• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Barcelona vs Arsenal | 17/05/06

Status
Not open for further replies.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
I'm not that worried by tonight's performance, but I would be worried if we would use the same tactics for the final (which I don't expect).

dublingunner

Established Member
leonardo santiago said:
I'm not that worried by tonight's performance, but I would be worried if we would use the same tactics for the final (which I don't expect).

We won't use the same tactics though, simply because we have no lead to protect.

mariaines

leonardo santiago said:
totally different opponents: Milan play a more defensive 4-4-2 percentage game and lack width. Barcelona play attacking 4-3-3 with lots of width. So can't say anything about tactics for the final yet. But I would prefer FC Barcelona, because they are easier to play against.

how can we be an easier side to beat if we beated milan in san siro? :roll:
i think you're misunderstanding something about our formation. Yes it is 4-3-3 but we had it too with van gaal and it was a total disaster because he never had backups when the whole team was attacking. So we ended up drawing 3-3, winning 3-2 or losing 0-3, 2-4 etc etc..
This year i've been surprised by the ability of the team to get fully concentrated, totally isolated from the exterior (press), i.e, having a job well done, no matter if it's chelsea, madrid or cadiz.
We know how to play italian style sometimes and cool down a game; we didn't know that last season.
That's our main characteristic right now. Dinho can be doing his own show on the pitch but if he loses the ball there's always someone ready to take it back.
The only time we looked poor this season was at the beggining of the season (don't know why really) and when we had no henke, eto'o, dinho & messi in february.
On the other hand, i'm really concerned about our right and left backs. Oleguer is fine, not brilliant but fine, but the other side.. i just don't know :? and since you won't have a choice to attack by the middle (no choice of passing xavi/iniesta, van bommel, deco, edmilson and marquez) you'll try more from the wings.. which scares me terribly..
anyway, we have at least 3 weeks to discuss this (or none, depends) and i've got to go home to see today's match.
needless to say that if we blew it tomorrow i'd kill myself :?
so Barça, at least one life is in your hands.. :D

Deloren

So far Lehman has been FANTASTIC. But since the last Juve game somehow a big portion of the team has gone bonkers.. our fab four for a defence suddenly seem weak. mid fielders kept losing the ball and even the Miracle (henry) suddenly seem to run out of steam ... I realllly hope they find themselves in the coming week otherwise even vs Milan we are gonna get trashed not to mention Barca ...

clockwork orange

kel varnsen said:
the thing is, will the fear of losing be greater than the desire to win.
that shouldn't be the case. Milan's defenders don't like to be put under pressure - as their match v PSV & Lyon showed, so the best way to beat them is make sure they can't play the easy pass to midifeld. So best tactics against Milan is 4-4-2 and don't walk backwards, but put them under pressure and force them in making mistakes. Playing against 4-5-1 is what they like they'll cautiously attack and Inzaghi us.

FC Barcelona play 4-3-3, like Holland does. Holland were slaughtered by Italy's 4-4-2. Wenger should watch that video: it shows how to beat 4-3-3.

kel varnsen

Established Member
maybe it's just me, but i think the home game against wigan could become a real confidence boost ahead of the final. the last game at highbury and we've usually played fairly well at home this year. a good performance might boost our confidence going into the final...

mariaines

as i've said before, it's not about 4-3-3, 4-2-2, 4-5-1.. it's about how the coach uses his players... and talent and individuality always count, specially in a game like a CL final.

ps: when was that when italy beated holland??

famous no 10

Established Member
kel varnsen said:
will be a tough game no matter what. i am a bit worried after tonight's, and the last few weeks', performances though. we haven't really played well since the home game against juve.

wenger must convince the players to go out there and play like they can. we were terrible today and got way too catious. i fear that the same thing might happen in the final. we need to go out there and forget that it is the champions league final and just give it our best shot. play our own football and not be afraid to go forward and create chances.

because if we don't, barca will f****g hammer us...

yup, agreed.

I think and hope that we will play more freely and start putting our runs and passes together, as we don't have to worry about huge tactical chess games etc...on a good night we can beat anyone.

kel varnsen

Established Member
leonardo santiago said:
kel varnsen said:
the thing is, will the fear of losing be greater than the desire to win.
that shouldn't be the case. Milan's defenders don't like to be put under pressure - as their match v PSV & Lyon showed, so the best way to beat them is make sure they can't play the easy pass to midifeld. So best tactics against Milan is 4-4-2 and don't walk backwards, but put them under pressure and force them in making mistakes. Playing against 4-5-1 is what they like they'll cautiously attack and Inzaghi us.

FC Barcelona play 4-3-3, like Holland does. Holland were slaughtered by Italy's 4-4-2. Wenger should watch that video: it shows how to beat 4-3-3.

well, i'm not really talking about tactics, but rather the mentallity and attitude of the players. it doesn't matter what wenger wants the team to do, if the players don't respond to it. imo, tonight's poor performance wasn't due to poor tactics or fatigue. we got too catious. worried about conceding a goal and were afraid to go forward or even string a few passes together.

dublingunner

Established Member
I don't think form will be a factor coming into the final. It's a complete one-off game, even if we lose our 3 remaining league matches (I don't actually think for a minute this'll happen), I still think there's every chance we'll play the match of our lives in Paris. Think about our 1st leg match against Real Madrid. Our form was woeful going into that but it ended up having no bearing on our performance there.

kel varnsen

Established Member
i disagree. i seriously doubt wenger wanted the team to start pressing villareal just 35-40 yards away from our own goal...

Emile Heskey's Bitch

Maximus said:
ive predicted the last 3 champions league games correct...scorelines aswell...very weird..hmmm
ive been having dream about all the games, ~ a day before we play them...ill let you guys know closer to the time:D

bulls**t, you predicted liverpool - ac milan 3 - 3?

clockwork orange

kel varnsen said:
i disagree. i seriously doubt wenger wanted the team to start pressing villareal just 35-40 yards away from our own goal...
he kind of asked for that when he started with 4-5-1 and if they really wanted to press higher up the pitch they would have done so.

nazo

Established Member
2-0 For us. For anyone we play (We will play Barca, i'm sure of it)

Pires and Ljungberg to score the goals.
Mark my words.

:p

Mark

Established Member
leonardo santiago said:
Maxx said:
good thing is toure didn't get booked.
yep lots of respect for Kolo: difficult to play such a big match for a defender knowing you shouldn't get a yellow...

Totally forgot about that. I'm so glad he didn't get booked. He is a player who really deserves to be in that final.

clockwork orange

Mark said:
leonardo santiago said:
Maxx said:
good thing is toure didn't get booked.
yep lots of respect for Kolo: difficult to play such a big match for a defender knowing you shouldn't get a yellow...

Totally forgot about that. I'm so glad he didn't get booked. He is a player who really deserves to be in that final.
One of my mates reminded me just before kick off Kolo was on a yellow, I was worried all match when a ball was near him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom