• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

David Ornstein on Arsecast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I'll never understand why Gazidis was so highly regarded among Arsenal fans who tripped over their own feet in an attempt to praise him.

Even the new structure he put in place was praised as soon as it was put in place. No one waited 5 minutes to see how well it would even work.

He negotiated some awful commercial deals during his tenure too. Gazidis would negotiate a shirt deal in 2014 to put us on par with what Chelsea got in 2010 and get called a genius for doing so. When other teams renegotiated their deals in 2015 and again blew us out of the water.

I think for a long time most of our revenue came from match day income. At a greater percentage than every other club in the league. Which showed that we were massively underperforming on the commercial front because if we had the same percentage of revenue from commercial deals that other teams had, our financial situation would have looked a lot healthier.

Bald charlatan who did nothing but hide behind the boss and up stakes and ran the second he had to stand on his own two feet.

He got stick off fans who paid attention, lot of media friends I suspect were spinning for him all the time.

Wenger was such a lightning rod for criticism, it’s only now after they’ve both gone that the truth has started to come out.

Last edited:

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

It's true that Gazidis got a lot of hate overall. But @squallman has a point that a lot of the fanbase also seemed to suddenly like him when it appeared he was spearheading the move to let Wenger go.

But I suppose that could have been because he was presenting everything like there was a clear plan in place for where things would be heading.

Yeah there were , quite a few actually. I commend him for being a great salesman . But look below the surface of his tenure . His failed miserably in his most important task which was commercial revenue , it's ludicrously bad , no 24 hr Arsenal channel which all the big Clubs have .

He jumped ship at the first decent offer , shows you where he really thought the current course was going .

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
100M budget is the minimum for us should be every summer even if we not qualify to CL. Hopefully with few sales we can get it between 150M. We need many signings this summer specially wingers and improving the defensive area.

Last edited:

scytheavatar

Established Member
He did handle the transition to a new manager well though, at least imo. Did his due diligence and interviewed a ton of candidates apparently. He created a structure that seemed to work well initially before conflicts developed between Sven and Sanllehi. The changes he made were needed, it's just a shame that he felt like his work was complete and went for a new challenge. I would've thought that overseeing the new set-up was his endgame as opposed to leaving as soon as it was in place.

If he had handled the transition well, conflicts wouldn't have developed between Sven and Sanllehi.

Tony's nose

100M budget is the minimum for us should be every summer even if we not qualify to CL. Hopefully with few sales we can get it between 150M. We need many signings this summer specially wingers and improving the defensive area.

It should be absolute minimum not including wages , however even if 100 million is the figure its nowhere near enough imho. We are heading into the abyss with this mob in charge and slowly losing a generation of fans. The kids in school wont follow this club as it offers nothing to attract a fan base.

Just cant help but feel with current direction and rumours from the club we are pencilling in 5th spot next year already.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
, shows you where he really thought the current course was going .
Not sure if that is necessarily true. He might have just been sick of the job here. Upward battle against Kroenke's tight pocket and a growing frustration amongst fans.
Not saying he was a superb man for the job but he may have had other reasons for leaving. He was here a while.

Sanis

So much for the Emery‘s promise to develop academy players.

„Mavropanos highly thought of within club“, but not good enough to be included into the 24 players list to play in Europa League.

We badly needed player like Perisic, so why not just accept that obligation to buy quality player who could make instant positive impact..

Jae

So much for the Emery‘s promise to develop academy players.

The majority of the quality academy players have gone out on loan, which is the right move in my opinion. They need game time.

Mavropanos highly thought of within club“, but not good enough to be included into the 24 players list to play in Europa League.

He's been injured all season and although he looks a talent he might not even be match fit yet.

We badly needed player like Perisic, so why not just accept that obligation to buy quality player who could make instant positive impact..

We could have done with him, he is quality but he hasn't exactly been setting the world alight recently. Do we want to be in the same situation as Özil where we are stuck with an aging, underperforming player on massive wages that we can't shift? Seems like common sense to me.

Emery is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't with some fans I think.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Would hope that's the case, and I like the idea of adding a bit more two-way players like Rabiot - who can defend and attack decently. Nkunku too. It would clog the midfield a bit though and we may need to sell to bring those guys in.

Suarez I'm not too sure on but I'll give it a shot. I just feel he's not the kind of wide player we should be bringing in - however, I think if we ever give Nelson, Saka and Amaechi the chance, they'll make the wings their own IMO. I'm yet to be convinced by Emery's youth policy, it's been decent but IMO (bar Guendouzi and maybe ESR) it could have been better so far. There's promise though, I'm optimistic.
We're not as stacked in midfield by the summer if Özil goes.
We'd have
Elneny
Xhaka
Iwobi
Torreira
Guendouzi
AMN

2 Decent players in there..

scytheavatar

Established Member

Because Perisic isn't necessarily able to be "make instant positive impact"? Nor does he have more quality than the players we already have?

Sanis

Because Perisic isn't necessarily able to be "make instant positive impact"? Nor does he have more quality than the players we already have?

I think everyone who have seen Perisic play will agree that he is class. We can't be sure how he would adapt to Prem, but we needed a winger and form his skills and abilities he looked like exactly the player that we need.

Sammy1887

New Year, Same Hate For Reed
I think everyone who have seen Perisic play will agree that he is class. We can't be sure how he would adapt to Prem, but we needed a winger and form his skills and abilities he looked like exactly the player that we need.

But for a 30 year old coming into the EPL for the first time and with huge financial package we offered him, it would have been a big risk.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Not sure if that is necessarily true. He might have just been sick of the job here. Upward battle against Kroenke's tight pocket and a growing frustration amongst fans.
Not saying he was a superb man for the job but he may have had other reasons for leaving. He was here a while.

Kroenke's and tight pockets is included in that course ;)

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
One thing that I definitely don't like about trying to force Özil to leave is that it just seems like a classless decision.

Sure, the board might not like his wages, but they made the deal. Punishing the player over your poor management just seems wrong.

If anything Wenger tried to ensure that we were a classy club, and it'll be unfortunate if we lose that.

Also, I think Özil and Ramsey have handled their current situations with the utmost class, and I think that is indicative of the club we've tried to be.

Losing classy, top professionals like these two will be detrimental both on and off the field.

Who made the deal is irrelevant, if you earn £350k pw you have to show you deserve it, Özil hasn't shown that and should go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom