• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CS: Arsenal vs Manchester United | 08/08/04

Jose_Reyes_2005

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Looks like alot of players will be missing for both us and united -

All 3 of vieira, campbell, and edu are definately out - and i dont think flamini is available because he hasnt been registered yet - Thierry Henry has made a speedy recovery but the bench is the best he can do, according to reports. And Freddie Ljungberg is also set to be out due to a minor rib injury. I've also read quite a few previews that say Ashley Cole is facing a fitness test on a calf problem.

Thats 7 key players all likely to miss out.

I hope freddie and ashley can make it but i doubt Wenger will risk them in a game like this.

So here's what i expect the lineup to be:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - Lehmann - - - - - - - - - - - -

Lauren - - - - - Toure - - - - Cygan - - - - - Clichy

Pennant - - - - Gilberto - - - ??? - - - - - - Pires

- - - - - - - - - - Bergkamp - - - Reyes - - - - - -

With edu, flamini and vieira all out - who can partner gilberto ?

Ridge

wenger tried cygan + kolo in the ajax game. does that mean cygan is ahead of senderos during sol's absence?

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
i havent heard about Ashers being injured... but Clichy isnt really too much of a step down anyway... in the middle maybe Cesc? not sure really.... maybe move Pires to the middle, and bring in RvP on the left? of put RvP in the middle more as a CAM and have Gilberto as a CDM? seems like both squads are fielding weaker teams... ManU arent going to have RvN, Ronaldo, Heinze, and many of their normal first teamers havent played hardly at all in the preseason... not to mention they have their CL qualifier 3 days later

Jose_Reyes_2005

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
why are brazil having games at such a random time??

He's not out because of any brazil game he's out because Arsène told him to go on a 3 week holiday after copa america.

He'll be back by the everton game but then he's off with gilberto to play in a brazil game 3 days later. :?

Jose_Reyes_2005

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
wenger tried cygan + kolo in the ajax game. does that mean cygan is ahead of senderos during sol's absence?

I dont think senderos will be rushed into the first team. He probarly has what it takes to be the number 1 backup central defender instead of cygan - but for now i think Arsène is happy with cygan.

Jose_Reyes_2005

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I'm beginning to think we need a 5th first team central midfielder.

Edu and Gilberto will have to go away on international duty every once in a while which just leaves us with vieira and flamini - and if one of them gets injured then Cesc is the best we can do - and he's way too young to be in the side. :?

Maybe thats why we'r being linked with all those central midfielders ! :idea:

Mark

Established Member
Maybe this is a chance for Cesc to impress. He would be given a realtive amount of freedom to go forward if partnered with Gilberto. I can't see it happening though. Pires will probably be moved into the centre with Reyes or RvP on the left.

Jose_Reyes_2005

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
If Pires would play in central midfield then he's going to have to do alot of defending isnt he ?

With Pennant and RVP on the wings we already have 2 attacking midfielders .... we cant possible have 3 attacking midfielders with only gilberto defending .... :?

By the way, looks like wenger IS looking for a 5th central midfielder ...

http://www.sublimefootball.com/article.php?artid=3847

jc8gooner

-----------------Lehmann

Lauren----Toure----Cygan----Cole

Pennant--Gilberto--Pires---Van Persie

----------Bergkamp--Reyes

That would be my guess. CM positions look a bit weak considering there will be no Paddy, Flamini or Edu, and Ray has left.

brianfrance

Established Member
Unfortunately Flamini won't play his first Arsenal-MU. I'm disapointed for him...
I don't think Cesc will play; We'll see as Patrick says IMO, Pennant Gilberto Bobby RvP; but that's VERY offensive!
Or maybe we'll see Kolo on the right, Cygan Senderos at center back, and Pennant Lauren Gilberto Bobby on the mildfield. Not sure at all!
Wait and see !

Mark

Established Member
I don't think it's a bad lineup. Pires is more than capable of playing in the centre. Gilberto will do most of the defensive work, but I suppose we won't get as much of the attacking side we usually get from Pires, but it gives Pennant and RvP a chance to impress. Lets hope they do.

Top Bottom