• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Eddie Nketiah: Dial 30 For Goals

Status
Not open for further replies.

akhil

Spot on.
We need forwards who are comfortable controlling the ball in tight area.
We need them to do skill moves and dribble past players for fun.
We need them to drop deep to play passes with the midfielders, helping with the build up play, keeping possession, helping to create overload in midfield.

I'm not sure if you're serious about this. I think there might've been a less than 10 strikers in the last 20 years who could do all this. All of them were probably Ballon d'Or candidates.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
I'm not sure if you're serious about this. I think there might've been a less than 10 strikers in the last 20 years who could do all this. All of them were probably Ballon d'Or candidates.
I’m not talking about the level, but playing style. I would prefer John Jules to nketiah.
Strikers should be much more than just pace, movement and finishing.

akhil

Nketiah is the Elneny of forwards. Good work rate, has the right mentality and doesn't make too many mistakes, but just not technically gifted or explosive enough to make the difference.

Nketiah has decent enough pace and strength for his size. What limits him is the lack of high level technique.

First touch, passing and shooting are not up to standard for this level.

His dribbling is also nothing special, but none of our senior forwards really have good dribbling technique.

I think Nketiah will be a fantastic Championship level forward in the future.

Goals win you games. This kid ate it up at youth level while being undersized for his age pretty much. That's the opposite of all the other youth strikers we've had over the years who could dominate physically at those levels but couldn't step up to senior football when their physical advantage was zeroed out.

Even someone as technically talented as RVP took a long time to become a consistent goalscorer. Harry Kane at 21 wasn't the player he is at 27 technically.

Having a nose for goal is an extremely valuable skill to have. First touch and shooting and passing can be improved on the training field.

Our attacking play is rubbish, once we improve that and can get him regular chances, then I'd judge him. He been working off of scraps for the most part since he's come back from Leeds.

akhil

I’m not talking about the level, but playing style. I would prefer John Jules to nketiah.
Strikers should be much more than just pace, movement and finishing.

Youtube videos can make Kolasinac look like Roberto Carlos. I wouldn't judge players on them at all. All they show is what a player is potentially capable off, nothing about how consistent they are at it and that's the important bit.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Goals win you games. This kid ate it up at youth level while being undersized for his age pretty much. That's the opposite of all the other youth strikers we've had over the years who could dominate physically at those levels but couldn't step up to senior football when their physical advantage was zeroed out.

Even someone as technically talented as RVP took a long time to become a consistent goalscorer. Harry Kane at 21 wasn't the player he is at 27 technically.

Having a nose for goal is an extremely valuable skill to have. First touch and shooting and passing can be improved on the training field.

Our attacking play is rubbish, once we improve that and can get him regular chances, then I'd judge him. He been working off of scraps for the most part since he's come back from Leeds.
RVP was like scoring 15 in half a season and then gone injured for the other half. That would have add up to 30 goals per season if he was not injured. He was always not a bad goal scorer, it’s just his injury has affected people’s perspective on him.

But anyway, does it matter if he scores a lot? Even if he scored zero goals, he was comfortable controlling the ball in tight area. He was capable to do skill moves and dribble past players for fun. He could drop deep to play passes with the midfielders, helping with the build up play, keeping possession, helping to create overload in midfield.

He helps the team a lot even if he doesn’t score. That’s the main point. What’s the point of having poachers who will disappear for 88 minutes and then score two goals? Do you know we will lost possession if they do not have the ability to control the ball in tight area? Do you know we will lost potential attacking opportunities if they can’t dribble past players. Do you know we will be overloaded in midfield (which will lead to lot of possession) if they don’t drop deeper to provide passing options and help the midfielders on the passing play?

why are we not prime Barcelona/Bayern/City, who dominates possession and play beautiful football? Because we need 11 ballers who are all great on the ball.

I’m already not happy with having one poacher on the pitch. But now we have two on the pitch together? Do you want to have 10% possession?

Last edited:

akhil

RVP was like scoring 15 in half a season and then gone injured for the other half. That would have add up to 30 goals per season if he was not injured. He was always not a bad goal scorer, it’s just his injury has affected people’s perspective on him.

But anyway, does it matter if he scores a lot? Even if he scored zero, he

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_van_Persie#Career_statistics

First 6 years at Arsenal 48 goals in 131 appearances in the league.
71 in 197 overall. Those are closer to 1:3 goal to games ratio.

His injury issues during that time were awful but he wasn't some great goalscorer, more a scorer of great goals. There were absolute peaches in there.
I'm not gonna bother with what he did 2010 - 2012. He was the best then.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_van_Persie#Career_statistics

First 6 years at Arsenal 48 goals in 131 appearances in the league.
71 in 197 overall. Those are closer to 1:3 goal to games ratio.

His injury issues during that time were awful but he wasn't some great goalscorer, more a scorer of great goals. There were absolute peaches in there.
I'm not gonna bother with what he did 2010 - 2012. He was the best then.
You have to consider after an injury, he has to pick up his form. So I don’t normally count the first few matches after an injury. If you actually watch his games, you will know that he was always an amazing player.
Also he scored less because he was playing as a second striker and inside forward back then. Im sure without his injury he would be as good as his later himself.
I prefer the earlier RVP who connects more with the midfielders.

Last edited:

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
Let's face it if he wasn’t from the academy everyone would be fuming at how crap he is

I won't say he is crap, he has some talent, but not enough for this level. At list not enough for the level I hope we aspire to reach. The same thing with players like Xhaka, Mustafi, Holding, Chambers and Kola. Not on that level of talent to really elevate the team.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
I won't say he is crap, he has some talent, but not enough for this level. At list not enough for the level I hope we aspire to reach. The same thing with players like Xhaka, Mustafi, Holding, Chambers and Kola. Not on that level of talent to really elevate the team.
Pretty much what I meant. Mid table is his ceiling

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka

But anyway, does it matter if he scores a lot? Even if he scored zero goals, he was comfortable controlling the ball in tight area. He was capable to do skill moves and dribble past players for fun. He could drop deep to play passes with the midfielders, helping with the build up play, keeping possession, helping to create overload in midfield.

He helps the team a lot even if he doesn’t score. That’s the main point. What’s the point of having poachers who will disappear for 88 minutes and then score two goals? Do you know we will lost possession if they do not have the ability to control the ball in tight area? Do you know we will lost potential attacking opportunities if they can’t dribble past players. Do you know we will be overloaded in midfield (which will lead to lot of possession) if they don’t drop deeper to provide passing options and help the midfielders on the passing play?

why are we not prime Barcelona/Bayern/City, who dominates possession and play beautiful football? Because we need 11 ballers who are all great on the ball.

I think it's asking a bit much to expect all 11 players to be ballers. We really only need our midfielders and forwards to be able play in the way you described. Every other position just needs to play with composure, limit mistakes, show good awareness defensively and have an above average first touch.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
I think it's asking a bit much to expect all 11 players to be ballers. We really only need our midfielders and forwards to be able play in the way you described. Every other position just needs to play with composure, limit mistakes, show good awareness defensively and have an above average first touch.
You’re right, don’t have to be that extreme, but at least our attacking players and most midfielders has to be good on the ball as you’ve said.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Think he's definetely underrated and has pretty much a good level in all traits you could want from a striker.

Happy to defend him in that regard, but certainly not to an extend where I put my head out an say he's a talent like RVP.

But that doesn't say too much, really, who is ?
None of the ManU kids, Chelsea kids, ... etc most likely comes close.

Guy's been touching on Henry and has been the best number 9 in the world for at least a year during his time.

I think we can upgrade in talent on him and we actually already have a higher ceiling guy with Martinelli, JJ, Balogun?..

Nonetheless, currently certainly a useful player to have and happy for him to experience all of this since it will allow him to have an actual career at a prem club later on.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Great performance imo, never gave the best centre back pair in the league a moments peace.

Pop Tart

Established Member
Played well,dug deep etc but failed to score.see people saying he done well. If laca had same game he be ****. And I am not a laca to stay at the club type. Wake up Eddie is ****

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Someone has to start scoring goals if we're going to have a good season - other than Auba.

Eddie and Laca contribute to the team's play but not scoring too many. Unless we have a couple free-scoring midfielders - maybe Saka and Willian can do this - ultimately if your strikers don't score enough goals you've got a big problem.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Someone has to start scoring goals if we're going to have a good season - other than Auba.

Eddie and Laca contribute to the team's play but not scoring too many. Unless we have a couple free-scoring midfielders - maybe Saka and Willian can do this - ultimately if your strikers don't score enough goals you've got a big problem.
The lack of composure at times has been a little alarming - this isn't something I've grown accustomed to with Nketiah, he was pretty clinical even on his bad days a couple of years ago. The two chances he had yesterday were chances he snatched at and didn't really catch them with the kind of assurance that he normally has. I think this is a mental thing that can be overcome soon. There's a ton of goals in Eddie potentially, it's just a case of refinement and belief. He has the right attitude so it will not surprise me if he starts putting them away regularly.

Mraven

Played well,dug deep etc but failed to score.see people saying he done well. If laca had same game he be ****. And I am not a laca to stay at the club type. Wake up Eddie is ****

Great comparison. One comes of his first season with senior football and the other is in his peak.

It’s clear Nketiah has the movement to become a top striker. He always get in the dangerous positions. It just hasn’t clicked yet. And his mentality is elite. Always shows for the ball and work himself to the ground

Pop Tart

Established Member
Great comparison. One comes of his first season with senior football and the other is in his peak.

It’s clear Nketiah has the movement to become a top striker. He always get in the dangerous positions. It just hasn’t clicked yet. And his mentality is elite. Always shows for the ball and work himself to the ground

Cheers mate we see how many goals he gets this season without goalkeeper mistakes as we win the league with his 30 plus haul

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant

I want baller, not poacher!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom