• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Does the Away Goals Rule ruin European matches?

GlasgowGooner

After watching the play-offs this week it got me thinking that the away goal ruins European matches.

In the play-offs teams are rarely out of the game, the game was always open for both sides to win. While in Europe the home side tend to be a bit cautious of conceding a away goal while the away team play on the break which could lead to a bit of a non event of a match, take the first leg off Porto Vs Deportivo eg.

What do you think?

You could argue however that the away goals rule was brought into place to stop teams packing their defence in home legs hoping for 0-0 draws.

VCC

The away goals rule is stupid. I hate it. Whoever thought of it should be burned at the stake. OK, a bit harsh. But still...

If a tie ends level on aggregate and a team has scored more away goals, it means they've scored less home goals. So why exactly should they be awarded for that?

Biggus

Established Member
The away goals rule is stupid. I hate it. Whoever thought of it should be burned at the stake.

Nonsense the away goal rule was designed to make it more attractive for away teams to be more attack minded, Its fair and its very funny to hear huge home crowds suddenly silenced :lol:

Aussie

Established Member
I agree with VCC its a stupid rule. In the Div one playoffs in the first leg Sunderland V Palace, Palace won 3-2 at home and in the second leg sunderland won 2-1. There is now away goal rule in DIV 1 so it went to extra time however if there was Sunderland would have won on the away goals rule. It just ruins games.

KingReyes

Established Member
Biggus said:
The away goals rule is stupid. I hate it. Whoever thought of it should be burned at the stake.

Nonsense the away goal rule was designed to make it more attractive for away teams to be more attack minded, Its fair and its very funny to hear huge home crowds suddenly silenced :lol:

I too agree with this. The whole idea is to give the away team an incentive to play football and get the crucial goal. It has definatley made football more exciting IMO.

Gunner4life09

nah, i think it should be scraped, cause if both teams played well to win or draw the respective match and just because they didn't score more goals they don't qualify.

Biggus

Established Member
It also encourages the home team to be defensive.

Only if the home side perceive themselves as weaker, in which case they will be defensive over the two legs anyway

Biggus

Established Member
nah, i think it should be scraped, cause if both teams played well to win or draw the respective match and just because they didn't score more goals they don't qualify.

Its usually accepted as fair that the team that dosnt score the most goals dont qualify :lol:

JazzG

Established Member
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Also stops teams being so defensive when they play away from home.

Henry IV

If you go onto the website Football365 there is an article slating the away goals rule as an archaic system that rewards negativity.

KingReyes

Established Member
OneteaminLondon said:
What about away goals scored in the 87th minute of European Quarter Finals?

I think they ruin matches... :x

You wouldn;t be saying that if it was the other way around. Chelsea came to Highbury that night and played good football away from home. Good for them I say they knew they had to score and went on to score twice. Its part of the game and eventhough it is a tough rule i will admit that its there fore everyone and its up to the teams to use it as an advantage.

VCC

KingReyes said:
OneteaminLondon said:

You wouldn;t be saying that if it was the other way around. Chelsea came to Highbury that night and played good football away from home. Good for them I say they knew they had to score and went on to score twice. Its part of the game and eventhough it is a tough rule i will admit that its there fore everyone and its up to the teams to use it as an advantage.

Look at the Chelsea game as an example. We were tied - then all of a sudden we were effectively 2 goals down. What sense does that make?

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
KingReyes said:
OneteaminLondon said:

True. And I was happy well, grudgingly happy, to give Chelsea credit for what was a great performance against us. They deserved to win. But to lose like that was gutting.
Like you say though it's there for everyone.

Henry IV

I don't think the away goals rule encourages away teams to be more attacking. It encourages them to try and get one goal and be happy with a draw or a modest loss away from home (ie Valencia in 2001 at Highbury, Marseille in 2004 at Anfield). It also makes certain goals more valuable than others. All goals should be worth a value of 1. In its defence though, Manure have been nixed by the rule in Galatasaray in 1993 and in Leverkusen in 2002.

Arsenal Quotes

When you grow up with a club and you end up playing for them and winning things, you are from that club. I was born here. I was formulated here.

Liam Brady

Daily Transfer Updates

Tuesday, May 28

Arsenal have been handed a boost as Sporting Lisbon have lowered their asking price for CB Ousmane Diomande from €80m to €60m [Record]

Sheffield Wednesday are keen on signing 21 year old striker Mika Biereth on loan [The Sheffield Star]

Arsenal hope to command a sizeable fee for Eddie Nketiah this summer [The Athletic]

Arsenal and AC Milan are interested in Monaco midfielder Youssouf Fofana [Gazzetta]

Thomas Partey’s preference is to stay at Arsenal, but no talks have taken place over a new contract with one year left and the club could consider offers this summer [Charles Watts]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom