• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Celta Vigo vs Arsenal | 24/02/04

Mark

Established Member
I don't think we should rule out Edu as a possible option on the left occasionally if we need to rest Pires. He played quite well there against Leeds in the cup, Gilberto has also done pretty good on the right, although they are both better in the centre, I think we can have both of them together sometimes.

juz7_pi12es

" Wenger declared: "It was a great goal. At first it looked as though he was trying to find a team-mate but he had no option other than taking aim with his right foot! "

Clap Clap

lewdikris

Established Member
Jesus, some of you people don't know when you're ahead you really don't.

Arsenal played badly tonight, we still won.

For all those saying that Vigo are **** - they're not. You don't finish fourth in La Liga by being ****.

The defensive problems tonight were extremely uncharacteristic, and are not something to worry about greatly. They're easily resolved.

Henry and Pires are going through a quiet phase - but still conjured up an absolute gem of a goal. So where's the complaint there.

Both Clichy and Reyes were playing their first Champions League games EVER. They both did ok. And that's good enough for a competition debut.

Did we miss Gilberto? I'd rather have had him out there than Freddie, let's put it that way, who was patently unfit, and so would Wenger. It might or might not have made a difference, but that's academic now. Whatever, i don't think their Edu would have got as much joy on the left flank in the first half if Silva was playing - and given that their first goal came from an unnecessary freekick given away out there, maybe that's the only answer worth giving.

Does this 'mean' anything signifiicant?

Quality of performance at this stage of the season become irrelevant - get the result, move on. Madrid were abysmal tonight - they got a draw in Munich. Milan did nothing, and got a draw in Prague. We played just as messily, but won.

That puts us in a good position.

Onto the next match.

Some of you need to wake up.

AdamT

actually i thought we played pretty well, just not on the c rosses, lacking a bit of spark upfront, but i never felt celta were about to take the game by the throat.its an away game in spain, jesus!

away games in the CL, you play not to lose and if you do get a win it's a great result.

Jinn

Established Member
A bit of a scare for us, but a good return to Champions League football. Celta Vigo played above themselves today, but our cause wasn't helped by some lacklustre defending. After this performance, it was good to come away with a win - that should help us make strides towards the quarterfinals.

I would have preferred that we had won with a bigger margin, but any win I'll take, especially at this point in the comp. The important thing is that we have away goals in hand. And as Lewd says, this was a first-time Champions League game for Clichy and Reyes, and both didn't look out of their depth.

We'll have a much stronger team in the next game - and at Highbury, I think we'll wrap the points up.

Don't worry too much, in previous seasons we've played much better and gotten nothing for it. This season, we've been able to grind out results when we're not at our best. Criticism from the media also helps to galvanise the players to play better.

Mark

Established Member
Spinksy said:
Let's assume we make it through - we'd want Chelsea in the quarters surely!! :)

LOL if we play them again, Ranieri will probably quit before they can fire him for being knocked out of another competition by us! :lol:

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
i previously posted this, but it is more relevant now....

the odds of one team beating another 5 times in one season are VERY low. TBH, i would NOT want to face Chelski in the next round.... of course, with any luck, Stuttgart will knock them out

Gazza Martinez

Established Member
I thought Reyes played one of his better games in this match. He seems to be linking better with Pires and Henry. His first half was average, but he played well in the second, had good movement, and he gave a Bergkamp style pass which Henry tucked away, but he was just offside. Almost scored a couple.

I found out that, although they have the worst home record in La Liga, Celta Vigo haven't lost a match at home in European competition for 22 matches.

But Arsenal just put an end to that :D

A

Anonymous

where were you lot all watching it ?? was it on internet radio or what ?

Asterix

Established Member
Those of us in Australia were watching it on SBS - check out the highlights on World Sports tonight at 7

gunnertilldeath

Established Member
Trust me. we will NOT see such vulnerability from wing play and set pieces in the next game. Arsène will work on this very well. it was an off day for the defense, nothing more. arsenal are looking like the bayern side that won this trophy a few years ago. not pretty but highly effective, with the ability to rise to any challenge. three goals away from home in europe with half the team asleep is no easy task. while i was worried by the defensive frailties shown today, things will get better. i can assure you guys that much.

Soler

Established Member
I was happy at 2-2 and would've settled for a draw. Don't forget because of away goals we're actually 6-2 up. They've gotta win 3-0 to knock us out now.

Asterix

Established Member
Actually, 2-0 will get them through. Away goals count double only if the aggregate score is the same. So if it finishes 2-1 to them at Highbury we go through because we have scored more away goals.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom