• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Declan Rice: Cooking Again

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Just rewatched the goal and Rice has a huge part to be blamed for that. He shouted to let go and no danger when he could easily just head it out.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Just rewatched the goal and Rice has a huge part to be blamed for that. He shouted to let go and no danger when he could easily just head it out.
Point and shout is his specialty. Just like Villa and the first Bayern game he cost us goals

GoonerJay24

It was then clear he‘s not a 100m player and it is clearer today. Still he‘s a great player imo, and good enough for a title winning team. Hoping for a better partner in midfield in the summer.

I think he's a top player with room to improve further. However, my concern has always been that he doesn't fit the style of football we've developed over the past three seasons.

People will continually be hesitant to criticize him and blame recent performances on fatigue, etc. But deep down, some of you must recognize this isn't the real problem. Rice's technical shortcomings are so apparent. I predict next season, fans will inevitably turn against him as his limitations become more noticeable particularly when we face more competent teams.

I can't believe Arteta, a professional manager, watched England's world cup match against Senegal and thought Rice is the midfielder to build his team around, under this playing style. After that, you have to seriously question the managers ability in leading us to major honours.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Just seen it as well. Shambolic on the ball as well, can't blame him for that really as it's not his game but for Arsenal not good enough. Goretzka is also mostly there for his physicality and he's a level above on the ball.

Have to hope his CL performances pick up, pathetic stuff. Useful for the donkey work in England though and I guess that's what 105m buys these days.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Just seen it as well. Shambolic on the ball as well, can't blame him for that really as it's not his game but for Arsenal not good enough. Goretzka is also mostly there for his physicality and he's a level above on the ball.

Have to hope his CL performances pick up, pathetic stuff. Useful for the donkey work in England though and I guess that's what 105m buys these days.
He may have saved Goretzka Bayern career. Funny enough Rice is the player Tuchel wanted as an upgrade on him. They may think the grass is not greener on the other side when it comes to donkeys

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I have seen Gilberto Silva outplay the likes of Zidane, Guti, Emerson, Riquelme and even Sir Vieira himself in the Champions League...all in just one season too.

While Declan has struggled badly against whoever the **** Porto had in there (we got Fabio from them, so they can't be very good) and some balding random Austrian guy I have never heard of before tonight.

But because tactics are so advanced now that we have a keeper that can't make saves, a left back that can't defend, strikers that can't score goals and players who can't think for themselves anymore...that already means he is better than an Invincible World Cup winning midfielder.

Good example the last few weeks that while we have some quality players, they are a ways off being compared to proper legends of this club...

giphy.gif

PS...still hope Rice (and Saka too) can win the Euros this summer, was just being a little too petty post the Villa disaster 😅

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
The sad thing is that the 2 or 3 times he was his typical aggressive self, he created turnovers high up the pitch that led to dangerous scenarios which we didn't make any use of. I had initially blamed the yellow card on his poor performance in the first leg but after seeing it replicated against Villa where that's not an issue and yet another instance of poor positioning on the goal today, the conclusion has to be that while he has learned a lot very quickly and been a great signing overall, he is still out of his depth in some key areas and unfortunately it has showed at the worst possible time. To be fair, Rodri was like this in some respects his first season at City so there is certainly hope at Rice's still young age to sort these things out and grow into these big moments at the business end of the season.

BBF

Bit of an enigma this guy. He has been a big positive but he is also incredibly reluctant to be creative in case he loses the ball. That pass to an offside Saka was what you regularly expect from an elite player in his position but he never does it. Shows he can, then just doesn't bother.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Bit of an enigma this guy. He has been a big positive but he is also incredibly reluctant to be creative in case he loses the ball. That pass to an offside Saka was what you regularly expect from an elite player in his position but he never does it. Shows he can, then just doesn't bother.
I think he's up against it from a mental standpoint in the sense that at West Ham (and maybe @Dokaka can either confirm or refute my thought here) they have historically under Moyes been a team that wants to be safe and basic first and foremost so that programming if you will is still in there.

Now he has obviously broadened his horizons a bit by playing some more intricate passes since he's joined and he's learned our defensive structure remarkably quickly but instinctually when you've played for Moyes so long and you still play for Southgate with the national team in addition to having to listen to Arteta's neurotic rambling for 90 minutes, there must be an apprehension in his position to take risks just on an instinctual and still somewhat instructional level.

Even Saliba makes less line splitting passes than he was making last season ostensibly because Arteta has told him not to (though in recent weeks when we've stalled he has tried to carry the ball and make more adventurous passes to try to make things happen). I just feel like he's gone too far in making us this great defensive side which we are most of the time but it has taken some of the freedom and relaxation that the players need for moments when they're behind and need to produce something and Rice having never really had the freedom seems to be most married to the rigidity since it's more familiar.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Glad more of you are finally waking up!
He is a victim of todays football where water carriers have received status they don’t deserve. Players like him always existed and their job was to do the dirty work for playmakers. But we have put guys like him on the same level as far more talented. It was only 2 months ago people in here were rating him over Ødegaard

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
If Rice is worth 105m god wonders how much Lainer is worth.
Put Jorginho next to him and suddenly Lainer would need to be a combination of Pirlo, Makelele, and Vieira and would look like a white Coqueline.

People are absurd when it comes to Rice, they don't even know what they want from him. Rice doing everything ain't gonna work, we can discuss it next season once we have a baller next to him, if Edu and Arteta don't mess it up again this summer

Tnegs

Meh after seeing some of you lot turn on Ødegaard for a few bad performances early in the season it’s no surprise to see Rice who has been world class for us and motm in our biggest games against City and Pool being in the firing line now.

GoonerJay24

He is a victim of todays football where water carriers have received status they don’t deserve. Players like him always existed and their job was to do the dirty work for playmakers. But we have put guys like him on the same level as far more talented. It was only 2 months ago people in here were rating him over Ødegaard

I would say Rice is more than just a water carrier, due to his positional intelligence, which allows him to intercept and cut off passing lanes effectively. This type of player has always had a place in English football. However, my point is that his best attributes do not align with our style; so why invest so much in him? People overcomplicate football, but fundamentally the game boils down to simple principles. What style have we been developing in recent years? Possession-based. What is the main technical component of this style? Passing. What is Rice's best technical attribute when in possession? Driving with the ball. Is he an elite passer i.e. Rodri, Alonso, Busquets? No.

It’s baffling then, that an astute coach like Mikel, who extensively analyzes football, fails to recognize the essential player profiles needed to maximize his game model. In possession-focused teams, the number 6 role is crucial, yet Rice lacks the close control and passing accuracy to justify such a hefty price tag. His struggles were evident during the World Cup; take, for example, England's match against Senegal in the round of 16.

Now, because he was so costly and has been significantly overhyped, Mikel is hesitant to substitute him during games. I’ve maintained this position all season, slated both here and on Twitter. Yet now, these same people are beginning to question him. He's getting paid a lot of money and lives comfortably but, I actually feel sorry for Declan.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Obvious he struggles a lot progressing the ball, and needs a player next to him in deeper positions helping him out.

We had no chance when Havertz and Rice both dropped back one.

Arsenal Quotes

I've never been a goalscorer. I've only owned goals. Good own goals.

Steve Bould

Latest posts

Top Bottom