• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Cygan salvages career while Lehmann fits in nicely

Alexone234

Over the last few game I think that Cygan has shown why Wenger bought him in the first place. All my friends from France told me during the summer that Cygan was like the Sol of the French League, I said he was more like the arse-hole of the Premiership.
Every last one said, keep watching, he will come good.

6 months on, and the Old Trafford Bro ha ha has opened a place up for him, and we are looking at three clean sheets from four games.

Yesterday again he had a good solid performance, and he can play some good balls into the MF or front players. I think he has earned a stay of execution.

Lehmann was great yesterday too. I thought he was commanding on almost every cross and mad plenty of saves. It was nice to hear the North Bank chant "Lehmann" in a "Seeeeaman" style.

SO much for the complete defensive capitulation predicted by every tabloid and broadsheet all summer long.

Jinn

Established Member
Yep, I was hoping Cygan would come good eventually. It was only up to Wenger whether the risk was going to be taken with our defence after some poor showings last season. Yet another of Wenger's signings to come good in their second season.

This season, he's done the hard yards and now is fitting in to the team much better than before. He's now keeping Keown out of the team.

It will be interesting to see how the situation with Lauren develops, as he should be fit for Bolton.

Ad yes, Lehmann has been a revelation for us.
Dependable, commanding and experienced: perfect.

thierrys_girl

Established Member
Cygan is doing well at Arsenal at last and Lehmann has done well to settle in. Lehmann gives me some peace of mind knowing he is in goal and nowadays im not so worried about having cygan in the team

Anders Limpar

SO much for the complete defensive capitulation predicted by every tabloid and broadsheet all summer long.

And what a relief that is :p

I really enjoy the debate in this forum wether it should be Toure for Lauren or maybe Volz when some may suggest Hoyte and what about Clichy as LB when Cole is banned or should Toure fill that gap and what about Cygan and Keown? Campbell is back to his best and Toure looks like the new lion king and we haven't even seen Senderos yet...

...the defensive crisis is over!

PolishGooner

Come on, it`s to early to say is a good player. Dont make him a star yet :p

Remember guy called Igors Stepanovs? He had a great run in first team - played 4-5 great games in League but does it me he is a great player?

Cygan is just in form but he will be soon on his level

Anders Limpar

PolishGooner said:

Remember guy called Igors Stepanovs? He had a great run in first team - played 4-5 great games in League but does it me he is a great player?

But you're doing the reverse! Judging him solely on a couple of games his first season in the EPL!!

Remember both Pires and Henry had a difficult first year!!

PolishGooner

Anders Limpar said:
PolishGooner said:

But you're doing the reverse! Judging him solely on a couple of games his first season in the EPL!!

Remember both Pires and Henry had a difficult first year!!

yeah I remember and I really hope Cygan is a good player and I really hope you are all right

SydneyGunnerFan

he played a top game yesterday and deserves all the gradatute he gets i reacon good luck to you and i hope you keep your form for the rest of the season

Andrew

He is a good player and his performances last season weren't that bad. I have always defended him against fellow supporters and now that I seem right (while everyone was bagging me at the time) I will just laugh at everyone who doubted him.

Mark

Established Member
i'm sorry but i'm still not convinced. he may have some good games but in my opinion the goal we conceeded against leicester was kind of his fault. he left that guy who scored completely unmarked. he let him run right past him and score. he may be good but i don't think he is consistant enough to play all the time. although toure has shown he is a very good RB as well as CB.

reggiepaul

Cygan was always good.

Last season we were more offensive and/or counter attacking while this season, particularly post home Inter game, we have concentrated on switching easily to a more defensive play. Meaning there was more pressure on our defence while our attack waited for a ball. It is different now because our attack drops further back when the opposition have the ball making life easier for our defence.

He was always a good player.

lewdikris

Established Member
Cygan is slow, so he'll always struggle for pace. But good defenders get round that - Terry is learning this at the minute. What was so shocking last year was how often his brain turned off - and it seems to be clicking on now. We'll only know if he can play at a top level if he performs excellently 20 times this year. If he makes use of the chance available to him ... If he does, brilliant. If he doesn't, he'll have to go, simple as that. We haven't got the space to carry people, as Wiltord's about to find out.

rachael-8

cygan didnt put a foot wrong yesterday im impressed how much better he is

jens was great yesterday,great save to stop barry ferguson and he caught every cross yesterday with confidence

A

Anonymous

reggiepaul said:
Cygan was always good.

Erm, Blackburn away last year, he was shocking!

There no doubt he is a good player, good in thr aie, physical etc. Also he is very good on the ball.
But i think he is not suited to the English game. He is so very slow and his positioning at times is erratic.

Im still to be convinced by him, also recent signs are good. I think he is more suited to marking players like Vieri and other European strikers for example than he is players like Dickov and Vassell. I know that sounds stupid but he definatly is a continental defender.

Im also still to be convinced by Lehmanns judgement of crosses into the box, but on the whole am well happy with how he is playing.

reggiepaul

Positioning is more of a key than pace. At times pace matters but if you cover most strikers well you should be ok. At arsenal Cygan more than proves his part and look at the stats (loco and inter?) - he's got it.

The factor of being faster than a striker is kind of a null point because you have to concentrate on the behaviour of the modern striker which is to pass and find position rather than outpace. How many strikers can outpace and beat defenders. These days defenders have someone to grab their position or win a floating ball. A better defender is one that covers a strikers most critical passing positions. If you hold position and block off most possibilities of passing then you are frustating a striker and making him spoil his game.

Only one striker can out pace, find space and exploit defensive play and we have him at Arsenal and there is another at AC Milan also Bayern. Three then - also Bergs.. We have two!

torgrim

I'm still smiling at the memories of the tackle he gave Bowyer last year. Sniggle. And how sweet it is to have 4 (four) decent centrebacks, Arsène Wenger is always right!

reggiepaul

Sol said:
Erm, Blackburn away last year, he was shocking!

Basically he was trying to block attacks that Pires, Parlour and co didn't compensate from offensively. His aims to fill other peoples positions lead him to look as the main culprit. It was far from the case because he was the the most committed, hard working and most concerned during that game where as everyone else never cared a pittance of the team situation.

The one man who saved us from losing more than 2-0 at blackburn? Cygan.

Latest posts

Top Bottom