• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Last 16 - Arsenal v Barcelona - 14/12/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Looking at some Barcelona's forums it's rather surprising that they're not exactly over flowing with confidence. Seem to be vary of our pace and performances when we're underdogs.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Looking at some Barcelona's forums it's rather surprising that they're not exactly over flowing with confidence. Seem to be vary of our pace and performances when we're underdogs.
we're the only team apart from the very big clubs to ever threaten them.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
I dont know what the best solution might be, hitting them on the break? sit deep? I suppose thats not the best decision because you allow a lot of pressure and with MSN upfront you want them as far as possible from your goal.

Gooner n Proud

a.k.a. nasri_8 and Voice of Flamini
I dont know what the best solution might be, hitting them on the break? sit deep? I suppose thats not the best decision because you allow a lot of pressure and with MSN upfront you want them as far as possible from your goal.

Exactly I really dont like the tactic of sitting back and playing on the break against this type of opposition as we're just inviting waves of pressure on ourselves. I want us to approach this similarly to how we started against Bayern at home in 2014 when Özil missed the penalty and Chesney got sent off which eradicated our momentum but the first 20-25 minutes of that match Bayern hardly touched the ball, Wilshere was outstanding.

It's the CL, no one is ever a clear favourite.

And there's good reason to fear you guys when you're the underdogs, look at your performance against Bayern.

CJJ

Established Member
If we sit deep and wait the entire game we will loose.

We have to be confident enough to press them high when the opportunity arises, no team is so good they cannot come under pressure. We should try to control the pace of the game, not Barca. (Easier said than done, but i believe thats the key)

AVENTUS

They've always been like that tho coming to the Emirates at least. It's like us playing Porto which we have done a lot in the past your a bit skeptical about playing at the Estádio do Dragão but confident we'll rip them a new arsehole at the Emirates.

AVENTUS

I dont know what the best solution might be,

Exactly how we've approached the game @ home the last 2 times just attack and do our thing. Approach it how we would approached any big game this season Utd, Chelsea, Bayern. ect..

I think we can win here at home.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
Exactly how we've approached the game @ home the last 2 times just attack and do our thing. Approach it how we would approached any big game this season Utd, Chelsea, Bayern. ect..

I think we can win here at home.

Agreed, but they still got MSN who are dangerous, but i have faith in Bellerin who has the pace to recover, and Monreal is our consistent performer, a lot will depend on in which shape they will line-up I think Messi will come inside, which would mean Ramsey and Coquelin need to play a very tactical game.

It might also be a gamble to play Sanchez upfront with Walcott and Chamberlain on each side, but it might happend that you allow the pressure because we are missing Giroud who can hold up the ball.

Anyway the best decision would be to play to the team strenght, and not to the strenght of the opponent, but i might fear Wenger will play the same game as he did against Bayern this season home, if it ends up that way, it might get ugly.

Last edited:

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
We'll certainly play with high line, similarly as we did when we beat them 2-1.

If we sit deep, we'll get battered just like when we got Messi-ed 4-1 as Silvestre was our only CB because Vermaelen was occupying his occassional false nine position

Gooner n Proud

a.k.a. nasri_8 and Voice of Flamini
Im not being funny or anything but how often do they come up against such attacking talent of our quality? I said the same about Tottenham in another thread, this Arsenal side with Özil, Sanchez, Ramsey and Coquelin holding have the tools to completely exterminate any team! Look at what we've done to United, Bayern, Villa, Swansea, Liverpool and Watford in the last 18 months; with everyone fir and defending collectively we could kill Barca. Have Faith guys!

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Best way for me is play Alexis - Theo/Welbz - Ox as a front 3 and have Ramsey and Coquelin sit really deep.

Funnel them into the middle of the park get them to overcommit players like Alba and Alves ahead of the ball.

Press high once they pass it in our half, try and win the ball quickly, get it to Ox and ruin them on the counter. Standard Ferguson Utd tactic against superior possession teams, rinse and repeat.

Think we should play Özil as a quarterback, quickly distributing the ball from deep to runners. Now with Welbz back with so many pacey options. Wingers have to go all out imo.

Coolin

Doesn't appreciate the mighty Nacho
A lot of it boils down to holding our nerve. We'll have several opportunities to break, it's just a case of whether we have the quality to pick the right passes when they're on, and the temperament to keep the ball when they're not.

The last thing we want is for Barca to camp us in our own box and everytime we get the ball we can't string more than 3 passes together before we get dispossessed.

That's what I see every week in La Liga, and something I can easily see happening to us if we don't hold our nerve.

CJJ

Established Member
Best way for me is play Alexis - Theo/Welbz - Ox as a front 3 and have Ramsey and Coquelin sit really deep.

Funnel them into the middle of the park get them to overcommit players like Alba and Alves ahead of the ball.

Press high once they pass it in our half, try and win the ball quickly, get it to Ox and ruin them on the counter. Standard Ferguson Utd tactic against superior possession teams, rinse and repeat.

Think we should play Özil as a quarterback, quickly distributing the ball from deep to runners. Now with Welbz back with so many pacey options. Wingers have to go all out imo.
We can also just lie down on all four and let them pound us.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

We can also just lie down on all four and let them pound us.

Not really the same is it?

You can aggressively counter teams, it's how Utd bummed us for years. Pressing high against them is jokes, put pressure on Iniesta and Rakitic, get on them quick and interrupt their rhythm.

Get the ball out wide quickly and counter on them. F*ck knows teams have been doing it to us for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom