• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Barcelona vs Arsenal | 17/05/06

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iniesta

Sol man said:
As much as I like barca I believe that this sort of lack of respect shown by Belleti is what makes a team like barca hated. Click Here(not sure if it has been posted). What an absolute ****!
If he said that, which i don't belief, that very harsh of him.
but still i don't believe he said something like, as their seemed to be no offer from Barcelona...but you never know of course...

If he said that it would be a disgrace for my team. it just would be.

Tegh

Established Member
Quality post Iniesta.
I only just noticed that you dont have a shirt sponsor..lol
That's quite remarkable.

Arsenal_FAN1983

Beletti and Barcelona are just frustrated that they didn't get Henry, so Beletti comes out with this ****. Inside, Barcelona are hurting being turned down by the best player in the world. :lol:

They may have won the european cup with their luck against us, but they don't have the most important prize of all and that is Thierry Henry. The CL trophy will always be there, but how can anyone replace an asset like Thierry Henry? No one can!

Beany

ITK
Trusted ⭐

Hi man

Sure did - bit steamy on the Metro though. The platform at Gare de nord looked more like a field hospital than a station the following morning, gooners lying all over the place.

The guy behind the desk at my hotel was inconsoleable as a supporter of "super club Real Madrid"!

Still, a great experience in and outside the ground. Shame about the result but I have the feeling we're going to be up for it next year.

We were right about Henry, at least!

Did you get up to any mischief after the game?

Iniesta

Beany said:
Don't Barca carry a small sponsorship crest on their sleeve, for a tv company?
yes they do. it has been there for about 2 years now. And it has caused already a lot of trouble. It is still very small.
It stands for TV3: A Catalan television station... (see how it could? It's Catalan. actually the station has helped the Catalans to in the civil war, with spreading some news and stuff)

Beany

ITK
Trusted ⭐

That's interesting.

I guess as long as Barca is able to support itself financially through its (huge) membership, then why advertise. I guess the choice of such a sponsor would be a major issue in itself.

It's always good to stand up for principles and heritage in sport. You may know that Arsenal have a reputation for the old school approach, here in the UK. Say refusing to play after the Hillsborough disaster and symbolically taking the pitch with flowers against Liverpool in our last and decisive game that season. There are many other examples.

However and in some respects Arsenal, given it's size and limited fan base has had to move with the times, changing the crest (to protect it's commercial interests) and moving to our new stadium, which I hope barca will get to visit next season!

Ultimately, Arsenal have taken stick over the years for their reputation as the "Bank of England" club. Plenty of other fans view our club with suspicion and think we hold undue influence over the British game. Certain elements at Man Utd, Sp**s and more recently Chelsea have been happy to use that as a stick to beat us, see for example the recent debacle over our qualification for next year's Champions League and Walcott's call up for the World Cup.

I guess it's the same with Barca, and their can be a tendancy for fans to adopt a siege mentality which can suggest a lack of respect for other teams, such as last weeks game where according to some Barca Forums and local papers, it was a foregone conclusion (which i think you will agree was a mistake) or Henry situation, where he was a dead cert to futher his career at a "proper" club, now somehow Barca don't want or need him and it's his loss to stay.

Anyway, I'm all for clubs like Barca, Arsenal, Liverpool, with real histories made on the pitch and in the streets, not in some Billionaires pocket.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
Iniesta - is it true you'll have Kelloggs on your shirts next year?

Beany - had a nightmare phone wise but me, my bro, Dom and a couple of others finally managed to catch up near GDN. After (quite) a few beers we all ended up in Dom's hotel room opposite a sex shop mullering the mini-bar and chanting 'we can see you sneaking out' at everyone that left it.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
By the way guys - with the amount of times our players have been misquoted (or had quotes completely made up) maybe we should cut Belletti some slack.

To be honest it doesn't ring true and I think he maybe said something about our players being tired near the end and how Henry could have advanced his career at Barca (which a Barca player should say) and some scummy journo has made a twisted splash out of it.

