• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Dani Ceballos: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Xhaka has 1 goal this season, Ceballos has 2. Are you seriously trying to claim over a season these two pose a threat to goal?
I never said that. You said nobody there scores goals. And I simply pointed out you were wrong. And that two of them players have scored in our last two games.

Over the course of a season under Arteta who knows how many they might score.

what I would say is that I expect most of our attacking threat to come from wide areas. And if we have Aubameyang, Pepe and another forward scoring 10 to 20 league goals a season then we dont need many from midfield.

I'd be curious to know how many goals Liverpools midfielders have scored or Citys. Strip out penalties I'd say not that many compared to their front men.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

So let's fact check. Liverpools top scorers this season. Salah, Mane, Firminho all more than 10 goals. The ox is on 7, Origi on 5 as is Wijnaldum. Henderson and Keita on 3. That's not a great amount from midfield. So if Liverpool can reach two CL finals and canter to the league with a midfield that isnt exceptionally creative and doesnt score a lot then I dont see much reason to be concerned.

The picture at City is slightly different. Although I think it's not as clear cut as Liverpool as I wouldn't say the likes of David or Bernardo Silva are not out and out central midfielders. even then theyve less than 10 goals. KDB is out there on his own in terms of midfield goals but he hits penalties. So that would be expected

So I'm not massively concerned if we had a midfield trio of Xhaka Partley and Ceballos. It has a nice balance and allows other areas to provide the attacking impetus.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I never said that. You said nobody there scores goals. And I simply pointed out you were wrong. And that two of them players have scored in our last two games.

Over the course of a season under Arteta who knows how many they might score.

what I would say is that I expect most of our attacking threat to come from wide areas. And if we have Aubameyang, Pepe and another forward scoring 10 to 20 league goals a season then we dont need many from midfield.

I'd be curious to know how many goals Liverpools midfielders have scored or Citys. Strip out penalties I'd say not that many compared to their front men.

I apologise then if you took what I said literally, I should have been more clear. Over the season the midfield trio you suggested doesn't offer enough offensive threat.

Regarding Liverpool, they are the exception, not the norm. There haven't been many Premier league winning title winning sides with a midfield that doesn't really contribute goals across a season. I don't really see where the assists or final pass comes from either.

The midfield you suggested is also very flat and lacks dynamism, all three players are most comfortable playing behind the ball. We need someone that is able to play on the half turn between the lines in my opinion, that can be a threat both with goals and assists. Liverpool have Firmino that does this, as well as Keita and Wijnaldum.

I'd be fine with Xhaka-Partey next season, provided we can get a player with the attributes I mentioned.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

I apologise then if you took what I said literally, I should have been more clear. Over the season the midfield trio you suggested doesn't offer enough offensive threat.

Regarding Liverpool, they are the exception, not the norm. There haven't been many Premier league winning title winning sides with a midfield that doesn't really contribute goals across a season. I don't really see where the assists or final pass comes from either.

The midfield you suggested is also very flat and lacks dynamism, all three players are most comfortable playing behind the ball. We need someone that is able to play on the half turn between the lines in my opinion, that can be a threat both with goals and assists. Liverpool have Firmino that does this, as well as Keita and Wijnaldum.

I'd be fine with Xhaka-Partey next season, provided we can get a player with the attributes I mentioned.
I think you dont appreciate the type of player Ceballos can be. he is certainly a player capable of taking the ball on the turn and driving through with it.

anyway. we will see what happens.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
I think you dont appreciate the type of player Ceballos can be. he is certainly a player capable of taking the ball on the turn and driving through with it.

He's not a 10 though, so the point stands that he's not someone we can rely on as our creative focal point. He can be very useful in controlling the game and ball progression but while he can occasionally play a final ball or have some influence in the final third, his game is about those two things really.

In short, he's a pivot player, as Arteta said, absolutely. He needs to be paired with someone more athletic than him to cover for some of his defects there or perhaps play in a midfield three with an 8 who is more offensive and creative than he is (say a Ramsey type). Certainly we need a player who can actually be our creative focal point ahead of him on the pitch.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
So a player who has been awful all season has one or two good games and everyone forgets how awful he has been.

Tale as old as time. He hasn't been good enough, get rid.

Erlis

Only Came To See Granit Xhaka

He reminds me of Ramsey somehow, only he is better positionally. Watching him yesterday seemed to me like Ramsey has returned from Juve, a ramsey who also cares to defend.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I've yet to see him do this. He takes too many touches and spends too much time with the ball. His passing isn't progressive either.

Erlis

Only Came To See Granit Xhaka

He has way better touch and control than Ramsey. He also goes missing while Ramsey is always involved.

I have to watch him more carefully to come to a final opinion but I do think that he takes too many touches just like Ramsey, maybe he has a better ball control. Not sure yet. He had a good game against Norwich and I do think that he is hardworking, with Xhaka is quite involved, and you can see that he puts effort to get involved as much as possible.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Got bypassed in CM for a bit but him and Xhaka were too far apart. He came deep to get the ball and drove forward to try snd make things happen but he doesn't have the pace or stamina for a b2b role that he played sporadically. He shows for the ball and toys but there's just not enough to his game. He and Xhaka don't compliment each other though.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
Thought he was decent again today, covered a lot of ground and was vital defensively in some areas, made some decent passes forward but never really got going. I wonder if Madrid would let us loan him for another year with option to buy.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
There is not a single player in this world that can play with Xhaka, simply because Xhaka doesn't have a single standout attribute, making it impossible to find a partner for him.

Ramsey did, but Gazizdis decided he could find better players and didn;t bother to get him on to a new contract.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
There is not a single player in this world that can play with Xhaka, simply because Xhaka doesn't have a single standout attribute, making it impossible to find a partner for him.
The system and his partner at Monchengladbach worked well for him but we have been horrendous in midfield since Gazidis stuck his nose in. His partnership with Torreira did look promising until Emery destroyed it. At this stage, I'm trusting Arteta to work it out. I feel he's here to stay as we don't have any money but I'd like a midfield revamp.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
The system and his partner at Monchengladbach worked well for him but we have been horrendous in midfield since Gazidis stuck his nose in. His partnership with Torreira did look promising until Emery destroyed it. At this stage, I'm trusting Arteta to work it out. I feel he's here to stay as we don't have any money but I'd like a midfield revamp.
Sorry, I don't follow German football that much but I would guess that they were a mid table club in a league that is less intense than the PL. That's why I'm always saying that Xhaka is a good player to keep us in EL, but for anything more than that we would need an upgrade. I don't buy that story because when you play top teams it's usually not enough that someone will cover for your flaws, every player needs to be great at something and at least good at other stuff.
That is why I always give advantage to Torreira compared to others here, amazing ability to win the ball with decent balling skills, basically what you would expect from your DMC. You know that his partner needs to be a more mobile technical player, but with Xhaka and Ceballos, you have no idea what their partner should bring.
It's not always the case that the 2 midfielders need to be different. We've seen with top Spanish teams that the two midfielders can function if they are technically superior even if they are not ball winners, but Xhaka and Ceballos are nothing like that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom