• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Chris Smalling

scytheavatar

Established Member
Is Jones even better than Vermaelen? My feeling is that both are the same type of players, Moyes and Ferguson knows that Jones is too prone to defensive lapse to be a top class center back and that's why they are refusing to play him consistently there.

akhil

Jones just turned 22. Very early to judge a CB. He's another one that has played all over the pitch since he went to United. The CB situartion at United has been farcical this season, I don't think any CB pairing has started 3 games straight and they've rotated between 5 CB's. He's played CM and RB as well. He has a very reactionary style of defending, doesn't read the game at all well.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
I reckon Jones could step into the Flamini role and be an absolute boss. A dedicated anchor man.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I'd take Jones to do all the dirty work in that position and allow Ramsey to go forward. Also Jones is quite quick, which is the opposite of our current DM options, has a bit to learn but has done a job in that role several times for United in the CL tbh.

Back to Smalling.... he'd be a downgrade on Vermaelen in terms of back up if it is to be a straight replacement, as of this moment anyways.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Downgrade? Not sure about that. Would say they're around the same level, but you'd fix the awkwardness of having a captain that barely plays during his peak years and have extra cover for RB.

Granted Smalling isn't top class or anything, but at least he still has an upside.

Tir Na Nog

Maybe.....I think he still has bags of potential even if he has underwhelmed, that's for sure.

iced22

To put it nicely, I think Jones' game is too dynamic to keep him at CB. He's naturally aggressive and a fairly underrated ball carrier in midfield, thanks to his long strides and power. He could be a real threat making runs from midfield, or even full back. In harsher terms though, you could say he doesn't quite have the discipline needed to play at the back.

Smalling has potential (I honestly think he has the highest upside of United's CBs right now), but he's had a lot of injuries. If we're talking about a young backup with potential then Smalling is fine, but Smalling alone can't replace Vermaelen if he leaves.

Tir Na Nog

I know this is one of the most unlikely scenarios but what about both Smalling and Jones coming in with Vermaelen leaving? At least then Smalling is an option at both CB and RB while Jones is an option at DM, RB and to a lesser extent hopefully at CB too.

Iceman10

Established Member
Theoretically it would make sense but with Vidic's and Ferdinand's contracts expiring, the former confirmed out already, the latter not, but well past his prime anyway, I can't see United shipping out Smalling and Jones in one transfer window (and bringing in replacements for both), there's plenty for them to do this summer before going that far. Jones is much more useful as the utility player, and therefore more indispensable in a way, and hence if either of them transfers out this summer, it would be Smalling.

Mobb Starr

Can't believe people are actually defending Jones and Smalling as quality players who could come to Arsenal. Let's not forget Fergie bought in both players to replace the solid defensive backline of Vidic and Ferdinand. They have had over two years to adjust to playing for Man U and they have failed to make their mark in the team. They should be the main CB pairing and even Jonny Evans is keeping them out of that position. Smalling is no better than Micah or Glenn Johnson at RB, let alone a Sagna replacement. Jones has never put in a MotM performance at either CB or in midfield for Utd.

Stop defending the indefensible. No way are they good enough for us, they contributed to Utd falling from top spot last year to 7th this year and their manager getting the sack. Moyes couldn't get them to function and his record of developing young players compares very well with Wenger. If he couldn't do it, why would Wenger do any better when he has no record of developing any young CB's of note for Arsenal. There are much better choices out there other than those chumps.

US_Gooner

Established Member
Mobb Starr said:
Can't believe people are actually defending Jones and Smalling as quality players who could come to Arsenal.
[...]
There are much better choices out there other than those chumps.
Voice of reason.

say yes

forum master baiter
Mobb Starr said:
Can't believe people are actually defending Jones and Smalling as quality players who could come to Arsenal. Let's not forget Fergie bought in both players to replace the solid defensive backline of Vidic and Ferdinand. They have had over two years to adjust to playing for Man U and they have failed to make their mark in the team. They should be the main CB pairing and even Jonny Evans is keeping them out of that position. Smalling is no better than Micah or Glenn Johnson at RB, let alone a Sagna replacement. Jones has never put in a MotM performance at either CB or in midfield for Utd.

Stop defending the indefensible. No way are they good enough for us, they contributed to Utd falling from top spot last year to 7th this year and their manager getting the sack. Moyes couldn't get them to function and his record of developing young players compares very well with Wenger. If he couldn't do it, why would Wenger do any better when he has no record of developing any young CB's of note for Arsenal. There are much better choices out there other than those chumps.

Voice of reason :lol:

Inthe blood

Established Member
Would take Smalling as cover for CB/RB, also believe he would be an upgrade on Verms. Currently their best CB not that it counts for much.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Adding Chris Smalling into the mix at current Arsenal is absolute defensive ****!

I don't care how well he may have progressed at Roma but we are a club who at this moment would turn prime Maldini into Malstafi..

Top Bottom