<

Carabao Cup 4th Round: Liverpool v Arsenal | Wednesday October 30, 19:30 GMT | Sky Sports

Discussion in 'Match Day Archive' started by American_Gooner, Oct 27, 2019.

?

Who will go through to the 5th Round?

Poll closed Oct 30, 2019.
  1. Arsenal

27.9%
  2. Liverpool

72.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hleb's Sirush

Hleb's Sirush Well-Known Member

It is a given you need great defenders too. But without a coherent defensive setup individuals will always be woefully exposed.

I still find it hard to believe that the likes of Watford who haven't scored more than 1 goal a game all season, managed to score 2 against us and deserved to score easily 4 or 5. If that is caused by a lack of individual quality in our defenders, then they shouldn't even be playing the professional game at all.

iamdaguy and Trilly like this.
  2. Big Poppa

Big Poppa Well-Known Member Trusted

Exactly. We’ve been in the bottom 3 in the PL for individual errors leading to goals for about 3 years.

Both are a factor, but we keep signing defenders like Paulista, Vermaelen and Sokratis who have moments of quality but are absolute panic inducing nutters.

Vanfrothan and Makingtrax like this.
  3. Trilly

Trilly The John Sauce Of Ilford

When was the last time we won it or any trophy? We're not exactly playing football that leaves us with confidence that we'll win the Fa cup or Europa are we?

Steps likes this.
  4. Steps

Steps Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Trilly likes this.
  5. teamsoutheast

teamsoutheast Well-Known Member

What did everyone think of our pressing tonight? I thought we were excellent pressing from midfield. Our defenders were too timid though. Lacked agression and bite in the tackle.

zilfy and Big Poppa like this.
  6. Makingtrax

Makingtrax Arséne Wenger once said "I will miss you"

Put VVD in a worse defence and of course he won't look as good, trying to cover for the mistakes of others. That's a given. But he never makes stupid mistakes game after game, like ours do.

7. Makingtrax

Makingtrax Arséne Wenger once said "I will miss you"

Our defenders are not getting caught out through team positioning they're making careless and needless mistakes.

8. Steps

Steps Well-Known Member

You mean to tell me using a World Class midfielder and creative presence like Özil made our pressing more effective? :eek::eek:

9. Trilly

I believe we were all absolute c*nts in a previous life and this is our punishment.

What hurts the most is that I'm the first football fan in my family and I went and chose this club pretty much as our golden era finished. My first football memory is Rooney diving to end our 49 game unbeaten run and it's been pretty much grim stuff since.:lol:

10. Pepes blue pill

Pepes blue pill Well-Known Member

:lol::lol::lol::(:(:(

Elwood and Trilly like this.
  11. rich 1990

rich 1990 Men's Rights Activist

Or in some cases, this life.

12. Kav

Kav Well-Known Member

First off... what a game!

Today the team did us fans proud. I can respect that performance.

The defending was poor as usual but the commitment of the players was top notch. Even Mustafa made some good tackles. I loved the pressing and energy levels on display.

The youngsters made a statement today. Martinelli, Willock, Saka we're all exceptional.

I'm pleased with Torreira's performance.

Lastly, Paul, what a game. Makes you think what Emery was seeing all along to not want the artistry on display.

Downside- ceballos offered little after he came on.

Also will Mavropanos ever play for arsenal?

13. Trilly

There's definitely some merit to the logic that our defenders are having to twice as much defending as their top six equivalents due to poor team setup.

I actually don't think the David Luiz we have is any worse than the one Chelsea had last season, be's just had to defend a whole lot more. That stat about him conceding the same amount of pens in however many games says it all.

One rule in (team?) sport is that elite offence always beats elite defence. In football you have to limit the amount of defending that your backline has to do because at the end of the day even VVD can get sat down by a no name forward player if left exposed.

Ewarwoowar likes this.
  14. Riou

Riou Non-Stop Nostalgia

We are not winning the Premier league or Champions league...with how competitive the Europa and FA cup will be, I can't see us winning those, would be beyond shocked if we got in the top four and we aren't even playing amazing football anymore...kinda wanted a league cup win at this stage, as beggars can't be choosers :lol:

Mrs Bergkamp and Trilly like this.
  15. Riou

Riou Non-Stop Nostalgia

Haven't had a partnership as good as Sol-Kolo since and it shows, that got us an unbeaten league title and a Champions league final were we set a clean sheet record...Kos-Per was good though, couple of cheeky cups and constant top four...maybe Saliba can be our guy next year.

Mrs Bergkamp likes this.
  16. Mitch

Mitch Bellerin Upgrade Advocate

Senderos - Toure (with Eboue and Flamini as full backs) played the majority of that season that we broke CL defensive records at the time and got to the CL final. I think that might have been the only season we had Keown as defensive coach.

lamby22, ptrcopp, Tourbillion and 2 others like this.
  17. Red London

Red London Well-Known Member

Its just my opinion but I wouldn't bat an eye lid if we won this cup... it's just the way I see it.

FA cup I care about as thats a cup with a lot of history.

Trilly likes this.
  18. Riou

Riou Non-Stop Nostalgia

Meant having Sol and Kolo level defenders, that was a little confusing sorry...Toure was amazing generally for us, but 05-06 he was a damn monster in the Champions League run, was top class against all the top forwards he played that season...underrated leader too for me...helped having a top keeper in Lehmann, and a top DM in Gilberto too.

19. Hleb's Sirush

Hleb's Sirush Well-Known Member

Sometimes all you need is to have a few defenders who compliment each other well, set them up in a system which gets the best out of them (which includes your midfield limiting how often they are exposed) and your defence can be fairly good as a unit without having a single world class defender between them.

No one can convince me Senderos, Eboue and Flamini are better defenders than the ones we current have.

20. Riou

Riou Non-Stop Nostalgia

We had a much better attack and midfield which took the pressure of our defence back then...no one would attack us as much as today if we still had Henry, Fabregas, Pires, Ljungberg, Van Persie, Reyes, Hleb etc..plus Lehmann and Gilberto made a big difference to protecting/organising our defence.

Thought Eboue was a very good right back myself, and Toure was very close if not world class.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.