lol:

Yeah if I put Santi it’d be the obvious winner but it was almost a decade ago like you say :lol:

Iwobi has been playing fairly well for Everton. At least he was when I've saw them play. He is only 24 so I think the move to Everton was a good one for us and him.

Of that list it's much of a muchness. Lemar arguably stands out as he has struggled, selling Ox given his injury record at Liverpool makes it feel like we dodged a bullet but we still haven't addressed the positive play he brought from Rwb/Rb.

Raul there is a lot of conjecture about what happened but as Macho says he got some good deals done and helped start other deals. Ryan Fraser is at a struggling Newcastle side, would he have done better here? Hard to say.

Based on everything it's probably Lemar but one not on the list that I think was a bigger dodge, especially since how it panned out, was not renewing Alexis in the same way we renewed Özil. The thought of them nearly nearly 3/4s of a million doing nothing brings vomit to my mouth. At least Lemar would have been a gamble on a young talented player that would have cost net 30m.

I feel like we’d have renewed Alexis if we could have.

I’m sure the club tried a few times but he’s never renewed a contract at any of the clubs over his career so pretty sure he was itching to move.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member

Changed my vote based on this.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Monaco actually rejected our 92m offer. It's not like we declined to signed him.
So not signing him was actually not our decision

Last edited:

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Looking at the options again, maybe Ox is the best...he was a decent-ish player, but £40 million for him in his last year was great by us...plus Lemar seems to have turned it round, maybe Arsène would have got the best out of him...and if Thomas played well for us, the fee wouldn't have mattered really.

Kind of split on Raul...yes he was a dodgy ****, who almost certainly stole money...but he did sign/begin the process to sign some of our best players, hard to say...he looks like Danny Devito, so he gets a pass from me :lol:

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Iwobi till this day still has elite ball progression stats. 40M was a nice fee but it was good business at the time, Everton have just absolutely failed to utilise him. Think it's a huge insult to him having him in this list.

Raul was dodgy but effective. Pepe had huge potential but just shouldn't have been signed because he's in no way similar to Zaha. He brought us Tierney, Gabriel and did groundwork on Partey I believe? Guy did okay.

Ox was such a nothing player but again, his reputation made the free make sense. Surprised Liverpool's scouts didn't pick up on how he was only good at driving down the wing using athletic ability that was always at risk due to him being injury prone.

It has to be Lemar though. I remember desperately trying to convince myself that he was an elite player but I just couldn't see it. He's a cog in a title-winning team at absolute best and that bid was absolute desperation, it's like we just wanted to get involved in the Monaco fire-sale. Thank **** he turned us down.

I wanted to keep Iwobi and try him for few more years but it's hard to refuse a 40 M offer for him when you have Saka, ESR, and Nelson behind him, two of them that have become starters atm for us.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I'd go as far as to say, a few more years of Raul and we'd have signed a few more quality players you know (might have gotten a cheeky transfer ban too but those just allow you to develop youth then spend huge the next summer).

His transfer success rate isn't too bad if you compare it to most clubs.

Top Bottom