• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Declan Rice: Cooking Again

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Interesting if true, find it hard to believe a manager with Pep's stature wouldn't have 100% complete control over who his club signs.
It was something to do with him being happy to keep Jesus/Zinny but accepting that it was best for the club to sell them.

I'd assume that there's something similar going on with incomings. Probably a similar approach to Klopp where he tells them the type of player he wants and they bring him a list of a few options.

Around the time we signed Rice I read something that said he wasn't a Pep target per-se but was happy with the signing and had a plan to use him.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
It was something to do with him being happy to keep Jesus/Zinny but accepting that it was best for the club to sell them.

I'd assume that there's something similar going on with incomings. Probably a similar approach to Klopp where he tells them the type of player he wants and they bring him a list of a few options.

Around the time we signed Rice I read something that said he wasn't a Pep target per-se but was happy with the signing and had a plan to use him.

I think @DJ_Markstar hit the nail on the head - I think you’re right in that there will be some smaller stature signings and particularly outgoings that he doesn’t pursue personally, but the big ticket items most definitely have buy in from across the board.

City is far too well run a club to throw 90m around on a whim.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

From the Daily Mirror earlier in the season.

Pep Guardiola has claimed Manchester City would have been attacked for spending over £100million on Declan Rice.

But as his City stars face the Arsenal and England midfielder at The Emirates today, Guardiola has admitted for the first time that he really wanted the “exceptional” 24-year-old star - and pushed as far as he could to land him.
And there goes the agenda that Pep didn't want Rice. Poof! 💨

@GoonerJay24 comments?

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
I think @DJ_Markstar hit the nail on the head - I think you’re right in that there will be some smaller stature signings and particularly outgoings that he doesn’t pursue personally, but the big ticket items most definitely have buy in from across the board.

City is far too well run a club to throw 90m around on a whim.

I remember reading that the City board had to convince Pep that Halaand would be better long term value for the club because in a footballing sense Pep preferred Kane. If you think about it Kane's link up play would be a better fit for City's total football

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
It's obviously not just Pep that makes signing decisions.

I think now though it's beyond a doubt that Pep wanted him, would have wanted Man City to pay a significant amount for him, whether he brought the clubs attention to Rice or someone else did and Pep was just on board with it.

Man City wouldn't spend £100m or whatever on a player the manager didn't want, it makes no sense at all.

Anyway Arteta wanted to build the midfield around Rice, Pep wanted him as a little brother to Rodri, so it's no real surprise Rice wanted to come here.

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
It's obviously not just Pep that makes signing decisions.

I think now though it's beyond a doubt that Pep wanted him, would have wanted Man City to pay a significant amount for him, whether he brought the clubs attention to Rice or someone else did and Pep was just on board with it.

Man City wouldn't spend £100m or whatever on a player the manager didn't want, it makes no sense at all.

Anyway Arteta wanted to build the midfield around Rice, Pep wanted him as a little brother to Rodri, so it's no real surprise Rice wanted to come here.

I think it's looking likely that Kalvin Phillips wasn't his buy. City probably thought he was good value. Pep didn't trust him and doesn't look like he trusts Nunes either. Just think those 2 together cost more than Rice

drippin

I think it's looking likely that Kalvin Phillips wasn't his buy. City probably thought he was good value. Pep didn't trust him and doesn't look like he trusts Nunes either. Just think those 2 together cost more than Rice
Phillips was pretty good value with his contract, but injuries ruined him.

GoonerJay24

He bid 90 million for him, that's a fact.

Clubs don't bid such sums just for laughs. If Arsenal wouldn't have bid more, he would have had to buy him for that sum if West Ham agreed to it. So he rated him that highly and was ready to get him to his team.

It's okay if you can't see what top managers see in Rice. You will hopefully though.

Nah, don't buy it. Football transfers aren't that straightforward, and typically, when Pep really wants someone, he gets them.

It's obvious what Rice offers. I'd go as far as to say he's a generational CDM who can become world-class, but only in the right system. Let's see what he does with us in the coming years, but I have doubts.

GoonerJay24

And there goes the agenda that Pep didn't want Rice. Poof! 💨

@GoonerJay24 comments?

I've read that interview before. Didn't Pep say Rice was too expensive and that he'd mainly be backup to Rodri there?

If so, it proves my whole point regarding Rice. Top experienced managers who've played proactive passing possession football, would never pay that amount for him. It's done now, lets hope it works out long term.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
If so, it proves my whole point regarding Rice. Top experienced managers who've played proactive passing possession football, would never pay that amount for him. It's done now, lets hope it works out long term.
I remember people were telling me Pep would never sign Halaand because Pep only likes false nines. I was told traditional fullbacks were relics of the past and Pep only wants Cancelo and Zinchenko types.

I think you're doing a big disservice to Rice. Pep got 100 points with Fernandinho at the base of his midfield. Rice is better technically than the Brazilian, but people won't like that.

GoonerJay24

I remember people were telling me Pep would never sign Halaand because Pep only likes false nines. I was told traditional fullbacks were relics of the past and Pep only wants Cancelo and Zinchenko types.

I think you're doing a big disservice to Rice. Pep got 100 points with Fernandinho at the base of his midfield. Rice is better technically than the Brazilian, but people won't like that.

For that style of play what's the most important position? Rice is nowhere near Fernandinho technically, I'm sorry that's nonsense mate. Even so, he wasn't a Pep signing but still managed to build a system to maximize him.

drippin

Nah, don't buy it. Football transfers aren't that straightforward, and typically, when Pep really wants someone, he gets them.
Pep could not get him, because Rice wanted to be a clear starter in London for Arsenal and become a legend, rather than compete at City who have 115 charges and no proper history.

He tried, but couldn't convince him, so he didn't bid more as it was futile.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
For that style of play what's the most important position? Rice is nowhere near Fernandinho technically, I'm sorry that's nonsense mate. Even so, he wasn't a Pep signing but still managed to build a system to maximize him.

So what do you actually think happened re City and Rice?

You can’t just reject something without providing a plausible alternative…

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
I think Rice made right call there is a cloud hanging over City that even without being punished yet; is going to dissuade a big player with other options. Plus let’s be honest if he helps Arsenal return to glory it is a bigger accomplishment than just helping City get another notch in their belt. I rate Klopp higher than Pep for some of same reasons. Winning when you are the richest club who also cheats relentlessly isn’t much of an accomplishment. Rice strikes me as someone with personal integrity.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Isn't Rodri like only a year older than Rice, and he's very established in that team too ..Rice wouldn't have been a out and out starter there (would have played a lot though) would have been a waste of a player of his quality to go there.

Here Dec not only gets to be the main man in midfield, but will be hero worshipped here in a way he wouldn't get there really.

He made the right choice 100%...the Community Shield win in his first game proved that!

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Isn't Rodri like only a year older than Rice, and he's very established in that team too ..Rice wouldn't have been a out and out starter there (would have played a lot though) would have been a waste of a player of his quality to go there.

Here Dec not only gets to be the main man in midfield, but will be hero worshipped here in a way he wouldn't get there really.

He made the right choice 100%...the Community Shield win in his first game proved that!

Pep wanted Rice to replace Gundogan, so him and Rodri would've played together. With a fully fit squad they would basically have had the Rice/Jorginho/Ødegaard dynamic but with Rodri in the Jorginho role and KDB as the main creator, which would've been absolutely insane.

It's been confirmed by several people with good sources that him replacing Gundogan was what he was being promised to try and lure him to City, despite how some people in this thread keep wanting to deny reality to fit their own agenda.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Pep wanted Rice to replace Gundogan, so him and Rodri would've played together. With a fully fit squad they would basically have had the Rice/Jorginho/Ødegaard dynamic but with Rodri in the Jorginho role and KDB as the main creator, which would've been absolutely insane.

It's been confirmed by several people with good sources that him replacing Gundogan was what he was being promised to try and lure him to City, despite how some people in this thread keep wanting to deny reality to fit their own agenda.

Never really seen Pep play with two midfielders like Rodri and Rice too much, tbh...Declan was certainly good enough to start for them, but just not sure he would've as Rodri has the position on lock.

Either way I don't really care, just happy he picked us over them.

Arsenal Quotes

An Arsenal fan, when you finish fourth, will say, “Hey, we’ve been in the top four for twenty years. We want to win the league!”. They don’t care that Manchester City or Chelsea have spent 300 or 400 million euros. They just want to beat them.
But if you finish fifteenth two years running, they will be happy if you finish fourth after that.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom