• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CC Final * Arsenal - Birmingham City * Sun 27 Feb 4:00pm-SS1

yuvken

Established Member
progman07 said:
outlaw_member said:
Come to think of it, Szczesny made two errors yesterday. He flapped at thin air for the Zigic goal.
Robin marked Zigic, after the header you can't do much if you are the keeper, it can go anywhere.

His mistake was, I felt, the penalty situation earlier, you just can't risk getting sent off AND conceding a penalty in the 3rd minute... luckily it was wrongly ruled offside.
Not the first time he reminds us of Jens...

mo50

Established Member
I think that was Szczesny's first costly mistake for us. He definitely deserves the benefit of the doubt, and I felt bad for him more than anything. Him and Koscielny must feel utter crap right now. Lets hope they sort themselves mentally.

Birmingham have been the catalysts of our downfalls 2 times over the past 3 years. Hopefully it wont occur again

Shue

Established Member
Djourou was initially marking Zigic and totally lost him, hence Robin trying to pick up the pieces.

General

Established Member
Y va marquer said:
Agreed that Kos should have lumped it out of the stadium but he didn't so Sczcesny should have dealt with it.

That's on the assumption that Kos would've made full contact with the ball. He may well have sliced it backwards into our net similar to the Diaby own goal at Old Trafford. As far as I'm aware Szczesny was 100% at fault for the goal. When the keeper calls for the ball you leave it (Lee Dixon has mentioned this last week and said it was standard practice under Graham). That's what they teach them in training. Szczesny naively took his eyes off it and created a disaster from nothing. I was in favour of booting Almunia out but only for an experienced and proven stopper. This and a few other episodes put into perspective why Wenger was right to send him out on loan and why his stint at Brentford should've not been passed off by some as proof that he deserves the number one spot. No doubt the kid is very talented but his naivety is going to come at a cost unfortunately.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Fabianski deserved every lump of **** thrown in his direction in the past, as he's ****ed us over more times in 2 games than Szczesny has since he's been in goal, with the most inexcusable of mistakes.

mistaT

Established Member
No Cesc = No Win.

Simple as that in my opinion. The team lacks all urgency and drive without him and its clear our midfield is yet to find any balance or form when he's absent.

Bar the last 5 or so minutes of the first half we didn't take it to Birmingham. A great team would have dictated the game's speed and style and not let Birmingham work their way into it. Clearly we didn't, and as such only helped Birmingham's belief and our own self doubts.

Not so sure about Rosicky in the starting XI, or Bendtner and Chamakh coming on but honestly what else could Arsène have done?

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
No, they just played crap and choked a little bit.

We've beaten better sides without Cesc and many others in the past.

"No Cesc = No Win" = Talksport-esque WUM topic IMO.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I missed the game because of sleep. I woke up and then realised the match was finished. Suddently my heart was pumping hard and I was feeling something bad was there. I then checked the result... f*** me.

I know the team lost Cesc before the match and Robin early in the game, but..... it's Birmingham!!!

Don't know if it's a blessing. This could be the first trophy afer a five seasons drough.

I read various snipets about lacklustre from Rosicky and Ashavin. Don't know what to say really. So this team without Cesc and Robin can't beat Birmingham in a final. Maybe the rest of the players should be on Birmy players' wages.

I can't get Wenger's thinking really. If in a hingsight, this to be the only trophy before his retirement, would he do everything, I mean everything, within or even beyond his power to win this game? Nah. He probably thinks Cesc will remain here until Stoijkovic succeeds him.

Time, Arsène. Time.

AshburtonGhost

There's no doubt that Wenger wanted to win it, he put out the best side he could. As I said elsewhere, it'd be interesting to know how the game was approached internally as too many of the players seemed completely winded by the occasion.

Freagle

I don't know why people keep making examples of the game at Wembley. Yes, we obviously lost and yes it does hurt. But stating that we can only function if we were a full team is a bit far-fetched in my opinion. Months ago I remember none had mentioned RVP coming to stake his place, everyone talked about Bendtner or Chamakh and we didn't even anticipate RVP let alone his form. Suddenly, he is regarded as a starter and without him we won't function? I mean, I know where you're coming from and I can sympathize as well, but in my opinion with or without RVP we still have a chance to win something. Mind me, I am not degrading RVP of anything, he is a special talent but to 'suddenly' regard him as a messiah when most of us around here barely mentioned his name is misleading.

