• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Birmingham vs Arsenal | EPL | Sat 27th March 3:00/15:00

yuvken

Established Member
wellington said:
Hey Anzac, I know you think that, and it's an interesting philosophical debate because if we're the only team adopting this approach there must be some thinking behind it. So what do you base your view on? Is it how we play? Or interviews from Wenger and/or players?
Oh Wellie... are you sure you want to do that? :D

ok then. Enjoy.

yuvken

Established Member
Burnwinter said:
The "interfering with play" exception to offside is a classic example of legislation that's easy to pass, hard to articulate and impossible to implement fairly on the ground.

Linesmen can't even get the basic offside law right and that's practically an absolute.
Which is why Asa's suggestion is good, you'd agree?

eye4goal

Established Member
We'll not win a trophy if we dont learn to see a game out. Almunia made a mistake, Arshavin and Nasri missed easy chances but the biggest disappointment for me was how naive we still are(West Ham 2-2 anyone?)

Cesc went for a killer pass instead of keeping possession, Nasri misses the chance and we win a corner. A corner in stoppage time and rather than keeping the ball, Arshavin tries an impossible dribble and we concede a free kick from which they launch it forward and score.

justinmitchell

Burnwinter said:
Benitez was clearly interfering with play - for f**k's sake the defender who should have been in Philips' face, think it was Sagna, had eyes only for Benitez who was making a striker's movement as the ball came in from the right of the area.

It's not as if he was off by the corner flag jogging gently back to his half.

You didn't see the clearance attempt off his shin that smacked phillips in the face? Benitez wasn't interfering.

Anzac

Established Member
wellington said:
Anzac said:
banduan said:
But that is the problem, our tactics require the presence of mind to make these decisions quickly, and if they can't do it, the instructions must change.
I don't think we have any tactical instructions other than our general style of playing. Any changes are primarily about shape and primary roles, rather than anything akin to a more specific game plan IMO.
Hey Anzac, I know you think that, and it's an interesting philosophical debate because if we're the only team adopting this approach there must be some thinking behind it. So what do you base your view on? Is it how we play? Or interviews from Wenger and/or players?

I've not read anything outright so it's based upon a combination of all of the above. I've posted my views about AW's style plenty of times & may have even made the same comment previously as you can tell by the reaction. :wink:

PM me if you want to talk more. 8))

Anzac

Established Member
yuvken said:
wellington said:
Oh Wellie... are you sure you want to do that? :D

ok then. Enjoy.

Lol - having flash backs to all our early PM sessions buddy?

Anzac

Established Member
eye4goal said:
We'll not win a trophy if we dont learn to see a game out. Almunia made a mistake, Arshavin and Nasri missed easy chances but the biggest disappointment for me was how naive we still are(West Ham 2-2 anyone?)

Cesc went for a killer pass instead of keeping possession, Nasri misses the chance and we win a corner. A corner in stoppage time and rather than keeping the ball, Arshavin tries an impossible dribble and we concede a free kick from which they launch it forward and score.

This. :roll:

justinmitchell

Anzac said:
eye4goal said:

This. :roll:
I agree.
Just agree more with the 'We aren't going to win a trophy while Almunia is in goal' opinion.

Bloody muppet. :bash

General

Established Member
A one goal lead in football is nothing as we've found out so many times and blaming Cesc for a killer pass that could've settled the game is just fault finding.

Where we continually fail is our inability to get men behind the ball and crowd out the opposition. It was similar to the goal we conceded against Standard Liege away (I think). We saw that long punt all the way yet somehow managed to look wide open after Diaby lost the header. To make matters worse, we give them a second opportunity to lob the ball back in. The whole thing was just chaotic. Same thing happened at Villa Park last season. Too many players slack off too quickly towards the end of games and Sagna is the only player who consistently maintains a solid tempo and concentration for 90mins. The boy is a real warrior. A defender's defender and we're lucky to have such a rare entity within our mix.

Anzac

Established Member
General said:
A one goal lead in football is nothing as we've found out so many times and blaming Cesc for a killer pass that could've settled the game is just fault finding.

Where we continually fail is our inability to get men behind the ball and crowd out the opposition. It was similar to the goal we conceded against Standard Liege away (I think). We saw that long punt all the way yet somehow managed to look wide open after Diaby lost the header. To make matters worse, we give them a second opportunity to lob the ball back in. The whole thing was just chaotic. Same thing happened at Villa Park last season. Too many players slack off too quickly towards the end of games and Sagna is the only player who consistently maintains a solid tempo and concentration for 90mins. The boy is a real warrior. A defender's defender and we're lucky to have such a rare entity within our mix.

It's not about blaming Cesc for trying the killer pass, moreso about our lack of tactical intelligence at that time of the game = it's about knowing WHEN to try stuff. Only once do I recall seeing a player on the ball head towards the corner flag to sit on possession this season. As for the defending of the free kick = yet again we were exposed to a lofted direct/long ball down the middle / set piece.

General

Established Member
I am not a big fan of watching players head to the corner flag in an effort to waste time. Contrary to popular belief, it can be counter productive and leave you open once you concede possession. Cesc made the right decision because we caught Birmingham on the break and had something like 3 on 3 if I remember correctly. No point doing a u-turn and heading for the corner flag, especially considering there was still a fair amount of playing time left. Smart ball retention if you can otherwise you try and double your lead.

wellington

My only point about this is that trying to identify a sigle instance, or a particular player to blame is a waste of time. In every game there are many mistakes made by each player. It's easy in hindsight to go back and point them out. Cesc looking for a through pass? Come on. If we'd scored we all would have hailed him.
Has anyone mentioned the near misses and mistakes Brum had? They should have been ahead earlier in the second half in all honesty.
Truth is, we played well only for 20 minutes in the second half. The whole team wasn't good enough.

Anzac

Established Member
General said:
I am not a big fan of watching players head to the corner flag in an effort to waste time. Contrary to popular belief, it can be counter productive and leave you open once you concede possession. Cesc made the right decision because we caught Birmingham on the break and had something like 3 on 3 if I remember correctly. No point doing a u-turn and heading for the corner flag, especially considering there was still a fair amount of playing time left. Smart ball retention if you can otherwise you try and double your lead.

Yup this. As I said I wasn't having a go about that particular instance, but about some of our decision making in general. You don't need to head for the corner flag most of the time - simply maintain your positional discipline & pass the ball around. Wasn't it last season we got given a lesson at Home by one of the mid-table teams in one of those 4 0-0 draws = they passed the ball aorund in the middle 3rd of the pitch for about 18-22 consecutive passes late in the game?

Burnwinter

Established Member
justinmitchell said:
Burnwinter said:
Benitez was clearly interfering with play - for f**k's sake the defender who should have been in Philips' face, think it was Sagna, had eyes only for Benitez who was making a striker's movement as the ball came in from the right of the area.

It's not as if he was off by the corner flag jogging gently back to his half.

You didn't see the clearance attempt off his shin that smacked phillips in the face? Benitez wasn't interfering.
As the ball came in.

Benitez was interfering because there was only one reason Sagna wasn't glued to Philips as the ball came in, which is that he's been tracking Benitez for the previous five seconds.

Every time I've heard the "interfering with play" rule discussed it's been precisely about that scenario where the offside player (who obviously doesn't receive or shoot) puts a defender or keeper in two minds.

eye4goal

Established Member
Yes Fulham it was I think? I wasnt blaming Cesc but it just shows the mindset of the team. We had a freekick at the 90th minute and Cesc chose to take a shot.

We were obviously creating chances and Birmingham was tiring but at some point (stoppage time?) you take what you have and you just play keep ball.

Top Bottom