• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Diego Carlos

ChefMan21

Mari is expected to be fit for the start of the season, perhaps not match fit but at least in full time training.

Chambers & Mustafi are the ones that will miss the first part of the season, meaning we won't be able to sell them.

I think we'd want a minimum of three, and ideally four, match fit CB's to create some competitive tension in the squad, so bringing in another (loan or permanent) seems a reasonable proposition. Can't discount an injury to Luiz, Holding, Saliba in pre-season, so that would mean we'd be down to two without a signing.

Who can we get rid of though? We'll have like 8 CBs
My guess is:
  • Sokratis - out, unless we pick up injuries in the preseason
  • Chambers - stay for depth and home-grown requirements
  • Mavro - loan, maybe sold
  • Mari, Luiz, Mustafi, Saliba - kept
  • Holding - depending on how we fare in the market, a loan to develop, sold, or stay for depth.
The link to a defender doesn't actually surprise me, because it would almost be a domino effect for the above (and is an opportunity for Arteta to put his stamp on the defence, which he may well look to do, certainly in the midfield but perhaps at CB as well).

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

mertkos.jpg

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Is that not usually the reference point for a lot of CB pairings tho? One is more aggressive and goes toward the ball, while the other is more the reader of the game. Like Vidic and Ferdinand for example. Vidic the more aggressive type, Ferdinand more composed reader of the game. Like I mean it's not always the case, sometimes depending of style of play teams will have two CB's who're aggressive and try to win the ball, or the other flip side is also the case for some teams. But I do think a lot of CB partnerships do have one CB being aggressive the other being the reader who sits back a bit.

True, i just find it funny how Per and Kos have become the template for that, they really took it to the extremes. You're either tall/slow/intelligent/organiser or short/aggressive/quick/passer, nothing in between :lol:

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

True, i just find it funny how Per and Kos have become the template for that, they really took it to the extremes. You're either tall/slow/intelligent/organiser or short/aggressive/quick/passer, nothing in between :lol:

Yeah in fairness I think if we had a defender as slow as Per was now then we might be in massive trouble because good positioning can only get you so far if you're playing a high-line lack of pace will definitely be exposed, especially in a back four, I think in a 3 you might get away with it if you've got two relatively quick CB's alongside you.

ChefMan21

Already loaned to Stuttgart ;)
Yes, I know, what I meant is that he's on loan, but don't necessarily think he has a long-term future at the club, so they might use his loan as a sale platform. Should clear that up in my post but can't be arsed :lol:

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
So how much are Sevilla expecting to get for him?
Theres zero chance we will pay his release clause which is around 70m

Tom349

They brought him for 15m euros so depending on interest from other clubs anywhere between 35-50m I would suspect. Lets say no other clubs go in for him with Liverpool looking at Kabak and City going after Ake 35m could potentially get it done. I couldn't see Sevilla and Monchi won't turn down a 20m profit in the space of 12 months in this current climate. Is 27 year olds and should they not sell him now his value wouldn't go up should they keep him for another season I wouldn't have thought.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
His release clause is high but i doubt it's 70m. Sevilla in CL so they are not in pressure to sell unless they having troubles financially

Shalmaneser V

I like him and Kounde as a partnership, Carlos is more of a stopper in the Per role while Kounde is more of their Koscielny.

Sevilla are a bit loose at the back at though at times but they’re a new partnership and both are very talented.

Kounde is the one we should be targeting.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Kounde is the one we should be targeting.

He’s talented but he’s a bit short and he’s made quite a few clangers this season.

He’s one for the future but I’d worry if our starting partnership is him and Saliba next year.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Any La Liga perverts think he’d be good or is he another favela dweller like Gabriel?

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Is he above 6 foot tall and fast?

Just want someone who can actually recover. Players like Mari, Luiz and Holding have to be perfect all the time.

I want somebody who could have prevented that Son goal in the North London Derby.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Is he above 6 foot tall and fast?

Just want someone who can actually recover. Players like Mari, Luiz and Holding have to be perfect all the time.

I want somebody who could have prevented that Son goal in the North London Derby.

I want to know this too. Anyone know if he has any acceleration?

Latest posts+

Top Bottom