People keep mentioning our flaws at Birmingham but I think we as fans have been sulking (justified as well) and forgot the real reason we lost the game. It wasn't because we poor mentally, tired, or no fabregas walcott and RVP but the real reason remains unheard of I believe. While these are beneficial and key factors to our team, I believe if we set a team of ponies we could still nick it. There was belief, there was hunger but the real reason is that the players were too nervous. Believe it or not, it is as simple as that. We instilled that into them. It was a cup final and we have been craving for any kind of cup for so long. Imagine what the players feel when they enter the pitch, how they react when we are one goal down etc. I feel people neglect that side of the game and that's where it matters really.

I also don't see why people are questioning Arsène. Completely inappropriate because as I mentioned before, Arsène reactions and attitude from the first whistle till the end proved to me that he cared, has ambition, wanted to win, tried as hard as he can. That alone made me shed to tears on how I tore him apart when I wanted Arsène to leave. It was a big mistake on my part and I apologize for every word I have thrown at him. Maybe it's just me, but I saw him smile before the match, standing next to our players and that was where it hit me the most. Can I imagine another manager in his place? It hit me like a swerving truck with a drunk bastard guiding it. It was that hard. When we scored he celebrated and I believed we can do it even though we were playing below par. But unfortunately, these things happen and it doesn't matter who made the mistake but it is a mistake learned (yet again) and it's time we move on fast.

Some people say that the season is over, everything gone and dusted. Really? Ask yourself this, if you worked for a company and there were four departments available that would substantially increase your salary but one of them rejected you, would you give up on the other three and let go? It's that daft and I for one can't believe Arsenal fans are even contemplating it.

The players have been hit hard, harder than we can imagine and it's up to us to lift them back up. Yes, we have been doing just that for years and years but we are in a crucial stage of the season, Arsène can't do it alone.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Shue said:
DaG said:
Johnson beat Kos on the first ball...
And Sagna gave the ball away needlessly initially. Team culpability tbh.
I think its abit of 50-50, not like Sagna gave the ball away but he and Wilshere both misread each other.

Spork

Established Member
--NOT SAFE FOR WORK--

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Topless-Birmingham-fan-flashes-breasts-and-goes-semi-nude-to-celebrate-Wembley-Carling-Cup-win-after-Arsenal-s-boob-article708741.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/To ... 08741.html</a>

How in the world is this on a news site?

I sort of laughed, but it's not even censored!

-vapour-

Spork said:
--NOT SAFE FOR WORK--

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Topless-Birmingham-fan-flashes-breasts-and-goes-semi-nude-to-celebrate-Wembley-Carling-Cup-win-after-Arsenal-s-boob-article708741.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/To ... 08741.html</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How in the world is this on a news site?

I sort of laughed, but it's not even censored!

I do hope your joking? Breasts on a tabloid newspaper... no surely not!

Y va marquer

Established Member
Wenger's assessment of the incident that led to the winning goal:

"I have spoken [to them], not too much,"
"More to Laurent Koscielny because he suffered more
"You have to be realistic, analyse in a realistic way what you did wrong. But, as well, Koscielny has been a great player for us since the start of the season so it’s important he keeps his confidence level well and that he gets encouragement.

"He takes everything on board and we do not want that his confidence drops because he made certainly a mistake, he is really angry about it. We have, as well, to show that we support him and that we believe he is a fantastic defender.

"Wojciech is alright, there was more a misunderstanding. Because in the last second, Koscielny didn’t follow through [with his clearance] because he thought he saw Wojciech coming out. Then he had a hesitation and that hesitation was fatal for us."

It would be a great pity if Kos were to dwell on that mistake to the extent that it ruins his confidence.
He was cruelly exposed at the most crucial of moments, it can't be easy to live with, but you would hope that he'll get his head right and be ready to face the games ahead without fear.

Top Bottom