• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

British Players with African Heritage

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Football players have the options to decide what's best for their career without affecting the rest of their lives when choosing which country they play for - a luxury which didn't exist in the past and which doesn't exist now for most people.

Way I see first choice should go to the country you are born, second choice for your country of residence (if that is different), after that any family relationships.

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

Way I see first choice should go to the country you are born, second choice for your country of residence (if that is different), after that any family relationships.

It's not always that simple. A person can be born in a certain place (Country A) but move to a different country (Country B) at a very early age with a different language, culture and environment. At age 25 he could have spent 24 years of his life in Country B. Naturally, they may identify themselves as a national of Country B over Country A.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
It's not always that simple. A person can be born in a certain place (Country A) but move to a different country (Country B) at a very early age with a different language, culture and environment. At age 25 he could have spent 24 years of his life in Country B. Naturally, they may identify themselves as a national of Country B over Country A.
Yes. But there should be a firm rule, perhaps taking into account the nationality of the player, but I don't like your being a national of one country and then representing another country.

If you make it by residence the big leagues will always win the majority of doubtful cases, whereas if you do it by birth that's more difficult to taper with. The player can always renounce the nationality of his bith if he prefers to play for another country.

What you say already happens, I recall hearing Lauren describe how he couldn't understand anyone when he frst played for Cameroon as he didn't even share a second language with the other guys.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Random thread. But I was watching part of Tariq Lamptey's interview and it got me thinking. He's playing really well for Brighton and looks a prospect.

Internationally he can play for Ghana or England. So far he's picked England, but I wonder if that's the right choice. He plays right back and any young player in that position will only ever be back up to Trent.

I wonder if a lot of these boys make the wrong choice. I'm sure someone will point out exceptions but these guys often seem to get just a handful of caps for England but could have had loads if they'd declared for their other nationality.

Tammy Abraham will never be England's starting striker but could have done bits for Nigeria. Tomori won't get more caps for England but can no longer play for Nigeria or Canada.

People like Auba and Iwobi are rare. And you see the French players picking their parents nation far more than the English ones.

I think of people like Saka and wonder if the Three Lions is really the right choice long term. What do you guys think? What other players would have benefited or would benefit from playing for their other nationality?

This isn’t just a thing in football and sport. It’s cultural. For many Africans and the diaspora at large, getting a British, American or French education and passport carries with it a lot of prestige and economic opportunity. There are a lot of East African long distance runners who represent random Nordic countries for similar reasons for example.

Globalisation has created new opportunities but it’s a shame when a lot of them leave without knowing the true history and wealth of their heritage and natural resources. They only know African history in context of slavery.

Kids in Saka’s generation and French millennials have been indirectly taught through cultural references that sub Saharan Africa is unsafe, impoverished and under developed so many have never set foot there.

They have direct family members who they will never meet because of fear of taking their wealth. It’s no wonder they feel no real attachment outside of their parents and the country they grew up.

All things considered, they have to do what’s right for them. The country one represents is a very personal decision and each player will also have some of their own specific reasons for doing so.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I've always thought making the decision of which country to represent must be really tough and pull at the heart strings of some of these lads.

For example if you're a highly rated kid of African heritage, you're probably already going to be ingrained within the English International system at a very young.

It must be really tough at the age of 19-20 to move out of that system and decide to represent another country, even if that's where your heart lies.

9jagooner

I admit it must be a tough decision for these players. I am with @Keplaz though in the sense that from a career point of view, these players have to think hard before deciding which Nation to choose. In the example of Tomori, he may/may not get a cap for England again yet players like Semi Ajayi, Ola Aina will probably go to next World Cup with Nigeria (if Nigeria qualifies). Alex Iwobi has already played 3 World Cup games, something that probably wouldn't have happened had he played for England.
Again, it's down to the player to decide. The part I don't like is the habit of some of these foreign teams to intentionally tie down an upcoming player at international level by giving them one or two games which then makes them ineligible to play for another country. England is very fond of doing this. This is unfair to the player and an area I thin FIFA needs to step in. Perhaps make it possible for players to switch (maximum of two countries) unless they have represented a country at an international tournament.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
We're actually gonna win the world cup soon.

Tammy needs to give up on that England dream and just become our no9 ffs.
Tammy played a competitive game for England so he can't switch now.

GDeep™

League is very weak

Hudson-Odoi switching to Ghana is a big one
Is it though? Bit of a nothing player who was never going to impact England considering he’s competing with Sancho, Foden, Greenwood, Saka etc for that Right side spot.

Bet Tammy wishes he didn’t pick England either.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Is it though? Bit of a nothing player who was never going to impact England considering he’s competing with Sancho, Foden, Greenwood, Saka etc for that Right side spot.

Bet Tammy wishes he didn’t pick England either.
It's big for Ghana, they recruited him pretty heavily. Other players like Nketiah and Welbeck (in the past) have turned similar advances down.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Good lad. I wish more of them would follow suit tbh.

Eddie’s another one. Ghana has been recruiting him hard but he doesn’t seem interested.

Southgate has form for picking a player when another country comes sniffing about and never using them again.

Did it to Tomori and a couple others.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Eddie’s another one. Ghana has been recruiting him hard but he doesn’t seem interested.

Southgate has form for picking a player when another country comes sniffing about and never using them again.

Did it to Tomori and a couple others.
Course - he used to be with the FA as head of development so I'd imagine it's regular business for him and the FA but he clearly has his favorites. I also think the African FAs don't do a very good job of protecting their national team players well enough and that will have an effect on recruitment.

That said, these players have to be smart. If they want international glory, then doing it with the country of their ethnic heritage would be such a landmark, especially for an African (or Caribbean) nation. Nigeria and Ghana both could have very good teams in particular.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
That said, these players have to be smart. If they want international glory, then doing it with the country of their ethnic heritage would be such a landmark, especially for an African (or Caribbean) nation. Nigeria and Ghana both could have very good teams in particular.
Jamaica are an interesting case, they just called up Michail Antonio and have some other targets:
Untitled.jpg

Top Bottom