• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Discrimination in football

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Practically every time I'm at the stadium the (mostly) well-behaved Emirates crowd is bombarded with exhortations to "kick it out", support LGBTQIFZ or pride, stamp out anti-Semitism, respect the handicapped, etc etc etc

Iran bans the televising of a Bundlesliga game because the referee is a woman and sweet (Fi)fa happens. Is it just me or are perhaps the wrong audiences being targeted with all the propaganda and the real culprits allowed to get away with it? I say this mindful of the racism black players often encounter in eastern Europe and, less reported, in Spain and other Mediterranean countries. And there are many other examples of active discrimination, as opposed to mere prejudice, which FIFA does nothing about except spout weasel words.

Is it not time to start getting tough with offenders and set an example by, as a starter, kick Iran out of FIFA until they end discrimination against women in football?

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Is it not time to start getting tough with offenders and set an example by, as a starter, kick Iran out of FIFA until they end discrimination against women in football?
Harsh to punish the Iranian FA for something Iranian state TV did.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Has the Iranian FA repudiated the decision of Iranian state TV?
Fair point, I'm not sure they have. But if Sky did a big remembrance Sunday display full of poppies etc. when they know it goes against FIFA regulations against political symbols, it would be wrong for FIFA to punish the FA for something out of their purview.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Why did Iranian tv ban the game? If it was for some sort of “women decency” type thing, then it’s not an issue really.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Not sure about the gay pride and LGBT stuff. English football and Arsenal seem to dine out on it, just find it weird.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It is strange, coming from a country with so many female monarchs in the past.

These stupid messages are stupid, just like the way they play the national anthem in Indian theaters.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Did banning South africa during apartheid and similar really accomplish anything?

Sports makes people met new people, broadens horizons etc etc

To exclude countries because their leaders are asshats? What has the people/athletes to do with that???

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
it won't just be women in football though, surely - discrimination against women would be across all sport, and most other areas of life too

perhaps the best punishment would be to block Iranian TV from televising any sport they bar women from

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Until the football authorities use the ultimate weapon we will continue to see the sorry spectacle of mindless thugs, often from piece-of-**** countries who won't even win a Xmas raffle in their entire pathetic histories, insulting and abusing players for the colour of their skin.

FIFA/UEFA listen up and do your job. Ban these countries, throw them out of tournaments. Allow their best players to then change their national allegiance. Football won't miss them.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Until the football authorities use the ultimate weapon we will continue to see the sorry spectacle of mindless thugs, often from piece-of-**** countries who won't even win a Xmas raffle in their entire pathetic histories, insulting and abusing players for the colour of their skin.

FIFA/UEFA listen up and do your job. Ban these countries, throw them out of tournaments. Allow their best players to then change their national allegiance. Football won't miss them.

Its really bad to see but at the same time unrealistic to expect all countries round the world to have the exact same timeline curve regarding discrimination. Not sure kicking them out helps or changes anything.

20 / 50 / 70 years is really nothing in the grand scheme of things. Just look at racial segregation / other discrimination within that time in what are seen as the more progressive countries now. I read yesterday Hillary Clinton was publicly against gay marriage until 2013 which sounds crazy now.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Its really bad to see but at the same time unrealistic to expect all countries round the world to have the exact same timeline curve regarding discrimination. Not sure kicking them out helps or changes anything.

20 / 50 / 70 years is really nothing in the grand scheme of things. Just look at racial segregation / other discrimination within that time in what are seen as the more progressive countries now. I read yesterday Hillary Clinton was publicly against gay marriage until 2013 which sounds crazy now.

I'm not for kicking out of a tournament but I am for point deductions which could lead to the same result.

I think it would help or somewhat force the offending countries to deal with it and educate the fans that its not acceptable to racially abuse players.

The fans are first and foremost in a stadium to support football, if they were to be deducted 6pts for example I would imagine that would make national news in the country and force them to discuss it, I imagine they would quickly learn not to keep doing it if it kept destroying their chances of qualification.

Then hopefully it would open up the education of why it is wrong in the first place and speed up their learning curve.

Erlis

Only Came To See Granit Xhaka

I know what you mean, mate and I fully agree to ban those ****es from all the competitions until they learn basic human manners and how to behave, but don't forget that English and Russian fans are ****e too, they wouldn't win that Xmas raffle either.

Last edited:

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Did banning South africa during apartheid and similar really accomplish anything?

Sports makes people met new people, broadens horizons etc etc

To exclude countries because their leaders are asshats? What has the people/athletes to do with that???
Actually the sanctions had quite a profound effect on our society...

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
would it be feasible to ban any team from international competition, across all sports, whose country does not have basic laws outlawing discrimination and racist abuse? that way it would extend to the population as a whole and not just bigoted football fans

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Actually the sanctions had quite a profound effect on our society...

Positive or negativ?

How true was that rugby movie with matt Damon? (pretty decent but not Remember the titans good)
Tell me more, the wiki entry doesnt say much about the effect...

Just seems to be a blunt instrument and ambigious, countries with regimes as bad and worse then apartheid SA have always been free to participate.

North Korea ffs, and Saudi etc etc

Either ban all that limit peoples freedoms and dont adhere to basic human rights and fundamental denocracy or dont ban any.
Because the athletes/people are not to blame, but here I might be talking put of my ass because i dont know how democratic sa was with in for the White people...

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
would it be feasible to ban any team from international competition, across all sports, whose country does not have basic laws outlawing discrimination and racist abuse? that way it would extend to the population as a whole and not just bigoted football fans

Group punishment is never fair

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
So how would you deal with the problem? Or perhaps you think it's just one of those things footballers should expect and put up with?

Identify perps and ban them

Ban covering your face so everyone is easier to spot probably AI out there who can do it

Latest posts

Top Bottom