Beany

ITK
Trusted ⭐

Exiled In Newcastle said:
Iniesta - is it true you'll have Kelloggs on your shirts next year?

Beany - had a nightmare phone wise but me, my bro, Dom and a couple of others finally managed to catch up near GDN. After (quite) a few beers we all ended up in Dom's hotel room opposite a sex shop mullering the mini-bar and chanting 'we can see you sneaking out' at everyone that left it.

lol

Was RockyRocastle one of the sex cases?

Just wondered, having read his "from the stands" thread!

:shock:

Say hi to the others - we can meet up again in Athens if not before!

:D

Iniesta

nope no Kellog's next year.
so glad.
Nike is our shirtsponsor, not really we can do somehing about that. we need soms shirts, you know.

Next year, if the comes a print on our shirts, it has been suggested by our board to put support some charity project (like the way we support UN now) like Unicef or something, but no commercial prints for next year. At least that said the board.
There have been long contacts for a commercial for the Olympic games in china, but conversations broke down.

Captain

Established Member
Iniesta said:
Nike is our shirtsponsor, not really we can do somehing about that. we need soms shirts, you know.

That is true, but nike don't just provide you with kit. They give you a load of money for the privilege- pretty much just like any other sponsor.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
We're talking about shirt front sponsors here Captain and not manufacturer labels.

Personally i think the stand Barca have made against shirt front advertising is great - and (although I can't guarantee it still happens - Iniesta?) all shirts in kids sizes had no advertising at all, not even the manufacturers.

We were the last major club in England to succumb to shirt sponsorship and it was a shame we had to.

Iniesta

Captain said:
Iniesta said:

That is true, but nike don't just provide you with kit. They give you a load of money for the privilege- pretty much just like any other sponsor.
that's the way it goes in football world...

Iniesta

Beany said:
That's interesting.

I guess as long as Barca is able to support itself financially through its (huge) membership, then why advertise. I guess the choice of such a sponsor would be a major issue in itself.

It's always good to stand up for principles and heritage in sport. You may know that Arsenal have a reputation for the old school approach, here in the UK. Say refusing to play after the Hillsborough disaster and symbolically taking the pitch with flowers against Liverpool in our last and decisive game that season. There are many other examples.

However and in some respects Arsenal, given it's size and limited fan base has had to move with the times, changing the crest (to protect it's commercial interests) and moving to our new stadium, which I hope barca will get to visit next season!

Ultimately, Arsenal have taken stick over the years for their reputation as the "Bank of England" club. Plenty of other fans view our club with suspicion and think we hold undue influence over the British game. Certain elements at Man Utd, Sp**s and more recently Chelsea have been happy to use that as a stick to beat us, see for example the recent debacle over our qualification for next year's Champions League and Walcott's call up for the World Cup.

I guess it's the same with Barca, and their can be a tendancy for fans to adopt a siege mentality which can suggest a lack of respect for other teams, such as last weeks game where according to some Barca Forums and local papers, it was a foregone conclusion (which i think you will agree was a mistake) or Henry situation, where he was a dead cert to futher his career at a "proper" club, now somehow Barca don't want or need him and it's his loss to stay.

Anyway, I'm all for clubs like Barca, Arsenal, Liverpool, with real histories made on the pitch and in the streets, not in some Billionaires pocket.

May i say that not all fan were convined of the necessity of landing Henry. First of all he's a great player and most clubs would love to buy him.
But if you look from a Barcelona point of view: we play the 4-3-3 which means 3 strikers. And I think we've got 2 of the best in the world. (Ronaldinho and Et'o). Our third one is considered to become even better than Ronaldinho (as he said it himself): Messi. Now, if we would have gotten (correct?) Henry, who would be on the bench??
Of course Henry would strengthen our squad, but in attack, we're strong, very strong! There other departements which can use some strengthing.
Second: the comments said by Wenger and Henry have been taken very, very hostile in Barcelona. The comments aren't accepted anywere in Barelona nor with it's fans. On this forum, i haven't said a word about it, but i think that wil be a black page in Henry career.

about the kids shirts... that's not something i know, but i could be...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom